Cook Meat in Water: Steak/Beef Cooking Time

• Thread starter tgt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, cooking chunks of steak or beef in water can take anywhere from five minutes to several hours, depending on the cut and quality of the meat. Some cuts are best cooked in dry heat, while others do well in broth or water, such as in a beef stew. Braising or stewing are recommended for tougher cuts of meat, while boiling is typically reserved for a corned beef brisket. A slow simmer is preferred to boiling vigorously. For a tasty New England boiled dinner, brown the meat first before adding in red wine and simmering for 3-4 hours with vegetables.
Moonbear said:
What sort of slave driver are you?! :biggrin: :rofl:

Though, yeah, this wasn't optional when I was a kid.
When I grew up you were expected to help out in all things, from food preparation , to cooking to serving, to table setting, to gardening, to preserving. I think that is the minimun we need to prepare our children to have to be able to survive. I am currently doing remedial training for the Evo Child that never quite got cooking.

Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
the Evo Child that never quite got cooking.

I've seen the lady's pictures that you put up. Believe me, nobody cares whether or not she can cook.

turbo-1 said:
If you have a cheap cut of beef, coat it with salt and pepper and garlic powder and onion powder. Then brown it in peanut oil until every surface is browned and there is some dark residue on the bottom of the pan.

Once that is done, add at least a cup or so of dry red wine to the pot, enough water to cover the meat, put a lid on the pot so that the water doesn't go dry, and simmer for 3-4 hours. Add quartered potatoes, carrots, onions, cabbage, turnip, and other vegetables that you like and simmer for at least another hour or two. Congratulations! You've got a New England boiled dinner. If you want to perfect this, take out all the solid ingredients and whisk in a very thick flour-in-water paste while simmering the juices until the juiced thicken to a nice gravy. Don't say I didn't warn you - this stuff does not last long.

Dude you're the man, that sounds so good. I am going to try that this weekend. Anything i should substitute the wine with in case my wife doesn't like the sound of that?

vincentm said:
Dude you're the man, that sounds so good. I am going to try that this weekend. Anything i should substitute the wine with in case my wife doesn't like the sound of that?
If you don't want to use wine, I suggest you add a bit of cider vinegar to the water that you simmer the meat in. Use the wine if you can, though. Just a cheap burgundy or similar. It gives the gravy a nice flavor. You can use a really cheap roast, like chuck roast because all the simmer-time makes it so tender it will fall apart. I usually brown the meat very thoroughly, and even through I use peanut oil (very high-temp oil) it smokes, so I do the browning on the side-burner of my grill, then bring the pot back inside for the simmering process. My wife and I both love garlic, so when I add the vegetables, I usually add a few cloves of fresh crushed garlic. I tinker around with spices and stuff for most dishes, but this traditional boiled dinner is great as-is. Don't be afraid of over-cooking the vegetables a bit. Part of the appeal of this meal is the mixing of the flavors. By the way, if you run the left-overs through a very coarse grinder, you'll have a wonderful hash to pan-fry with eggs for your breakfast. (Nuke a bit of the left-over gravy to put on your hash! Mmmm!)

Hashed over some eggs, yea, I'm definitely will doing that if i cook this, but not sure if i'll have any left over to do so :tongue2:

Moonbear said:
Poultry can have salmonella anywhere in it, which is also why that needs to be cooked through.
And a carrot can have a worm anywhere in it; that's why I don't eat vegetables.