Imperial QFFF vs Cambridge (Mast) Physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's dilemma between choosing Imperial or Cambridge for their studies. They are unsure of which is the harder course and fear that even with hard work, they may not get a distinction at Cambridge due to a general Physics paper. The speaker is considering doing the Math course at Cambridge instead, but is uncertain. They seek advice on how to prepare for the general Physics paper and ask for input from someone who is also doing the Math course at Cambridge.
Lengalicious
So I hold an offer from Imperial, under the event that Cambridge also gives me an offer I am really unsure of which to go for. Could anyone tell me which is considered to be the harder course? I'm fine with studying module based content and then passing exams specifically on that content, but I'm aware that Cambridge has a general Physics paper which seems seriously intimidating. I don't mind working my arse off the entire year, I'm used to that from my Bsc, but I fear that at Cambridge that might not be enough. Is there any real way to prepare for the general Physics paper?

My current thought process is that if I get my degree from Imperial i'll likely get a distinction plus still get excellent reputation with it, if I get it from Cambridge I may get even greater reputation but may also jeopardize my chances of getting distinction due to the general Physics test. . . Could really do with some advice!

Physics news on Phys.org
What general physics paper are you referring to? I'm doing the MAST and I don't know what you are talking about.

http://www.phy.cam.ac.uk/teaching/teachingfiles/MASt.pdf

See bottom 2nd slide, you are doing that course right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh sorry, I'm doing the Math one, but a lot of physics people are doing the Math one as well, since it has all theoretical physics courses (QFT, Standard Model, GR, String theory, etc etc). Maybe consider doing "Part III of the Mathematical Tripos"? Also a MAST.

I understand your concerns and dilemma about choosing between Imperial QFFF and Cambridge (Mast) Physics. Both universities have excellent reputations and offer rigorous programs in physics. Ultimately, the decision should depend on your personal preferences and career goals.

In terms of difficulty, it is difficult to say which course is harder as it largely depends on individual strengths and study habits. However, I would recommend researching the curriculum and course structure of both programs to get a better understanding of the content and assessments.

Regarding the general Physics paper at Cambridge, it is designed to test a broad range of knowledge and understanding in physics. It may seem intimidating, but keep in mind that Cambridge has a strong support system in place for students, including tutorials and study groups, to help prepare for this exam. Additionally, working hard throughout the year and seeking help from professors and peers can also greatly improve your chances of success.

In terms of reputation, both degrees from Imperial and Cambridge are highly regarded in the scientific community. Your success in the program and the skills you develop will ultimately determine your reputation and future career opportunities.

My advice would be to carefully consider your personal preferences and career goals, and choose the program that aligns best with them. Also, don't hesitate to reach out to current students or alumni from both universities to gain more insight and advice. Good luck with your decision!

1. What is the difference between Imperial QFFF and Cambridge (Mast) Physics?

Imperial QFFF (Quantum Fields and Fundamental Forces) and Cambridge (Mast) Physics are both graduate programs in physics offered by prestigious universities. The main difference between the two is their focus. Imperial QFFF is a specialized program that focuses on fundamental forces and quantum fields, while Cambridge (Mast) Physics covers a broader range of topics in physics.

2. Which program is more research-oriented?

Both Imperial QFFF and Cambridge (Mast) Physics have a strong emphasis on research. However, Imperial QFFF is a more research-intensive program, with a greater focus on theoretical and experimental research in the fields of fundamental forces and quantum fields.

3. Can I apply for both programs at the same time?

Yes, you can apply for both the Imperial QFFF and Cambridge (Mast) Physics programs at the same time. However, keep in mind that the application process and requirements may differ for each program, so be sure to carefully review and follow the instructions for each application.

4. Which program has a higher acceptance rate?

Both Imperial QFFF and Cambridge (Mast) Physics are highly competitive programs, and their acceptance rates may vary from year to year. It is best to contact the respective universities for the most up-to-date information on their acceptance rates.

5. What career opportunities are available for graduates of these programs?

Graduates of both Imperial QFFF and Cambridge (Mast) Physics have a wide range of career opportunities in the fields of academia, research, and industry. They can pursue careers as theoretical or experimental physicists, research scientists, data analysts, or work in fields such as engineering, finance, and technology.