Convolution integral problem

In summary: That is possible for all ##\tau \in [-T, 0]##. In summary, the conversation revolved around finding the limits of integration for a convolution integral in a signals course. The relevant equation was given as x(t) * h(t) = (from -∞ to +∞) ∫x(k)h(t - k)dk, where k is used as the integration variable. The limits for this integral are from -∞ to ∞, but the focus was on finding the range in which the integral is non-zero for the fourth interval, where 2T < t < 3T. It was determined that the range for non-zero values is [-T, 0].
Abdulwahab Hajar

Homework Statement

Hi all, I hope you all can help me
so I'm studying for my signals course and I encounter this example in the book, and the answer is there but the solution isn't... The convolution integral exists for 3 intervals and I could evaluate the first two just fine... however I can't find the limits of integration of the third.
The third one corresponds to the fourth in the picture which is 2T < t < 3T
The question and answer is shown in the picture attached

Thank you!

Homework Equations

No relevant equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe that the lower limit should be -2T + t, and the upper limit should be to T.

Attachments

• convolution.png
    convolution.png
    24.1 KB · Views: 390
Physics news on Phys.org
Abdulwahab Hajar said:
I believe that the lower limit should be -2T + t, and the upper limit should be to T
Limit for what ? This will become clear when you post your relevant equation: the definition of a convolution. Per that definition, the integration limits for ##\tau## are ##-\infty## and ##+\infty##. Of course for most ##\tau## the contribution is zero. Except for ##\tau\in [0,T]##

BvU said:
Limit for what ? This will become clear when you post your relevant equation: the definition of a convolution. Per that definition, the integration limits for ##\tau## are ##-\infty## and ##+\infty##. Of course for most ##\tau## the contribution is zero. Except for ##\tau\in [0,T]##
Yes actually the relevant equation would be
x(t) * h(t) = (from -∞ to +∞) ∫x(k)h(t - k)dk where K was used in this case instead of tau to avoid confusion...
However as shown in the file attached there is more than one interval of integration...
I need the limits of the fourth one where 2T < t < 3T

You mean: 2T < t - k < 3T

Remember: k is your integration variable, NOT t ! And its limits are ##-\infty## and ##+\infty## .

BvU said:
You mean: 2T < t - k < 3T

Remember: k is your integration variable, NOT t ! And its limits are ##-\infty## and ##+\infty## .

true, it's limits are from -∞ to ∞
however, what is the range on which evaluated integral is nonzero... when 2T < t (is constant) < 3T
if you check the picture I attached there are many intervals on which the integral is evaluated
on the fourth interval 2T < t < 3T, when is the range on which the integral is nonzero?

The point is that k is the integration variable and t - k is the argument of the function h(). You want to intgrate the section where the argument is in ##[2T, 3T]##

What is a convolution integral problem?

A convolution integral problem is a mathematical concept used in signal processing, physics, and engineering. It involves finding the integral of the product of two functions, where one of the functions is reversed and shifted. It is used to determine the output of a system when the input is known.

What is the purpose of solving a convolution integral problem?

The purpose of solving a convolution integral problem is to analyze and predict the behavior of a system when a particular input is applied. It is commonly used in signal processing to understand how a signal will be affected by a system, such as an electronic filter or an acoustic chamber.

What are the steps to solve a convolution integral problem?

The steps to solve a convolution integral problem are as follows:

1. Write out the integral equation, with the two functions to be convolved.
  2. Reverse one of the functions and shift it by the variable of integration.
  3. Multiply the two functions together.
  4. Integrate the product with respect to the variable of integration.
  5. Substitute in the limits of integration and solve for the result.

What are some applications of convolution integral problems?

Convolution integral problems have various applications in different fields. In signal processing, they are used to analyze the behavior of electronic systems. In physics, they are used to understand the movement of particles in a system. In engineering, they are used to design and optimize systems, such as filters and circuits.

What are some common challenges when solving convolution integral problems?

Some common challenges when solving convolution integral problems include dealing with complex functions, finding the correct limits of integration, and simplifying the integral expression. It can also be challenging to visualize the output of the system, especially when the functions being convolved are not well understood.