Damped Oscillator and Oscillatory Driving Force

In summary, the steady state solution for the given equation is F_0(mw_0^2 - w^2m)Coswt/(mwy)^2 + (mw_0^2 -w^2m)^2 + F_0mwySinwt/(mwy)^2 + (mw_0^2 -w^2m)^2. However, to find the amplitude and phase, this form needs to be transformed into the form x = Cos(wt - phi).
physconomics
Homework Statement
The equation is FCoswt = mx'' + myx' +mw_0^2x
- Find the steady state solution for the displacement x and the velocity x'
- Sketch the amplitude and phase of x and x' as a function of w
- Determine the resonant frequency for both the displacement and the velocity
- Defining deltaw as the full width at half maximum of the resonance peak, calculate deltaw/w_0 to leading order in y/w_0
- For a lightly damped driven oscillator near resonance, calculate the energy stored and the power supplied to the system. Confirm that Q = w_0/y.
Relevant Equations
Steady state solution is the particular solution
I found the steady state solution as
F_0(mw_0^2 - w^2m)Coswt/(mwy)^2 + (mw_0^2 -w^2m)^2
+ F_0mwySinwt/(mwy)^2 + (mw_0^2 -w^2m)^2
But I'm not sure how to sketch the amplitude and phase? Do I need any extra equations?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, what is the expression for amplitude ?
And what is the expression for the phase ?

Oh, and
please use ##\LaTeX## so one can read your solution

$$
F_0(m\omega_0^2 - \omega^2m)\cos\omega t/(m\omega \gamma)^2 + (m\omega_0^2 -\omega^2m)^2
+ F_0m\omega \gamma\sin\omega t/(m\omega \gamma)^2 + (m\omega_0^2 -\omega^2m)^2 $$

which, if I reproduced it right, as it looks now, does not look familiar at all... did you check it satisfies the equation $$ m\ddot x + m\gamma \dot x +m\omega_0^2\;x = F\cos\omega t \ \ ?$$

There seem to be missing parentheses. I think the OP meant
$$\frac{F_0 m(\omega_0^2-\omega^2)}{(m\omega\gamma)^2 + m^2(\omega_0^2-\omega^2)^2}\cos\omega t + \frac{F_0 m\omega\gamma}{(m\omega\gamma)^2 + m^2(\omega_0^2-\omega^2)^2}\sin\omega t$$

I know, but that only became painfully clear once I typeset the litteral text in post #1.

After @physconomics posts the relevant equations for amplitude and phase we can proceed with this thread

$$
BvU said:
I know, but that only became painfully clear once I typeset the litteral text in post #1.

After @physconomics posts the relevant equations for amplitude and phase we can proceed with this thread
Yes, Vela was right. Sorry I'm new here and had no idea I could use LaTeX.
To get the amplitude and phase would I have to move it into the form ##x = Cos(\omega t - \phi)##?

1. What is a damped oscillator?

A damped oscillator is a system that experiences oscillatory motion due to a restoring force, but also experiences a damping force that causes the amplitude of the oscillations to decrease over time. This can occur in various systems such as a mass-spring system or an electric circuit.

2. How does damping affect the behavior of an oscillator?

Damping affects an oscillator by reducing the amplitude of the oscillations and causing the system to eventually come to rest. It also changes the frequency of the oscillations, resulting in a longer period of oscillation.

3. What is an oscillatory driving force?

An oscillatory driving force is a periodic external force that is applied to a damped oscillator. It can have the same frequency as the natural frequency of the oscillator or a different frequency. This force can cause the damped oscillator to exhibit complex behavior, such as resonance.

4. How does an oscillatory driving force affect a damped oscillator?

An oscillatory driving force can cause a damped oscillator to exhibit resonance, which is a phenomenon where the amplitude of the oscillations becomes very large at the same frequency as the driving force. It can also affect the frequency and amplitude of the oscillator's motion.

5. What is the difference between an underdamped and overdamped oscillator?

An underdamped oscillator is one where the damping force is not strong enough to prevent oscillations from occurring. The amplitude of the oscillations will decrease over time, but the system will continue to oscillate. An overdamped oscillator is one where the damping force is strong enough to prevent oscillations from occurring. The system will eventually come to rest without oscillating.