Convolution theorem property about signals

In summary, the conversation is about using Laplace transforms and inverse transforms to solve a problem. The problem involves finding the Laplace transform of a function and then using convolution to find the inverse transform. The person asking the question is struggling to understand the solution and is asking for clarification. The expert suggests looking at the problem from the perspective of convolution and provides a link to the Wikipedia page for further understanding. The person then confirms that the book answer is incorrect and shares their own solution using trial and error method, which matches with option C.
jaus tail

Homework Statement

upload_2018-2-6_17-38-17.png

Homework Equations

Laplace and then inverse laplace.

The Attempt at a Solution

Laplace of U(t-to) = 1/s e^(-tos)
x(t)-->X(s)
Laplace inverse
1/s means integration.
e^(-tos) means delay on x(t) by to.
I think answer should be C
Book answer is D.
How am I wrong?

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-6_17-38-17.png
    upload_2018-2-6_17-38-17.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 693
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm struggling to understand it. Is book answer right? I got an exam on on 10th feb on 10 engineering subjects, thus am rushing through the questions and answers.

I replaced x(t) by t2 and got the answer as C.
First I laplace transformed x(t) as 2!/s3
Laplace of u(t-t0) = e-t0s
Multiplied laplace
Used inverse transform
to get:
(t-to)3 the whole divided by 3
And used trial and error method to see which option matches this.
C is right answer.

1. What is the convolution theorem property about signals?

The convolution theorem property states that the Fourier transform of the convolution of two signals is equal to the product of their individual Fourier transforms. In other words, convolution in the time domain is equivalent to multiplication in the frequency domain.

2. How is the convolution theorem used in signal processing?

The convolution theorem is used in signal processing to simplify mathematical calculations. It allows for the use of the fast Fourier transform (FFT) algorithm to efficiently compute the convolution of two signals, rather than using the more time-consuming convolution operation.

3. What are the advantages of using the convolution theorem in signal processing?

Using the convolution theorem in signal processing allows for faster and more efficient calculations, as well as providing a better understanding of the relationship between signals in the time and frequency domains. It also allows for the application of various filtering techniques, such as linear time-invariant (LTI) systems, to be easily implemented.

4. Are there any limitations to the convolution theorem?

One limitation of the convolution theorem is that it is only applicable to linear systems. Nonlinear systems do not follow the principle of superposition, which is necessary for the convolution theorem to hold. Additionally, the convolution theorem assumes that the signals being convolved are of infinite length, which may not always be the case in practical applications.

5. How does the convolution theorem relate to the concept of frequency domain filtering?

The convolution theorem is closely related to frequency domain filtering, as it allows for the convolution of two signals in the time domain to be expressed as a multiplication operation in the frequency domain. This makes it easier to apply various filters, such as low-pass, high-pass, and band-pass filters, to a signal by simply multiplying its Fourier transform by the filter's transfer function.