Convergence of a logaritmic series

In summary: Just remember that the comparison test only works when the smaller function (in absolute value) is positive, so you need to consider the absolute value of your function to use it.In summary, the given series \displaystyle\sum_{n=9}^{\infty}\frac{1}{(ln(ln(n)))^{ln(n)}} converges according to the comparison test. By using n^2 as a comparison function, it can be shown that \displaystyle ln(ln(n))^{ln(n)} = n^{ln(ln(ln(n)))} is smaller in absolute value and thus the series converges.
Rono

Homework Statement

Analyze the convergence of the following series, describing the criteria used:
[itex]\displaystyle\sum_{n=9}^{\infty}\frac{1}{(ln(ln(n)))^{ln(n)}}[/itex]

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

Wolfram Alpha says it converges due to comparison test, however I can't find to get a proper comparison. My main attempt was starting with [itex]\displaystyle ln(n)< n[/itex] and, starting from there, getting:
[itex](ln(ln(n)))^{ln(n)} < (ln(n))^{ln(n)} < n^{ln(n)} < n^{n}[/itex]
However, after getting their reciprocal, I manage to prove [itex]\frac{1}{n^{n}}[/itex] converges, but that is inconclusive. Any idea to which function I should start with to get the comparison test right?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to show it converges, then you need to replace [itex] \ln(\ln(n))^{\ln(n)} [/itex] with something that is smaller than it, not larger. That means you need to think of a function which is smaller than ln(n) to replace some of those logs with.

It might help to remember that whenever there's a ln(n) in the exponent, you can do some algebra on it to rewrite your function!

Likes 1 person
All right, managed to get [itex]\displaystyle ln(ln(n))^{ln(n)} = n^{ln(ln(ln(n)))}[/itex]. Guess using [itex]n^{2}[/itex] as the comparison function would work, right? Because at infinity, [itex]n^{ln(ln(ln(n)))} ≈ n^{n}[/itex], therefore I would it should converge.

I don't think that it looks anything close to nn but I agree that n2 is a good comparison.

Related to Convergence of a logaritmic series

1. What is a logarithmic series?

A logarithmic series is a mathematical series in which each term is the logarithm of the previous term, usually with a common base. It can be written in the form of ∑(logb(n)), where b is the base and n is the term number.

2. What is the convergence of a logarithmic series?

The convergence of a logarithmic series refers to whether or not the series approaches a finite limit as the number of terms increases. In other words, it determines if the series has a finite sum or if it diverges to infinity.

3. How do you determine the convergence of a logarithmic series?

The convergence of a logarithmic series can be determined by using the ratio test, which involves taking the limit of the absolute value of the ratio of consecutive terms. If the limit is less than 1, the series converges; if it is greater than 1, the series diverges; and if it is equal to 1, the test is inconclusive.

4. What are some common examples of convergent logarithmic series?

One common example is the Mercator series, which is used to compute the natural logarithm of a number. Another example is the Taylor series for the natural logarithm function, which can be used to approximate the value of the function at a given point.

5. Why is the convergence of a logarithmic series important?

The convergence of a logarithmic series is important because it allows us to determine the behavior of the series as the number of terms increases. This can be useful in various applications, such as in calculus, where it is used to approximate functions, or in computer science, where it is used in algorithms for efficient computation of logarithms.