CS minor with Civil Engineering Major?

In summary, the individual is currently pursuing a bachelor's degree in civil engineering and is considering adding a minor in computer science. They are unsure of the usefulness of the minor and are leaning towards environmental engineering for their graduate studies. They are concerned about the additional time it may take to graduate and whether the courses for the minor will be helpful in their future academic pursuits or job opportunities. They are seeking advice and guidance on this matter.
Mddrill
I am currently getting a bachelors in civil engineering. How useful would it be for me to do a minor in computer science? If it matters, I am a junior and am hoping to go to graduate school. I don't know for sure which area of CE I want to go Into but I'm leaning towards environmental engineering.

I started college a few years late (started at 21) and I would rather not take any longer to graduate that I need too, unless a CS minor will be very helpful.

Computer science does interest me though.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org
Is a jack-hammer useful? Well if we're talking about in-utero heart surgery, no; if we're talking about tearing up a sidewalk, yes. Use depends on goal. Why not repost this and articulate a goal, along with sufficient facts for us to offer an opinion. How many more courses would you need in order to acquire the minor, for instance. and What is your alternative? Anyway, without that, you shouldn't expect much here. My best guess is that any computer science you need in order to get your MS/PhD will be fairly easy to acquire while in grad school - if that helps. (With the implication that much of the work-load you take on to qualify for the minor won't be particularily useful as a grad student) (of course, as far as job opportunities, that may be a different story...but that is so dependent on your history, once you begin looking for full-time work...)

1. What is a CS minor with Civil Engineering Major?

A CS minor with Civil Engineering Major is a combination of a minor degree in computer science and a major degree in civil engineering. This means that students will take courses in both computer science and civil engineering in order to gain knowledge and skills in both fields.

2. Why should I consider a CS minor with Civil Engineering Major?

A CS minor with Civil Engineering Major can provide you with a well-rounded education and skill set. This combination can open up more job opportunities for you as you will have a strong background in two different fields. Additionally, the knowledge and skills gained in computer science can be applied to civil engineering projects and make you a more competitive candidate in the job market.

3. What are the requirements for a CS minor with Civil Engineering Major?

The requirements for a CS minor with Civil Engineering Major vary depending on the university or college. Generally, students are required to take a certain number of courses in both computer science and civil engineering, as well as maintain a minimum grade point average.

4. Can I complete a CS minor with Civil Engineering Major in the same amount of time as a regular major?

It is possible to complete a CS minor with Civil Engineering Major in the same amount of time as a regular major, but it may require careful planning and taking a heavier course load. It is important to speak with an academic advisor to create a plan that works for you.

5. What career options are available with a CS minor with Civil Engineering Major?

A CS minor with Civil Engineering Major can lead to various career paths, including software engineering, data analysis, and civil engineering. This combination of skills can also open up opportunities in fields such as transportation, construction, and urban planning.