Coulombs law, initial speed to collide with other nucleus

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of initial speed required for a helium nucleus to collide with a gold nucleus in a head-on collision. The solution involves calculating potential energy using the equation U=k(q1q2)/(r1+r2) and setting it equal to (mv2)/2. The correct answer is found to be 1.17(106) m/s, which is close to the teacher's answer of 1.17(106) m/s. However, a discrepancy arises due to a possible error in using the mass of an alpha particle in kilograms instead of grams.
skate_nerd

Homework Statement

A helium nucleus has radius rHe = 1.9 fm, mass m = 6.6 × 10-27 kg, and charge +2e. A gold nucleus has charge +87e and radius rAu = 7.0 fm. What initial speed must a helium nucleus have if it is to come into contact with a fixed gold nucleus in a head on collision?

Homework Equations

U=k(q1q2)/(r1+r2)
U=(mv2)/2

The Attempt at a Solution

started by solving for potential energy by making U=k(q1q2/(r1+r2)) so i got U=4.51(10-12) J.
Now setting this equal to (mv2)/2, i got
v=√(2U/m)=
and this came out as 3.697(107) m/s.
The teacher's answer is 1.17(106) m/s.
Could somebody help me find where i went wrong? this is due tomorrow i would be very grateful.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your solution looks correct to me. The ratio of your answer to your teacher's answer is close to √1000. The mass of an alpha particle in grams is 6.6 x 10-24 g. I wonder if your teacher used a mass of 6.6 x 10-24 kg rather than 6.6 x 10-27 kg. That would account for the difference.

Last edited:
Hm, that's interesting. I plugged in the 6.6(10-24) and got the answer the teacher provided. Thanks for noticing that. I guess I'll email him now...

I've got the same answer as yours

Your solution looks correct. The only potential error could be in the conversion of units. Make sure you are using the correct unit conversions for the values given in the problem (i.e. fm to m, kg to g, etc.). Also, make sure you are using the correct value of the Coulomb constant, k, which is 8.99 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2.

Another possibility is that your teacher may have rounded the answer to 1.17 x 10^6 m/s, which is equivalent to 1.17 x 10^6 m/s. Double check your calculations and units to make sure they are accurate. If everything checks out, then your answer should be correct.

1. What is Coulomb's Law and how does it relate to collisions between nuclei?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law of electrostatics that describes the force between two charged particles. In the context of collisions between nuclei, it relates to the electrostatic repulsion between positively charged protons, which must be overcome for the nuclei to collide.

2. How is initial speed calculated in collisions between nuclei using Coulomb's Law?

The initial speed required to overcome the electrostatic repulsion between two nuclei can be calculated using the formula v = √(2kqQ/r), where v is the initial speed, k is the Coulomb constant, q and Q are the charges of the two nuclei, and r is the distance between them.

3. Can Coulomb's Law be used to predict the outcome of a collision between two nuclei?

No, Coulomb's Law only describes the force between two charged particles and does not take into account other factors such as the strong nuclear force and the structure of the nuclei. These factors play a significant role in the outcome of a collision between nuclei.

4. What is the significance of the initial speed in collisions between nuclei?

The initial speed needed for two nuclei to collide determines the amount of energy that will be released in the collision. Higher initial speeds result in more energetic collisions and can lead to nuclear fusion, the process by which nuclei combine to form heavier elements.

5. Can Coulomb's Law be applied to collisions between particles other than nuclei?

Yes, Coulomb's Law is a universal law that describes the force between any two charged particles, including electrons, ions, and molecules. It can be used to study collisions between these particles in a variety of contexts, such as in particle accelerators and chemical reactions.