Could Dark Energy lead to a big bang?

In summary: The only way that they could cause the universe to expand faster and faster is if the rate of expansion was changing. But the rate of expansion is still slowing down, and the simplest models have the rate of expansion gradually slowing to a constant value (given by the cosmological constant).
newjerseyrunner
I had a thought a while ago, but it was removed because I cited a youtube video of physicists talking rather than papers, so I'll have another go.

My thought was that the universe could be cyclical and infinite even if heat death is the eventual end of the universe as we know it. During the big bang, inflation could have caused virtual particles to not be able to annihilate each other because space expanded faster than light (Hawking radiation.)

The universe is known to be expanding and accelerating because of dark energy. When calculating all of the known forces out (fully aware that our understanding of the universe is incomplete,) we determine that the universe should die of heat death with entropy increasing to the maximum and space expanding forever.

So that brings me to my question: if dark energy causes the universe to expand faster and faster, eventually, shouldn't it get to such a degree that it's expanding faster than light again? It this point, wouldn't the virtual particles that are constantly created and destroy be unable to destroy each other and suddenly fill the universe with gamma rays and basically start the whole of cosmic evolution again?

Space news on Phys.org
As far as we know, dark energy doesn't cause the universe to expand faster and faster. The rate of expansion is still slowing down, and the simplest models have the rate of expansion gradually slowing to a constant value (given by the cosmological constant).

This is called an accelerated expansion because if the expansion rate is constant, then things get faster as they get further away from one another, so that objects within the universe are accelerating away from one another.

Oh ok, so the universe is accelerating because of scale, but the expansion at the scale of virtual particles, it's actually slowing? I didn't know that, thanks.

newjerseyrunner said:
Oh ok, so the universe is accelerating because of scale, but the expansion at the scale of virtual particles, it's actually slowing? I didn't know that, thanks.
The rate of expansion is defined as velocity over distance. That is, at a given rate of expansion, a galaxy that is twice as far away is receding twice as fast. If that rate is a constant, then as things get further, they recede faster.

Virtual particles don't come into it.

1. What is dark energy?

Dark energy is a theoretical form of energy that is believed to make up about 70% of the universe. It is thought to be responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe.

2. How could dark energy lead to a big bang?

The theory is that dark energy has a repulsive force that is causing the expansion of the universe to accelerate. This could eventually lead to a "big rip" scenario, where the universe expands so much that everything is torn apart, resulting in a new big bang.

3. Is there evidence to support this theory?

There have been various observations and experiments that support the existence of dark energy, but there is currently no concrete evidence that it will lead to a big bang. It is still a theoretical concept that is being studied and debated by scientists.

4. Could dark energy eventually cause the universe to collapse?

There is a possibility that dark energy could eventually reverse its repulsive force and become a negative energy, causing the universe to collapse in a "big crunch". However, this is just one of many theories and there is no conclusive evidence for it.

5. How does dark energy relate to the concept of the big bang?

The big bang theory is currently the most widely accepted explanation for the origin of the universe. Dark energy is just one potential factor that could play a role in the future evolution of the universe, but it is not directly connected to the initial event of the big bang.