Dark Matter as Senior Project?

In summary, a high school senior is required to write an 8-10 page paper arguing a point and is considering doing it on dark matter. They are concerned about finding enough information on the topic but a google search shows there is plenty of information available. They are advised to have a basic understanding of the subject before attempting to write the paper.
tasveerk
Hello,
I'm not sure if this is the right place to be posting this question, but since it is related to school I hope it will do. I am currently a senior in high school and I am required to write an 8-10 page paper on a topic of my choosing. The main requirement is that I must argue a point throughout the essay. I am considering doing it on dark matter, but I am worried about whether or not I will be able to collect enough information to form a well written paper. I was thinking about basing my argument around the existence of dark matter or something similar to this. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
A google search turned up near 45 million hits on this topic. Many may be duplicates or inaccurate, but who's counting? While it is still a mystery as to what dark matter is, there is plenty written on the subject. You might also want to visit our Cosmology/Astrophysics sub-forum, where there is much information given by experts in this field. However, be sure you have some basic understanding of the Cosmos and dark matter before you attempt to write a paper on it...the subject is deep.

Related to Dark Matter as Senior Project?

1. What is Dark Matter?

Dark matter is a type of matter that does not emit or absorb light, making it invisible to our current methods of detection. It is believed to make up about 85% of the total matter in the universe.

2. How is Dark Matter studied?

Dark matter is studied through its effects on visible matter and light. Scientists use a variety of techniques, such as gravitational lensing and observations of galaxy rotation, to indirectly study the presence and distribution of dark matter.

3. Why is Dark Matter important?

Dark matter plays a crucial role in the formation and evolution of the universe. Its gravitational pull helps to shape the structure of galaxies and galaxy clusters. Understanding dark matter is also essential for developing a more complete model of the universe.

4. What is the difference between Dark Matter and Dark Energy?

Dark matter and dark energy are two different components of the universe that are both invisible and have a significant impact on its behavior. While dark matter is responsible for the gravitational pull that holds galaxies together, dark energy is thought to be the force driving the expansion of the universe.

5. What are some current theories about the nature of Dark Matter?

There are several theories about what dark matter may be made of, including weakly interacting massive particles (WIMPs), axions, and primordial black holes. However, the exact nature of dark matter is still a mystery, and ongoing research and experiments are being conducted to better understand this elusive substance.