Convergence of a Sequence of Partial Sums

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the convergence of a sequence of partial sums and the convergence of the original sequence. It is stated that if the sequence of partial sums converges, then the original sequence also converges, but the reverse may not be true. The concept of Cauchy sequences is mentioned and it is proven that the convergence of the sequence of partial sums implies the convergence of the original sequence.
AKJ1

Homework Statement

Hi, I am reviewing a practice exam for my course and I am a bit stuck.

"Assume that a sequence of partial sums (s_n) converges, can we also then say the sequence a_n is convergent? Does this statement go both ways?

Answer: Yes, yes"

The Attempt at a Solution

On our exam, we merely pick yes or no for these type of questions, but I actually want to know why this is true. I can't find a counter example to say its false, but I don't actually know why its true.

My intuition:

A sequence of partial sums would be something like,

A1 , A1 + A2 , A1 + A2 + A3... So if this is convergent, the limit exists.

Now I am having difficulty directly following from this that the sequence a_n is also convergent.

S1 = A1
S2 = A1+A2
if we just apply the limit to both sides and show they both exist...is that enough? Is it possible one side will go to infinity?

In essence, for the limit of the partial sums to exist, we require that the terms of a_n decrease?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the meaning of "a sequence of partial sums (s_n) converges" ?
If that means ##s_n \rightarrow l## it also means ##s_{n-1} \rightarrow l##, right ?
What is the consequence for ##a_n## ? :rolleyes:

Theorem 3.2 http://web.mat.bham.ac.uk/R.W.Kaye/seqser/intro2series.pdf

Are you familiar with the concept of "Cauchy sequence"? It's pretty easy to prove the following implications:

##(s_n)## is convergent ##\Rightarrow## ##(s_n)## is Cauchy ##\Rightarrow## ##a_n\to 0##.

For the question of whether convergence of ##(a_n)## is sufficient to ensure convergence of ##(s_n)##, consider the series ##\sum_{n=1}^\infty\frac 1 n##.

1. What is a partial sums sequence?

A partial sums sequence is a series of numbers that are added together, starting from the first term and continuing until a certain point. The sum at each point is called a partial sum.

2. What is the formula for finding the nth partial sum in a sequence?

The formula for finding the nth partial sum in a sequence is Sn = a1 + a2 + a3 + ... + an, where a1 is the first term and an is the nth term in the sequence.

3. How is a partial sums sequence different from a regular arithmetic sequence?

A partial sums sequence is different from a regular arithmetic sequence because in a partial sums sequence, the terms are added together to form the next term, while in an arithmetic sequence, each term is obtained by adding a constant value to the previous term.

4. What is the significance of partial sums sequences in mathematics?

Partial sums sequences have many applications in mathematics, including in the study of infinite series, convergence and divergence of sequences, and in the construction of mathematical proofs and models.

5. How can partial sums sequences be used in real-world situations?

Partial sums sequences can be used to model real-world situations that involve a series of additions or accumulations, such as compound interest, population growth, and the accumulation of resources or materials over time.