Counter-Example to Showing T' Is Finer than T

• Thread starter micronemesis
  • Start date
In summary, the textbook says that if the identity function is continuous, then the topology on X' is finer than the topology on X.
micronemesis
let X and X' be two single sets in two topologies T and T' respectively.A standard textbook asks to show that if identity function i:X' →X is continuous then T' is finer than T.Is the example below a valid counter example to this argument?

Homework Equations

3. The example goes like this .Consider γ={1,2,3,4,5} and T={∅,γ,{1,2},{1},{3},{1,2,3},{1,3}} and T'={∅,γ,{1},{1,4}}.X={1,2} and X'={1}.so the subspace topology on X due to T i.e Tx={∅,X,{1}} and T'x'={∅,X'}.It is obvious that inverse of each open element in X' is open in X, but T' is not finer than T.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
micronemesis said:
let X and X' be two single sets in two topologies T and T' respectively.A standard textbook asks to show that if identity function i:X' →X is continuous then T' is finer than T.Is the example below a valid counter example to this argument?

Homework Equations

3. The example goes like this .Consider γ={1,2,3,4,5} and T={∅,γ,{1,2},{1},{3},{1,2,3},{1,3}} and T'={∅,γ,{1},{1,4}}.X={1,2} and X'={1}.so the subspace topology on X due to T i.e Tx={∅,X,{1}} and T'x'={∅,X'}.It is obvious that inverse of each open element in X' is open in X, but T' is not finer than T.
Is i:X' →X continuous?

But usually the identity function is defined from a space to itself, or at least ##X' \subset X ##.

WWGD said:
But usually the identity function is defined from a space to itself, or at least ##X' \subset X ##.
that is clear as day light.i think that this example even if it satisfies the premise of the question it does not satisfy its implication.but the question being from a very very well acclaimed book,i wonder whether i got it wrong and if i got it wrong then there has to be some serious issues the way which i am doing this subject.

micronemesis said:
that is clear as day light.i think that this example even if it satisfies the premise of the question it does not satisfy its implication.but the question being from a very very well acclaimed book,i wonder whether i got it wrong and if i got it wrong then there has to be some serious issues the way which i am doing this subject.
May I repeat the question: is i:X' →X continuous?
In post #1 you write "It is obvious that inverse of each open element in X' is open in X". But what you have to look at are the inverses of open elements in X.

Last edited:
Samy_A said:
May I repeat the question: is i:X' →X continuous?
In post #1 you write "It is obvious that inverse of each open element in X' is open in X". But what you have to look at are the inverses of open elements in X.
i am really happy that you replied ;didn't expect anyone to be frank; and from your reply it is obvious that you have understood the question.i actually misplaced that particular phrase.my intention was to put it as "inverse of every open set in X is open in X' ", as you can see i [-1]{1}={1}, i [-1]{1,2}={1}, i [-1]Φ=Φ all are open in X'.i noticed this mistake early but being entirely new to this kind of platform i didn't know how to correct it.appreciate your effort.if possible please follow this question to its conclusion.also i am not able to put the inverse function of i in its proper representaion. please read i [-1] as " i inverse" whenever encountered.

micronemesis said:
i am really happy that you replied and from your reply it is obvious that you have understood the question.i actually misplaced that particular phrase.my intention was to put it as "inverse of every open set in X is open in X' ", as you can see [-1]{1}={1},[-1]{1,2}={1},[-1]Φ=Φ all are open in X'.appreciate your effort.if possible please follow this question to its conclusion.
Ok, you fixed the OP, it was a typo.

But you are dealing here with two different sets, ##X' \subset X##. How do you define "finer" in that case? Obviously ##\{1,2\}## can't be in T', as 2 isn't an element of ##X'##.
Could you post the precise question from the book?

What is generally claimed is that if you have a set Y with two topologies, S and S', then the identity map
##I: Y,S \to Y,S'## is continuous if and only if ##S' \subseteq S##.

I you want to extend this to identity maps between real subsets ##X' \subset X##, then you will have to compare the topology on X' with the topology induced on X' by the topology on X.

Last edited:
the question goes like this exactly as follows." let X and X' denote two single set in topologies T and T', respectively.let i:X' →X be the identity function.
p: i is continuous.
q: T' is finer than T. "
first of all do you agree on following points ?
(1) T and T' are two topologies on same set ; in my case on {1,2,3,4,5} is obvious from the question.so discussing the notion of "fineness" between T and T' is valid.

your suggestion " But you are dealing here with two different sets, X&X' X′⊂X. How do you define "finer" in that case? " seems to suggest that you are considering the notion of " fineness" between Tx and T'x' rather than doing the same between T and T' as the question literally suggests.and for your reference the question can be found in the following link "http://dbfin.com/topology/munkres/chapter-2/section-18-continuous-functions/problem-3-solution/"

micronemesis said:
the question goes like this exactly as follows." let X and X' denote two single set in topologies T and T', respectively.let i:X' →X be the identity function.
p: i is continuous.
q: T' is finer than T. "
first of all do you agree on following points ?
(1) T and T' are two topologies on same set ; in my case on {1,2,3,4,5} is obvious from the question.so discussing the notion of "fineness" between T and T' is valid.

your suggestion " But you are dealing here with two different sets, X&X' X′⊂X. How do you define "finer" in that case? " seems to suggest that you are considering the notion of " fineness" between Tx and T'x' rather than doing the same between T and T' as the question literally suggests.and for your reference the question can be found in the following link "http://dbfin.com/topology/munkres/chapter-2/section-18-continuous-functions/problem-3-solution/"
The question in your link is: "Let X and X' denote a single set in the two topologies ..."
Not two sets as you write.

As sets, X=X', so your counterexample is moot.

Samy_A said:
The question in your link is: "Let X and X' denote a single set in the two topologies ..."
Not two sets as you write.
In my case X={1,2}∈T and X'={1}∈T'.So the sets which i took are open in the topologies that i considered

micronemesis said:
In my case X={1,2}∈T and X'={1}∈T'.So the sets which i took are open in the topologies that i considered
Yes, you have two sets. The books talks about one set (with two topologies).

For reference, this is the full question in your link:
topology.jpg

So no, you don't have a valid counterexample to the correct claim in this exercise.

Samy_A said:
Yes, you have two sets. The books talks about one set (with two topologies).

For reference, this is the full question in your link:
View attachment 95911

So no, you don't have a valid counterexample to the correct claim in the book.
the one set that the book talks about in my case is {1,2,3,4,5} , T and T' being two different topologies on it and {1,2} and {1} are two single sets in T and T' respectively.

micronemesis said:
the one set that the book talks about in my case is {1,2,3,4,5} , T and T' being two different topologies on it and {1,2} and {1} are two single sets in T and T' respectively.
The book asks you to consider i: X' → X. In your case, as sets, X=X'={1,2,3,4,5}
Now, you can check whether the function i is continuous or not with the topologies T' on X' and T on X.
Nowhere does the exercise refer to an "identity function" between two different sets.

Last edited:
Samy_A said:
The book aks you to consider i: X' → X. In your case, as sets, X=X'={1,2,3,4,5}
Now, you can check whether the function i is continuous or not with the topologies T' on X' and T on X.
Nowhere does the exercise refer two an "identity function" between two different sets.
so you mean to say whatever be the context, if one phrases "f:A→B be the identity function " then it naturally means that A=B.

micronemesis said:
so you mean to say whatever be the context, if one phrases "f:A→B be the identity function " then it naturally means that A=B.
f could be an inclusion, when A is a subset of B. I guess one could call that the identity function.
But in this case, in this exercise, it is clearly stated that X and X' denote a single set (with two topologies).

Samy_A said:
f could be an inclusion, when A is a subset of B. I guess one could call that the identity function.
But in this case, in this exercise, it is clearly stated that X and X' denote a single set (with two topologies).
finally got it.i thought what the book meant was that X and X' are just two single set members of T and T'.But now I feel like your explanation is correct as the book is saying to consider a particular set as two different set in the context of two different topologies.i feel satisfied with your explanation.ironically the problem that got me into this mess is my micronemesis i.e english.anyway appreciate your genuineness and benignness

What is a counter-example?

A counter-example is a specific instance or case that disproves a claim or statement. In the context of topology, a counter-example to showing T' is finer than T would be a situation where T' is not actually finer than T.

What does it mean for one topology to be finer than another?

Two topologies are considered to be in a "finer" or "coarser" relationship if one topology has more open sets than the other. In other words, if every open set in topology T' is also open in topology T, then T' is considered to be finer than T.

Why is it important to have a finer topology?

A finer topology allows for more flexibility and subtlety in describing the properties of a space. It allows for more open sets to be defined, which can help in proving certain theorems or solving certain problems. Finer topologies are also useful in applications such as differential geometry and functional analysis.

How can we show that T' is finer than T?

In order to show that T' is finer than T, we need to prove that every open set in T' is also open in T. This can be done by showing that the open sets in T' can be generated by unions and intersections of open sets in T.

What happens if we cannot show that T' is finer than T?

If we cannot show that T' is finer than T, then we have a counter-example to the statement that T' is finer than T. This means that T' is not actually finer than T, and we may need to reconsider our approach or assumptions in order to prove the desired result.