Convergence of iterative method and spectral radius

In summary, convergence in iterative methods refers to the property of approaching a solution as the number of iterations increases, while in the context of spectral radius, it means the spectral radius of the iteration matrix approaches 0. The spectral radius is related to the convergence rate of an iterative method, with a smaller value indicating faster convergence. It is an important measure of stability and convergence, calculated by finding the eigenvalues of the iteration matrix. Some common iterative methods that rely on the spectral radius for convergence include the Jacobi, Gauss-Seidel, and SOR methods.
IniquiTrance

Homework Statement

Show that if given [itex]\mathbf{x}_0[/itex], and a matrix [itex]R[/itex] with spectral radius [itex]\rho(R)\geq 1[/itex], there exist iterations of the form,
[tex]\mathbf{x}_{n+1}=R\mathbf{x}_0+\mathbf{c}[/tex]
which do not converge.

The Attempt at a Solution

Let [itex]\mathbf{x}_0[/itex] be given, and let [itex](\lambda_0,\mathbf{v}_0)[/itex] be the eigenpair corresponding to [itex]\rho(R)[/itex]. Then choose [itex]\mathbf{c}=\mathbf{v}_0[/itex] so that,
[tex]\mathbf{x}_n = R^n\mathbf{x}_0+\left(\sum_{i = 0}^{n - 1}\lambda_0^i\right)\mathbf{v}_0[/tex]

I'm not sure how to proceed from here. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The supremum of the absolute values in the spectrum of ##R## is some ##\rho(R) \geq 1##.

I think you need to show that ##(1 + \lambda_0 + \lambda_0^2 + \lambda_0^3 + \space...)## somehow diverges. So the iteration would diverge.

Zondrina said:
The supremum of the absolute values in the spectrum of ##R## is some ##\rho(R) \geq 1##.

I think you need to show that ##(1 + \lambda_0 + \lambda_0^2 + \lambda_0^3 + \space...)## somehow diverges. So the iteration would diverge.

Right, that sum diverges, but how do I show that [itex]\Vert \mathbf{x}_n\Vert[/itex] diverges as [itex]n\rightarrow\infty[/itex]? I can only show the norm is not greater than [itex]\Vert R^n\mathbf{x}_0\Vert + \infty [/itex] with the triangle inequality.

Can you show that:

##\displaystyle \lim_{n → ∞} R^n = 0 \iff \rho(R) < 1##?

Since ##\rho(R) ≥ 1##, it would be clear as to why ##||R^n||## is not bounded.

IniquiTrance said:

Homework Statement

Show that if given [itex]\mathbf{x}_0[/itex], and a matrix [itex]R[/itex] with spectral radius [itex]\rho(R)\geq 1[/itex], there exist iterations of the form,
[tex]\mathbf{x}_{n+1}=R\mathbf{x}_0+\mathbf{c}[/tex]
which do not converge.

As it stands the statement is false, since [itex]\mathbf{x}_{n+1} = R\mathbf{x}_0 + \mathbf{c}[/itex] is a constant map. Perhaps the [itex]\mathbf{x}_0[/itex] is supposed to be an [itex]\mathbf{x}_n[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

Let [itex]\mathbf{x}_0[/itex] be given, and let [itex](\lambda_0,\mathbf{v}_0)[/itex] be the eigenpair corresponding to [itex]\rho(R)[/itex]. Then choose [itex]\mathbf{c}=\mathbf{v}_0[/itex] so that,
[tex]\mathbf{x}_n = R^n\mathbf{x}_0+\left(\sum_{i = 0}^{n - 1}\lambda_0^i\right)\mathbf{v}_0[/tex]

I'm not sure how to proceed from here. Thanks!

You need only consider the case where [itex]\mathbf{x}_0 = z_0\mathbf{v}_0[/itex] and [itex]\mathbf{c} = c\mathbf{v}_0[/itex]. You are justified in making this assumption since you're asked to show that divergent iterations exist, so you only need to find one such iteration.

Thus your problem is to show that the complex sequence [tex]
z_{n+1} = \lambda z_n + c[/tex] diverges if [itex]|\lambda| > 1[/itex]. Fortunately this linear recurrence can be solved analytically to obtain [itex]z_n[/itex] in closed form.

Likes 1 person
pasmith said:
As it stands the statement is false, since [itex]\mathbf{x}_{n+1} = R\mathbf{x}_0 + \mathbf{c}[/itex] is a constant map. Perhaps the [itex]\mathbf{x}_0[/itex] is supposed to be an [itex]\mathbf{x}_n[/itex].
You need only consider the case where [itex]\mathbf{x}_0 = z_0\mathbf{v}_0[/itex] and [itex]\mathbf{c} = c\mathbf{v}_0[/itex]. You are justified in making this assumption since you're asked to show that divergent iterations exist, so you only need to find one such iteration.

Thus your problem is to show that the complex sequence [tex]
z_{n+1} = \lambda z_n + c[/tex] diverges if [itex]|\lambda| > 1[/itex]. Fortunately this linear recurrence can be solved analytically to obtain [itex]z_n[/itex] in closed form.

Yep, thank you for noticing my error, I meant to say,

[tex]\mathbf{x}_{n+1} = R\mathbf{x}_n +\mathbf{c}[/tex]

I'm just still unclear why I am allowed to assume [itex]\mathbf{x}_0[/itex] is a scalar multiple of the eigenvector corresponding to the spectral radius. Doesn't the question read, "If I am provided with some [itex]\mathbf{x}_0[/itex] I can choose a [itex]\mathbf{c}[/itex] that will result in a nonconvergent sequence"?

IniquiTrance said:
Yep, thank you for noticing my error, I meant to say,

[tex]\mathbf{x}_{n+1} = R\mathbf{x}_n +\mathbf{c}[/tex]

I'm just still unclear why I am allowed to assume [itex]\mathbf{x}_0[/itex] is a scalar multiple of the eigenvector corresponding to the spectral radius. Doesn't the question read, "If I am provided with some [itex]\mathbf{x}_0[/itex] I can choose a [itex]\mathbf{c}[/itex] that will result in a nonconvergent sequence"?

You're right, I missed that. You are stuck with the given [itex]\mathbf{x}_0[/itex].

However, I can still achieve my goal (reducing the problem to finding a sequence of scalars [itex]z_n[/itex] with [itex]|z_n| \to \infty[/itex]) by suitable choice of [itex]\mathbf{c}[/itex]. I'm stuck with [itex]\mathbf{x}_0[/itex], so it may be that the best I can do is [itex]\mathbf{x}_n = \mathbf{x}_0 + z_n\mathbf{v}_0[/itex]. But that would suffice, since
[tex]
\|\mathbf{x}_n\| = \|\mathbf{x}_0 + z_n \mathbf{v}_0\|
= |z_n|\left\| \frac{\mathbf{x}_0}{z_n} + \mathbf{v}_0\right\| \to \infty
[/tex]
since by definition [itex]\mathbf{v}_0 \neq 0[/itex].

1. What is the definition of convergence in the context of iterative methods and spectral radius?

The convergence of an iterative method refers to the property of approaching a solution of a problem as the number of iterations increases. In the context of spectral radius, convergence means that the spectral radius (largest eigenvalue) of the iteration matrix approaches 0 as the number of iterations increases, indicating that the method is converging to a solution.

2. How is the spectral radius related to the convergence of an iterative method?

The spectral radius is a measure of the rate of convergence of an iterative method. A smaller spectral radius indicates faster convergence, while a larger spectral radius can lead to slow or even non-convergence of the method.

3. What is the significance of the spectral radius in iterative methods?

The spectral radius is an important measure in iterative methods as it provides information about the stability and convergence of the method. A small spectral radius indicates a stable and fast-converging method, while a large spectral radius can lead to slow or non-convergence.

4. How can the spectral radius be calculated for an iterative method?

The spectral radius can be calculated by finding the eigenvalues of the iteration matrix for the iterative method. The spectral radius is equal to the absolute value of the largest eigenvalue.

5. What are some common iterative methods that rely on the spectral radius for convergence?

Some commonly used iterative methods that rely on the spectral radius for convergence include the Jacobi method, Gauss-Seidel method, and Successive Over-Relaxation (SOR) method. Each of these methods has a specific formula for calculating the spectral radius and uses it as a measure of convergence.