Convergence Test: \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{n}n}{n^{2}+25}

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the Ratio Test and its limitations when applied to series with non-positive terms. It also suggests using the Alternating Series Test in such cases. A proof is provided to show that the Ratio Test is consistent even when applied to non-positive terms.
rocomath
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{n}n}{n^{2}+25}[/tex]

Ratio Test

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}|\frac{(-1)^{n+1}(n+1)(n^{2}+25)}{[(n+1)^{2}+25](-1)^{n}n}|[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}|\frac{n^{3}+n^{2}+25n+25}{ n^{3}+2n^{2}+26n}|=1[/tex]

Thus, the Ratio Test is inconclusive. So what should my next step be, or other suggestions? Hmm ...

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
How about an alternating series check?

In fact, since that is NOT a series of positive numbers, the ratio test doesn't apply anyway!

HallsofIvy said:
In fact, since that is NOT a series of positive numbers, the ratio test doesn't apply anyway!

Just because contains non-positive terms does not mean one cannot apply the ratio test, since it compares the ratio of the absolute value of [tex]a_{n+1}[/tex] and [tex]a_n[/tex]. His first attempt is fine; he just happened to have a series for which the ratio test is inconclusive.

rs1n said:
Just because contains non-positive terms does not mean one cannot apply the ratio test, since it compares the ratio of the absolute value of [tex]a_{n+1}[/tex] and [tex]a_n[/tex]. His first attempt is fine; he just happened to have a series for which the ratio test is inconclusive.

Then can u show us a proof that shows that the ratio test is consistent and applies even when a series contains non-positive terms??

sutupidmath said:
Then can u show us a proof that shows that the ratio test is consistent and applies even when a series contains non-positive terms??
I suppose you believe the ratio test holds for series whose terms are nonnegative. Suppose then we apply it to the series [itex]\sum |a_n|[/itex]: If [itex]\lim |a_{n+1}|/|a_n| < 1[/itex], then [itex]\sum |a_n|[/itex] converges. But this in turn implies that [itex]\sum a_n[/itex] converges. This follows from the completeness of the real numbers, i.e. that every cauchy sequence of reals convereges.

To see this, let [itex]S_n = a_1 + a_2 + ... + a_n[/itex]. Then for [itex]n \geq m[/itex],
[tex]|S_n - S_m| = |a_{m+1} + ... + a_n| \leq |a_{m+1}| + ... + |a_n|[/tex]

If [itex]\sum |a_n|[/itex] converges, we can make the term on the right as small as we want. So [itex](S_n)_n[/itex] is cauchy, and consequently [itex]\sum a_n = \lim S_n < \infty[/itex].

Last edited:
I agree that what I said at first was misleading, possibly just completely wrong!

Of course, if the ratio test, applied to |an| showed that it converged, that would show that the series is absolutely convergent which immediately implies that the series is convergent.

If the ratio test does not work, if the limit of the ratio is 1 or even greater than 1, it is still possible that the original series converges. As Dick said originally, it is far better to apply the "alternating series test" here. If |an| is decreasing, then the series converges.

Last edited by a moderator:
morphism said:
I suppose you believe the ratio test holds for series whose terms are nonnegative. Suppose then we apply it to the series [itex]\sum |a_n|[/itex]: If [itex]\lim |a_{n+1}|/|a_n| < 1[/itex], then [itex]\sum |a_n|[/itex] converges. But this in turn implies that [itex]\sum a_n[/itex] converges. This follows from the completeness of the real numbers, i.e. that every cauchy sequence of reals convereges.

To see this, let [itex]S_n = a_1 + a_2 + ... + a_n[/itex]. Then for [itex]n \geq m[/itex],
[tex]|S_n - S_m| = |a_{m+1} + ... + a_n| \leq |a_{m+1}| + ... + |a_n|[/tex]

If [itex]\sum |a_n|[/itex] converges, we can make the term on the right as small as we want. So [itex](S_n)_n[/itex] is cauchy, and consequently [itex]\sum a_n = \lim S_n < \infty[/itex].

OOh yeah, i forgot all about that. I just did not reflect on this at all. I've got to whatch my mouth next time.

Related to Convergence Test: \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{n}n}{n^{2}+25}

1. What is the formula for the Convergence Test?

The formula for the Convergence Test is \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{n}n}{n^{2}+25}, which is the sum of alternating terms (-1)^n and n/(n^2 + 25) as n approaches infinity.

2. How do you know if a series is convergent or divergent?

A series is convergent if its sum approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases. It is divergent if its sum approaches infinity or oscillates without settling on a specific value.

3. What are the different types of convergence tests?

There are several types of convergence tests, including the Ratio Test, the Root Test, the Comparison Test, the Integral Test, and the Alternating Series Test. Each test has its own criteria for determining convergence or divergence.

4. How do you apply the Convergence Test to a series?

To apply the Convergence Test, you should first determine the general form of the series and then identify any potential patterns or relationships between terms. Then, you can use one of the convergence tests to determine if the series is convergent or divergent.

5. Can the Convergence Test be used for all types of series?

No, the Convergence Test is not applicable to all types of series. Some series may require a different convergence test or cannot be evaluated with traditional methods. It is important to understand the limitations of each convergence test and choose the most appropriate one for a given series.