Correction to a book (magnetic compass)

In summary, the article states that the end of a compass needle which points toward North is its south pole since the Earth's "magnet" has a North magnet at the North. But in reality, there is a south magnet pole (not sure about that terminology) near Earth's North Pole, attracting all magnets to orient their north poles toward it.
scottdave
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
This article (in the picture) states that the end of a compass needle which points toward North is its south pole since the Earth's "magnet" has a North magnet at the North. But in reality, there is a south magnet pole (not sure about that terminology) near Earth's North Pole, attracting all magnets to orient their north poles toward it.
I guess the confusion is because it is called Magnetic North Pole. So the article authors must've considered that it was a north pole of a magnet.

So is there any procedure for submitting correction suggestions?
The books is Everything You Need to Ace Science in One Big Fat Notebook, by Michael Geisen ISBN 978-0-7611-6095-3.
0l6DYKM.jpg

Attachments

• 0l6DYKM.jpg
    0l6DYKM.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 427
Physics news on Phys.org
This has always been confusing due to language, magnetic and geographic poles.

A magnet or compass pole that seeks north is a north magnetic pole.
Therefore the Northern geographic pole of the Earth has south magnetic polarity.

You can email the publisher. It is often impossible to change something unless there is an other edition.

Likes vanhees71 and scottdave
@scottdave I'm sure the response to my email is meant for you.
Thanks so much for writing us. You are totally right, and we will be fixing this mistake before reprinting the book.
We appreciate your sharp eye!

Evan

Evan Griffith
Editor : Workman Children’s Group

Likes dextercioby and vanhees71
Baluncore said:
Thanks for doing that. That was a quick response. I had not contacted them, yet. So now I do not have to.

Likes vanhees71 and Baluncore
Baluncore said:
So how did you go about finding who to email?

scottdave said:
So how did you go about finding who to email?
I entered the ISBN 978-0-7611-6095-3 you gave into the bookfinder.com search engine, (notice the low cost of the book, new or used). That identified the publisher as: 'Workman Publishing Company'.

I googled 'Workman Publishing Company' and found; https://www.workman.com/
That page had a 'Contact Us' link which I followed to get their info@ email address.

I emailed 'Errata. Attn: Author's name …' with the ISBN. I gave a quick description of the problem with an explanation of the pole naming convention and a link to this thread on PF.

Likes dextercioby and vanhees71

1. What is a correction to a book for a magnetic compass?

A correction to a book for a magnetic compass is a list of adjustments that need to be made to a magnetic compass in order to ensure accurate readings. These corrections take into account factors such as magnetic variation, deviation, and compass error.

2. Why do I need to correct a book for a magnetic compass?

Magnetic compasses are affected by various external factors, such as the Earth's magnetic field and metal objects on board a vessel. In order to obtain accurate readings, these factors must be taken into consideration and adjustments must be made accordingly.

3. How often should I correct a book for a magnetic compass?

The frequency of corrections will depend on the type of vessel and its operating conditions. Generally, it is recommended to correct a magnetic compass every 3-6 months, or whenever significant changes in location or equipment occur.

4. Can I correct a book for a magnetic compass on my own?

While it is possible to make corrections on your own, it is highly recommended to seek the assistance of a trained professional. They will have the necessary knowledge and tools to accurately correct the compass and ensure its proper functioning.

5. Are there any alternative methods for correcting a magnetic compass?

Yes, there are alternative methods such as using electronic compasses or gyrocompasses which do not require corrections. However, it is still important to regularly check and maintain these instruments to ensure accuracy.