How Is Angular Speed Calculated in a Falling Bucket Physics Problem?

In summary, the conversation includes a question about determining the angular speed of a cylinder attached to a bucket of water falling into a well. The necessary equations and information are provided, including the fact that there is no slipping between the rope and cylinder. The answer is 160 rads/s, and the conversation also includes a discussion on how to solve the problem using the equation that relates linear velocity to angular velocity.
AlphabetTown
Hi! I really need help answering this question. I am really bad at Physics and have no idea what I'm doing, so if someone could help me out I would really appreciate it! Thank you!

Homework Statement

8. A bucket filled with water has a mass of 23 kg and is attached to a massless rope, which in turn, is wound around a 0.050-m radius cylinder that rotates about a frictionless axle at the top of a well. The bucket is raised to the top of the well and then released to fall back into the well. What is the angular speed of the cylinder at the instant the bucket is moving at 8 m/s?

The answer is 160 rads/s, but how?

Homework Equations

(I think)

Torque = Force * radius
Alpha = [omega (final) - omega (initial)]/time
Alpha = linear speed/angular speed

The Attempt at a Solution

Torque (T) = F (force) * r (radius)
11.5 Nm = (25 kg)(10 m/s^2) * ( .050 m)

I have no idea where to go from here or if it's even relevant to the problem :(

Thanks again in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Because the rope is wound on the cylinder, you can assume there is no slipping between the rope and the cylinder. So the speed of the rope is always the same as the tangential speed of the cylinder. Knowing that, and the radius of the cylinder, you should be able to determine its angular speed.

I think the problem is incomplete. It should also state that there is no slipping between the rope and cylinder. Assuming this to be true, the relative velocity between them is zero. You already know the velocity of rope at that instant. Now think of that equation that relates linear velocity to angular velocity.

utkarshakash said:
I think the problem is incomplete. It should also state that there is no slipping between the rope and cylinder. Assuming this to be true, the relative velocity between them is zero. You already know the velocity of rope at that instant. Now think of that equation that relates linear velocity to angular velocity.
It's complete.

Everything is there to answer the question ... plus some extraneous information.

Hi there,

I'm happy to help with your AP Physics problem! First, it's important to understand the problem and what it's asking for. It seems like we have a bucket filled with water (mass = 23 kg) attached to a massless rope and a rotating cylinder with a radius of 0.050 m. The bucket is raised to the top of the well and then released to fall back into the well. We are asked to find the angular speed of the cylinder at the instant the bucket is moving at 8 m/s.

To solve this problem, we can use the concept of conservation of energy. When the bucket is at the top of the well, it has potential energy due to its height. As it falls, this potential energy is converted into kinetic energy. At the same time, the rotating cylinder is also gaining kinetic energy.

To find the angular speed of the cylinder, we can use the equation:

KE (kinetic energy) = 1/2 * I (moment of inertia) * ω (angular speed)^2

We can also use the equation for the moment of inertia of a cylinder:

I = 1/2 * m (mass) * r^2 (radius)^2

Plugging in the values, we get:

KE = 1/2 * (23 kg) * (8 m/s)^2 = 736 J

I = 1/2 * (23 kg) * (0.050 m)^2 = 0.029 kgm^2

Solving for ω, we get:

ω^2 = 2 * KE / I

ω^2 = 2 * (736 J) / (0.029 kgm^2)

ω^2 = 50,483.4 rad/s^2

ω = √50,483.4 rad/s^2

ω = 224.63 rad/s

To convert this to rads/s, we divide by 2π:

ω = 224.63 rad/s / 2π = 35.75 rads/s

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions or if you need clarification on any of the concepts or equations used. Good luck with your studies!

1. How do I solve this AP Physics problem?

To solve an AP Physics problem, you should first carefully read the question and identify the given information and what needs to be solved. Then, apply the relevant equations and principles to solve for the unknown variable. It may also be helpful to draw diagrams or create a chart to organize the given information.

2. What if I am stuck on a specific step of the problem?

If you are stuck on a specific step, try breaking down the problem into smaller parts and solving them individually. You can also refer to your class notes or textbook for similar examples and try to apply the same approach. If you are still struggling, don't hesitate to ask for help from a teacher, tutor, or classmate.

3. How can I check if my answer is correct?

To check your answer, you can use a calculator or online tool to plug in the values and see if the result matches your answer. You can also go back through your steps and make sure you didn't make any calculation errors. If you have access to a teacher or tutor, they can also review your work and provide feedback.

4. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in AP Physics?

To improve your problem-solving skills in AP Physics, it is important to practice regularly. Try solving a variety of problems and challenging yourself with different types of questions. You can also review and understand the fundamental concepts and equations to build a strong foundation for problem-solving.

5. What resources are available to help me with AP Physics problems?

There are many resources available to help you with AP Physics problems, such as textbooks, online tutorials, practice tests, and review books. Your teacher or tutor can also provide additional resources and support. Don't be afraid to ask for help and utilize these resources to improve your understanding and skills in AP Physics.