Cosmological constant and vacuum energy

In summary: Thanks for your time.In summary, the vacuum energy and cosmological constant are very close to each other, and if they were always the same then the universe would be unnatural.
ftr
Since Omega-lambda is very close to Omega-matter, what could it mean if we assume they are exactly equal to each other. Also, let's assume they were always equal since coincident problem is unnatural.

Space news on Phys.org
Your use of terms is misleading in regards to your question.
In the title the vacuum energy is the same as the cosmological constant, lambda.

In your omega-matter, are you referring to the total mass including DM, radiation and energy. Or specifically just normal matter?

What you are probably looking for is the relation of the critical density vs lambda. Please confirm

Here is a quick article on critical density
http://map.gsfc.nasa.gov/universe/uni_shape.html

Mordred said:
Your use of terms is misleading in regards to your question.
In the title the vacuum energy is the same as the cosmological constant, lambda.

In your omega-matter, are you referring to the total mass including DM, radiation and energy. Or specifically just normal matter?

What you are probably looking for is the relation of the critical density vs lambda. Please confirm

Here is a quick article on critical density
http://map.gsfc.nasa.gov/universe/uni_shape.html

Thanks for the reply. Yes, you are right of course , first I used slash but I just added and., just a title. As for the question I am hypothesising if there was no dark matter just ordinary matter energy and vacuum energy. And both should add up to critical density.

Your still not being clear so I will assume the intent.

If the total actual density equals (exactly and stable) equals the critical density then the universe is flat and static.

Judging from your descriptives you may not understand why that is the answer.

in short the relation between critical density and actual density determines not only spacetime geometry but also expansion rates.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedmann_equations

Last edited:
They don't, which is one reason dark matter is the favored explanation. We can strongly constrain the contribution of omega baryonic and omega lambda to critical density, and they fall far short of that necessary to account for the measured critical density of the universe.

Chronos said:
They don't, which is one reason dark matter is the favored explanation. We can strongly constrain the contribution of omega baryonic and omega lambda to critical density, and they fall far short of that necessary to account for the measured critical density of the universe.

add to that the contributions of omega-relativististic particles such as neutrinos (in relativistic energy levels) or other factors to overall actual energy-mass density factors (radiation/energy
)

One of the problems associated with forum based answers. Is the specific need of clarity on what the OP is asking for. This requires accurate feedback from the OP. Not only on a specified target but also a target of understanding vs the OP's line of thinking.

To answer your questions accurately in an educational manner requires us to formulate your thoughts. This is indicative of why I ask for better clarity on your understanding on the
related post

Last edited:
Mordred said:
One of the problems associated with forum based answers. Is the specific need of clarity on what the OP is asking for. This requires accurate feedback from the OP. Not only on a specified target but also a target of understanding vs the OP's line of thinking.

To answer your questions accurately in an educational manner requires us to formulate your thoughts. This is indicative of why I ask for better clarity on your understanding on the
related post

ok Thanks. I have been going through some books to get some more info, but I am getting a bit confused. So I hope I can clarify my question shortly. but yes, it seems a static universe is the answer like the great blunder of Einstein. But I wonder what values he used.

1. What is the cosmological constant?

The cosmological constant, denoted by the Greek letter lambda (Λ), is a parameter in Einstein's theory of general relativity that represents the energy density of the vacuum of space. It is used to account for the observed acceleration of the expansion of the universe.

2. How does the cosmological constant affect the universe?

The cosmological constant has a repulsive effect on the expansion of the universe, causing it to accelerate. This means that the distance between galaxies is increasing at an ever-increasing rate.

3. What is vacuum energy?

Vacuum energy, also known as zero-point energy, is the lowest possible energy state that a quantum mechanical physical system may have. It is the energy associated with the empty space between particles in the universe.

4. How are the cosmological constant and vacuum energy related?

The cosmological constant is a measure of the vacuum energy density of the universe. In Einstein's theory of general relativity, the cosmological constant is directly proportional to the vacuum energy density. In other words, as the vacuum energy increases, so does the value of the cosmological constant.

5. Can the cosmological constant change over time?

There is currently no evidence to suggest that the value of the cosmological constant changes over time. However, some theories, such as the quintessence model, propose that the cosmological constant may vary over time, leading to different rates of expansion in the universe.