Cylinder wrapped with wire on hill with magnetic field

In summary, the figure shows a cylinder with a mass of 3.5kg, a radius of 4.4cm, and a length of 10.2cm. It has 105 turns of wire wrapped around it lengthwise, with the plane of the wire loop containing the axis of the cylinder. The problem is to find the minimum current needed to prevent the cylinder from rolling down an inclined plane with an inclination of 21°, in the presence of a vertical magnetic field of B=0.7T. The plane of the windings is parallel to the inclined plane. The equations used to solve this problem are the magnetic torque equation, the gravitational torque equation, and the equation for balancing the clockwise and counterclock
kissmyasthma

Homework Statement

The figure shows a cylinder of mass 3.5kg, radius 4.4cm and length 10.2cm with 105turns of wire wrapped around it lengthwise, so that the plane of the wire loop contains the axis of the cylinder. What is the least current which while flowing through the loop will prevent the cylinder from rolling down an inclined plane of inclination 21°, in the presence of a vertical magnetic field of B=0.7T? The plane of the windings is parallel to the inclined plane.

dfyCbLX.png

m = 3.5 kg
r = 4.4cm = 0.044m
l = 10.2cm = 0.102m
theta = 21degrees
B = 0.7T
n = 105 turns
I = ?

Homework Equations

Magnetic torque = (n/l)IABsin(theta)
Gravitational torque = r x F = mgrsin(theta)
Torque_CW - Torque_CCW = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay so I know that the sum of the torques must be zero, and that there will be a torque from gravity and one from the magnetic field, but I'm confused as to how to actually set up the equations. For gravity I tried doing a free body diagram but I didn't know where to consider gravity to be acting on. And for the magnetic torque I have the equation, but from looking at the picture I would assume that the CW and CCW torques due to magnetism would be equal and impossible to balance with gravity. I think my main problem with this question is coordinates.

Physics news on Phys.org
kissmyasthma said:
Okay so I know that the sum of the torques must be zero, and that there will be a torque from gravity and one from the magnetic field, but I'm confused as to how to actually set up the equations. For gravity I tried doing a free body diagram but I didn't know where to consider gravity to be acting on.

suppose there is no field or current flowing -draw a free body diagram of a cylinder which is set to roll down the incline . normally we take the moment of the force from the point of contact of the cylinder with the plane.
then put on the magnetic fiield and pass a current through the winding which are rectangular in shape with length equal to cylinder length and breadth equal to diameter of the cylinder - calculate the force on four arms and calculate the torque from the same point of contact ...

drvrm said:
normally we take the moment of the force from the point of contact of the cylinder with the plane.

Okay so we can use the parallel axis thm to get the moment of inertia at the point of contact with the plane:

I = 1/2MR2 + MR2 = 3/2MR2

but then how do you use that to calculate torque?, I know that torque = I*alpha but we can't find alpha because there is no acceleration.

kissmyasthma said:
but then how do you use that to calculate torque?, I know that torque = I*alpha but we can't find alpha because there is no acceleration.
your body should be at the limit of turning by the torque of the forces i.e. moment of the force should balance rather than accelerated rotation to take place. one does not need alpha.

What is a cylinder wrapped with wire on a hill with a magnetic field?

A cylinder wrapped with wire on a hill with a magnetic field is an experimental setup used to study the effects of a magnetic field on a moving conductor. The cylinder is placed on a hill and connected to a circuit with wire wrapped around it. When a magnetic field is applied, it induces a current in the wire, causing the cylinder to move.

How does a magnetic field affect a cylinder wrapped with wire on a hill?

A magnetic field interacts with the moving electrons in the wire, causing them to experience a force. This force results in the cylinder moving on the hill. The direction and strength of the magnetic field determine the direction and speed of the cylinder's movement.

What are some applications of a cylinder wrapped with wire on a hill with a magnetic field?

This experimental setup is commonly used to demonstrate the principles of electromagnetic induction and to study the behavior of moving conductors in a magnetic field. It also has practical applications in generators and motors, where the movement of a conductor in a magnetic field produces electricity or mechanical work.

What factors affect the movement of a cylinder wrapped with wire on a hill with a magnetic field?

The strength and direction of the magnetic field, the amount of current flowing through the wire, and the angle and slope of the hill all influence the movement of the cylinder. Additionally, the material and dimensions of the cylinder and wire can also impact its behavior.

How can a cylinder wrapped with wire on a hill with a magnetic field be used to generate electricity?

If the cylinder is connected to a closed circuit, the movement induced by the magnetic field will cause a current to flow. This current can then be used to power electronic devices and generate electricity. This principle is used in generators, where a rotating coil of wire in a magnetic field produces electricity.