Creating a homomorphism with given generators

• Thread starter Ultraworld
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Generators
In summary, the conversation discusses constructing a homomorphism from the dihedral group D to the symmetric group Sym(5). The question is whether the generators of D can be mapped to any element in Sym(5) as long as certain conditions are met. The expert explains that a homomorphism must preserve group structure and suggests checking if the maps satisfy the definition. The use of a computer program to verify the homomorphism is also mentioned.
Ultraworld
I got the Dihedral Group D = <(1 2 3 4 5 6 ), (1 2)(3 4)(5 6)> and the symmetric group Sym(5).

Now I want to construct a homomorphism f : D --> Sym(5). Am I free to map the generators (1 2 3 4 5 6) and (1 2)(3 4)(5 6) to any element in Sym(5) as long holds:
f((1 2 3 4 5 6))6 = 1,
f((1 2)(3 4)(5 6))2 = 1.

I tried
f((1 2 3 4 5 6)) = (1 2 3)(4 5),
f((1 2)(3 4)(5 6)) = (1 2).

Which seems to be fine but
f((1 2 3 4 5 6)) = (1 2 3)(4 5),
f((1 2)(3 4)(5 6)) = (1 4).

seems to fail?

Why?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't just send them to *any* elements of the right order. Homomrphisms must preserve group structure. Like composition of elements.

True but how do i know my first attempt is indeed a homomorphism and the 2nd one not. Now I "prooved" it by a computer program (MAGMA).

You check if it is a homomorphism. You know what the definition of a homomorphism is, so check if the maps satisfy the definition.

And remember that the dihedral group is defined by the relations, in this case, g^6=e, h^2=e and hgh=g^{-1}.

Related to Creating a homomorphism with given generators

1. What is a homomorphism?

A homomorphism is a mathematical function that preserves the algebraic structure between two algebraic structures. In simpler terms, it is a function that maps elements from one algebraic structure to another while maintaining the operations between those elements.

2. How do you create a homomorphism with given generators?

To create a homomorphism with given generators, you simply need to define a function that maps each generator from one algebraic structure to its corresponding generator in the other algebraic structure. This function should also preserve the operations between the generators.

3. Why is creating a homomorphism with given generators important?

Creating a homomorphism with given generators is important because it allows us to study the relationship and properties between two algebraic structures. It also helps us to understand the structure of one algebraic structure by mapping it to a more familiar or simpler one.

4. Can a homomorphism be created between any two algebraic structures?

No, a homomorphism can only be created between algebraic structures that have compatible operations. For example, a homomorphism can be created between two groups, but not between a group and a vector space.

5. How can I check if my created homomorphism is correct?

To check if a homomorphism is correct, you can perform a simple test by applying the homomorphism to the generators and checking if the resulting elements in the other algebraic structure follow the same operations as the original elements. Additionally, you can also check if the homomorphism preserves the identity element and inverses.