Curious, does TPU/EVA contain BPA?

• Thread starter PhotonW/mass
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curious
In summary, the conversation revolved around a hydration bladder that was recently purchased and the concern for whether or not it is BPA free. The product packaging did not mention anything about being BPA free, which is a common feature in many products nowadays. It was mentioned that the bladder is made out of TPU and EVA, but the person speaking was unsure about the safety of these materials. Upon further inspection, there was no indication on the bladder itself about its materials or BPA status. The company responsible for the product is Guangzhou KMS.
PhotonW/mass
I was just given a hydration bladder:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JY9WFO2/?tag=pfamazon01-20

But NOWHERE on the package does it say it is BPA free. Almost every product now says it is BPA (Including glass jars which I find to be redundant.) free. Another website says it is made out of TPU and EVA. I don't know much about this stuff. I thought that perhaps you guys might know something.

Thank you!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The company is Guangzhou KMS.

What about a stamp on the bladder itself?

DaveC426913 said:
What about a stamp on the bladder itself?

All there is on the bladder itself are; a measurement line on the side to tell me how much water is in the bladder, and various pictures under the forward slash symbol to tell me what I can't put in it. Do you know anything about TPU and/or EVA?

PhotonW/mass said:
Do you know anything about TPU and/or EVA?
No. I was looking around, but nothing definitive. Some have it, some don't.

What is TPU/EVA?

TPU (thermoplastic polyurethane) and EVA (ethylene-vinyl acetate) are both types of thermoplastic polymers commonly used in the production of various consumer products. TPU is known for its elasticity and durability, while EVA is known for its flexibility and low-temperature resistance.

Does TPU/EVA contain BPA?

No, TPU and EVA do not contain BPA (bisphenol A). BPA is a chemical used in the production of certain plastics, but it is not found in TPU or EVA. These materials are considered safe for use in consumer products.

Are there any health risks associated with TPU/EVA?

There is currently no evidence to suggest that TPU or EVA pose any health risks. Both materials have been extensively tested and are considered safe for use in consumer products.

Can TPU/EVA leach chemicals into food or drinks?

No, TPU and EVA are not known to leach chemicals into food or drinks. These materials are commonly used in food and beverage packaging and have been deemed safe for such applications.

Is TPU/EVA biodegradable?

No, TPU and EVA are not biodegradable. They are both synthetic materials that are not easily broken down by natural processes. However, some manufacturers are developing biodegradable versions of TPU and EVA.