Control Systems: How would you find the State Equations for this simple circuit?

In summary: It looks like nodal analysis might be the most likely to yield equations you need. There are three nodes: The top node is "Vi", connecting to the left side of the voltage source. The bottom left node is "V1". The bottom right node is "Vo".The top node has a current "i1" flowing into it and "i5" flowing out if it. The bottom left node has currents "i2" and "i3" flowing into it, and "i4" flowing out of it. The bottom right node has a current "i5" flowing into it and current "i2" flowing out of it. Conservation of energy implies that the sum of currents
amr55533

Homework Statement

Consider the electrical circuit shown:

http://imageshack.us/a/img525/8163/p1circuit.png

Let the state variables be x1(t)=Vc(t), x2(t)=iL(t), and x3(t)=Vc(t); output is Vo(t). Write the state-space equations in matrix form and find the transfer function, T(s)=Vo(s)/Vi(s).

Homework Equations

KCL and KVL

The Attempt at a Solution

State Variables:

x1(t)=Vc(t)
x2(t)=iL(t)
x3(t)=Vo(t)

Outputs:

Vo(t)

Inputs

Vi(t)

Differential Equations for State Variables:

X1'=dV1/dt=i2
X2'=di4/dt=V2
X3'=dVo/dt=i5

Now this is the part that I am stuck at. I know that I have to solve for X1', X2', and X3' in terms of the state variables and inputs only. However, I can't seem to reduce the equations enough to get it into this format.

Basically, I am trying to solve for i2, i5, and V2 in terms of i4, V1, Vo, and Vi only (the state variables and inputs). Once I have these equations, I can easily put them into matrix form and solve using MATLAB. I solved a problem earlier that was exactly the same, only the first capacitor was replaced with an inductor. So, I think it is the capacitor that is giving me problems.

A few equations that I found:

Vi=i1+i3+i5+Vo

i3=i1-i2

i5=i3-i4

V1=Vi-i1

V2=V1-i3

Vo=V2-i5

Thanks for the help!Edit:

I looked over the problem again, and it seems that I can't solve for i3 without it containing a V2 or an i2. Is there any way to solve for i3 with a combination of only i4, V1, Vo, and Vi? Once I find this, I will be able to solve the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi amr55533, Welcome to Physics Forums.

If I were left to my own devices to solve this problem I might choose to use either mesh analysis to find mesh currents (then use them to find voltages as required), or us nodal analysis to get at the node voltages directly. The state variable versions of impedance are:

R ---> R
C ---> 1/(sC)
L ---> sL

Related to Control Systems: How would you find the State Equations for this simple circuit?

1. What is a control system?

A control system is a system that is designed to manage, command, direct, or regulate the behavior of other systems or processes. It uses various inputs and feedback mechanisms to maintain the desired output or performance.

2. How do you find the state equations for a simple circuit?

The state equations for a simple circuit can be found by using Kirchhoff's laws and Ohm's law. First, identify all the components in the circuit and assign variables to represent their current and voltage. Then, write out the equations for each component based on their respective laws. Finally, combine all the equations to form a set of state equations.

3. What are state equations used for in control systems?

State equations are used to model the behavior of a system over time. They describe the relationship between the inputs, outputs, and internal states of a system, and can be used to analyze and predict the system's behavior under different conditions.

4. What is the importance of state variables in control systems?

State variables are essential in control systems because they represent the internal states of a system. They provide a more accurate and complete description of the system's behavior compared to just using input and output variables. State variables also make it easier to analyze and design control systems, as they can be manipulated to achieve desired performance.

5. Can state equations be used to control a system?

Yes, state equations can be used to design and implement control algorithms for a system. By manipulating the state variables, it is possible to regulate the behavior of the system and achieve the desired performance. This is done by using feedback control techniques, where the output of the system is measured and used to adjust the inputs in real-time.