What Occurs When Copper is Completely Deposited in Copper Sulfate Electrolysis?

In summary, there was a question about what happens during copper sulfate electrolysis when all the copper moves out of solution and onto the electrode. The person asking for help stated that they learn best by being shown the answer and having it explained. They also clarified that they are not looking for responses that do not include an explanation. They then thanked those who were willing to help and apologized in advance for any perceived rudeness.
BenDover
TL;DR Summary
Question about copper sulfate electrolysis
What happens at the point all the copper moves out of solution and onto electrode during electrolysis of copper sulfate? Responding with anything other than an answer with an explanation is not wanted.

Just an fyi, i learn by people showing me the answer and explaining why they think the answer they have given is correct. If i could answer the question myself i wouldn't ask for your help.

If you think I am being rude by saying how i learn best, you should replace the word rude with smart because I am taking the guesswork out of the equation and making my learning experience more effective and efficientThanks to those who actually help me like i asked, you are a good person or robot for helping me.

• Sad
Likes sysprog and BillTre
Chemistry news on Phys.org
We end up with sulfuric acid, which is itself an electrolyte.

Likes sysprog
BenDover said:
Summary:: Question about copper sulfate electrolysis

What happens at the point all the copper moves out of solution and onto electrode during electrolysis of copper sulfate?
Apparently a rude person askes for an explanation of the process online.

🐘

Likes BillTre and sysprog
BenDover said:
Summary:: Question about copper sulfate electrolysis

What happens at the point all the copper moves out of solution and onto electrode during electrolysis of copper sulfate? Responding with anything other than an answer with an explanation is not wanted.

Just an fyi, i learn by people showing me the answer and explaining why they think the answer they have given is correct. If i could answer the question myself i wouldn't ask for your help.

If you think I am being rude by saying how i learn best, you should replace the word rude with smart because I am taking the guesswork out of the equation and making my learning experience more effective and efficientThanks to those who actually help me like i asked, you are a good person or robot for helping me.
Thanks for warning us in advance. It's very helpful when I'm choosing whether to get involved or not.

Likes hutchphd, Bystander, BillTre and 1 other person

1. What is copper sulfate electrolysis?

Copper sulfate electrolysis is a chemical process in which an electric current is passed through a solution of copper sulfate, causing the copper ions to move towards the negatively charged electrode and deposit onto it as solid copper. This process is used to purify copper and create copper plating.

2. How does copper sulfate electrolysis work?

In copper sulfate electrolysis, the solution is placed in a container with two electrodes, a positive and a negative. When an electric current is passed through the solution, the positively charged copper ions are attracted to the negative electrode and are reduced to form solid copper. The negatively charged sulfate ions are attracted to the positive electrode and are oxidized to form oxygen gas and water.

3. What is the purpose of copper sulfate electrolysis?

Copper sulfate electrolysis is used for several purposes, including purifying copper, creating copper plating for decorative or functional purposes, and producing copper for use in electrical wiring and other applications. It is also used in educational settings to demonstrate the principles of electrolysis and electroplating.

4. What are the safety precautions for copper sulfate electrolysis?

It is important to follow safety precautions when conducting copper sulfate electrolysis, as the solution can be corrosive and the process involves the use of electricity. Safety goggles should be worn to protect the eyes, and gloves should be worn to protect the skin. The experiment should be conducted in a well-ventilated area and any spills should be cleaned up immediately.

5. Can copper sulfate electrolysis be reversed?

Yes, copper sulfate electrolysis can be reversed through a process called electrolysis reversal. This involves passing an electric current through the solution in the opposite direction, causing the copper ions to move back into the solution and the copper plating to dissolve. This process can be used to recover the copper for reuse or to remove unwanted copper plating.