Cranial Sacral Therapy: Does It Work? Experiences Here!

In summary, the conversation revolves around craniosacral therapy and whether or not it is beneficial. The original poster is looking for personal experiences and opinions on the therapy, as well as an explanation of what it is and how it is supposed to work. Some members of the conversation have had positive experiences with craniosacral therapy, while others are skeptical and believe it is simply a form of massage. The main issue seems to be the claims made by practitioners of craniosacral therapy and the lack of scientific evidence to support those claims. Overall, there is a divide in opinions and experiences with this alternative medicine therapy.
Ms Music
Does anyone here get it?

I have a friend that likes to give me free cranial sacral, and it "helps me so much." (her words, not mine :rolleyes:) Does anyone here get it, and have you had any benefit from it? Know anyone that has? I just don't understand it. I'd prefer a massage...

Physics news on Phys.org
I have no idea what it is. Perhaps you can explain what it supposed to be or do; what you seem to get out of it, and what your friend claims you get out of it.

Okay, although I was looking for people that would know what it was from personal experience. Don't worry about debunking it, its easy. :wink: (medical science is skeptical it even works, as am I)

Here is the basic description from Wikipedia, I hope that is sufficient?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craniosacral_therapy"

Craniosacral therapy (also called CST, also spelled CranioSacral bodywork or therapy) is an alternative medicine therapy used by osteopaths, massage therapists, naturopaths, and chiropractors. A craniosacral therapy session involves the therapist placing their hands on the patient, which allows them to tune into what they call the craniosacral rhythm.[1] The practitioner claims to gently work with the spine and the skull and its cranial sutures, diaphragms, and fascia. In this way, the restrictions of nerve passages are said to be eased, the movement of cerebrospinal fluid through the spinal cord is said to be optimized, and misaligned bones are said to be restored to their proper position. Craniosacral therapists use the therapy to treat mental stress, neck and back pain, migraines, TMJ Syndrome, and for chronic pain conditions such as fibromyalgia.[2][3][4] Several studies have reported that there is little scientific support for the underlying theoretical model for which no properly randomized, blinded, and placebo-controlled outcome studies have ever been published.

It is just that my friend has clients that she claims she has helped drastically, and she thinks she can help me with this. In the few times she has done this to me, I felt nothing. Yet some people apparently think it is wonderful. So I was hoping someone here had tried it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a barber who has a customer come to her every week for a scalp-massage, even if she needs no other services. I have not had a lengthy scalp-massage, but Cindy has very strong fingers and I can go into a coma when she is shampooing me. Nothing too odd about that. I'd ask her to give me a foot-massage, too, if that was in her menu of services.

I don't know that much about it, but it sounds similar to a massage. And I know that any kind of physical contact, such as massages, getting my back or head rubbed, back scratch, or whatever, instantly makes me feel much better. Helps me relax and such. Thats probably the source of any "benefits" of this in my opinion. Simple relaxation.

Drakkith said:
I don't know that much about it, but it sounds similar to a massage.

I believe the difference is that cranial-sacral practitioners believe (and proclaim) that what they do is more than a massage. Therefore, the problem is not the act, but the sales pitch.

1. What is Cranial Sacral Therapy?

Cranial Sacral Therapy is a type of alternative medicine that involves light touch manipulation of the skull, spine, and pelvis to promote the flow of cerebrospinal fluid and release tension in the body.

2. How does it work?

The theory behind Cranial Sacral Therapy is that the gentle manipulation of the skull and spine can correct imbalances in the flow of cerebrospinal fluid, which can improve overall health and well-being.

3. What conditions can be treated with Cranial Sacral Therapy?

Cranial Sacral Therapy is often used to treat headaches, neck and back pain, stress-related disorders, and other health issues such as chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia. However, there is limited scientific evidence to support its effectiveness for these conditions.

4. What can I expect during a Cranial Sacral Therapy session?

During a session, the therapist will use light touch techniques to manipulate the skull, spine, and pelvis while you lie fully clothed on a massage table. The treatment is generally painless and may last from 30 minutes to an hour.

5. Is there any scientific evidence that Cranial Sacral Therapy works?

While some people may report feeling better after receiving Cranial Sacral Therapy, there is currently no scientific evidence to support its effectiveness. More research is needed to determine its true benefits and limitations as a treatment option.