Coulombs Law, 4 separate charges.

In summary, the problem involves four particles with charges q1 = -q2 = 296 nC and q3 = -q4 = 198 nC, spaced 5.5cm apart. The task is to find the net electrostatic force on particle 3, which is required in vector form. Using Coulomb's law, the forces on q3 from q1 and q2 are calculated in the x and y directions, and the forces on q3 from q3 are calculated in the x direction. These forces are then added together, taking into account the repulsion between q1 and q3. After initially making an error, the correct method is to draw arrows representing the forces on q3
Nal101

Homework Statement

the particles have charges q1 = -q2 = 296 nC and q3 = -q4 = 198 nC, and distance between each particle is 5.5cm.
hrw7_21-22.gif

Homework Equations

Find the net electrostatic force on particle 3
::Answer is required in vector form <x,y,z>::

The Attempt at a Solution

Using Coulombs law to find the fnet of each particle.
i.e.
eq1 = [(9e9) * 1.98e-7 * 2.96e-7] / .055^2 = force on particle 3 by q2 in x and y direction AND q1 in y direction
eq2 = [(9e9) * 1.98e-7 * 1.98e-7] / .055^2 = force on particle 3 by q4 in x direction

Then adding the forces together, applying the fact that q 1 and q3 repel each other (negative force)

getting <eq1+eq2, eq2-eq1>

Physics news on Phys.org
The net electrostatic force in q3 is the sum of three forces, one from each of the other particles. First draw these three forces in your diagram. Second, calculate their magnitudes. Third, add them as vectors, all the x-components together (which you must find) and all the y-components together (which you must also find).

That is what I tried to do in my solution, but it came out being wrong. I believe that I am confused on how to find the forces for each x and y component separately.

Draw three arrows with their tails on q3 in the appropriate directions. Break each arrow into x and y components assuming that q3 is at the origin of your axes. When you are ready, show us what you have done so that we can correct it if necessary.

I figured it out.

For anyone wanting to know, to find the x and y components of q2 on q3, you need to take the force and multiply it by cos45 (for x) and sin45(for y) before adding the vectors.

Thank you kuruman

Related to Coulombs Law, 4 separate charges.

1. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law of electrostatics that describes the force between two charged particles. It states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. What are the units of the proportionality constant in Coulomb's Law?

The units of the proportionality constant in Coulomb's Law are Nm2/C2, which can also be written as kgm3/s2/C2 in the SI system.

3. How does the distance between two charges affect the force between them?

The force between two charges is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance increases, the force decreases.

4. Can Coulomb's Law be applied to multiple charges?

Yes, Coulomb's Law can be applied to multiple charges. When dealing with more than two charges, the total force on a particular charge is the vector sum of the individual forces exerted by each charge on that particle.

5. How is Coulomb's Law related to Newton's Law of Gravitation?

Coulomb's Law and Newton's Law of Gravitation are similar in that they both describe the force between two objects. However, Coulomb's Law deals with electric charges, while Newton's Law of Gravitation deals with masses. Additionally, the force in Coulomb's Law is much stronger than the force in Newton's Law of Gravitation, which is why we feel the effects of gravity more than the effects of electric charges in our daily lives.