Current leakage between the charged plates of a capacitor

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationships between charge, voltage, and current in an electrical circuit. The first equation shows that charge is directly proportional to voltage and inversely proportional to the material's dielectric constant, permittivity, cross-sectional area, and length. The second equation relates current to voltage, cross-sectional area, length, and resistivity. The third equation shows a mistake in the second equation, as the charge is actually decreasing by ΔQ, not increasing. The correct equation would be ΔQ = -Q/(kappa*epsilon*rho) * Δt. The conversation concludes with a calculation using the limit as Δt approaches 0, which results in the correct equation Δt = kappa*epsilon*rho.
archaic
Homework Statement
A charged plate capacitor is filled with a dielectric of dielectric constant ##\kappa=2.50## and resistivity ##\rho=1.90\times10^{15}\,\Omega m##. It is first charged to ##Q=8.00\,\mu C##.
1) What is the magnitude of the leakage current in amps?
2) What is time interval (in hours) over which the charge on the capacitor will fall to ##1/e## of its initial value?
Relevant Equations
$$I=\frac{A\Delta V}{\ell\rho}$$$$C=\frac{\kappa\epsilon_0A}{\ell}$$
1)$$\frac{Q}{\Delta V}=\frac{\kappa\epsilon_0A}{\ell}\Leftrightarrow\Delta V=\frac{Q\ell}{\kappa\epsilon_0A}$$$$I=\frac{A\Delta V}{\ell\rho}=\frac{Q}{\kappa\epsilon_0\rho}$$
2) The charge is decreasing by ##\Delta Q##, so ##Q(t)=Q-\Delta Q##.$$I=\frac{\Delta Q}{\Delta t}\Leftrightarrow\Delta Q=\frac{Q}{\kappa\epsilon_0\rho}\Delta t$$$$Q-\Delta Q=\frac{Q}{e}\Leftrightarrow\frac{Q}{\kappa\epsilon_0\rho}\Delta t=\frac{e-1}{e}Q\Leftrightarrow\Delta t=\left(\frac{e-1}{e}\right)\kappa\epsilon_0\rho$$
I divide by ##3600## to get the result in hours.

I am getting that 2) is wrong, though. I entered the values correctly. Here's the calculation as I have done it on desmos
Capture.PNG

Is ##I=\Delta Q/\Delta t## a wrong assumption in this case?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you could try take the limit in $$\Delta Q = \frac{Q}{\kappa \rho \varepsilon }\Delta t$$, not only, i think we need a negative sign here, otherwise
$$\Delta Q$$
would end being positive.

LCSphysicist said:
I think you could try take the limit in $$\Delta Q = \frac{Q}{\kappa \rho \varepsilon }\Delta t$$
Hm$$\frac{dQ}{dt}=-\frac{Q}{\kappa\epsilon_0\rho}\Leftrightarrow-\kappa\epsilon_0\rho\frac{dQ}{Q}=dt\Leftrightarrow-\kappa\epsilon_0\rho\ln\left(\frac{Q'}{Q_0}\right)=\Delta t$$with ##Q'=Q_0/e##, I get ##\Delta t=\kappa\epsilon_0\rho##.
LCSphysicist said:
i think we need a negative sign here
yep, I added that in ##Q-\Delta Q##, but not in the first formula since the question asked for the magnitude.
This is it! Thank you. :)

1. What is current leakage in a capacitor?

Current leakage in a capacitor refers to the flow of electric current between the charged plates of a capacitor, even when the capacitor is supposed to be holding a charge. It is caused by imperfections in the capacitor's insulation, which allows some of the charge to escape.

2. Why does current leakage occur in capacitors?

Current leakage occurs in capacitors due to imperfections in the insulation material between the two plates. These imperfections can be microscopic defects or contaminants that allow some of the charge to escape, reducing the capacitor's ability to hold a charge.

3. How does current leakage affect the performance of a capacitor?

Current leakage can significantly reduce the performance of a capacitor. It causes the capacitor to discharge faster, resulting in a shorter lifespan and lower efficiency. It can also cause problems in circuits where precise and stable capacitance is required.

4. Can current leakage be prevented?

While it is not possible to completely prevent current leakage in capacitors, it can be minimized by using high-quality capacitors with better insulation materials. It is also essential to store capacitors in a cool and dry environment to avoid any moisture or contaminants that can contribute to current leakage.

5. How can current leakage be measured in a capacitor?

Current leakage in a capacitor can be measured using a multimeter. The multimeter should be set to measure resistance, and the capacitor should be disconnected from the circuit and fully charged. The resistance reading will indicate the amount of current leakage in the capacitor.