DC motors -- speed control question

In summary, a 12v electronic control module with a 1k pot can power a 3/4 hp DC motor up to 50 amps from 0 to full speed, and this may be able to be adapted to higher voltage motors.
bassam77
hi there,

I have 3 dc motors (12v-5 ampere)that are connected each with a speed reducer gearbox, actually I want to control these motors with a JOY-STICK switch just controlling there movements in fixed speed, should I use a pwm circuit to drive them or a simple 3-axes joy-stick is enough?
if yes, where can I find a joy-stick that meets my motors requirements?

thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
bassam77 said:
hi there,

I have 3 dc motors (12v-5 ampere)that are connected each with a speed reducer gearbox, actually I want to control these motors with a JOY-STICK switch just controlling there movements in fixed speed, should I use a pwm circuit to drive them or a simple 3-axes joy-stick is enough?

thanks in advance

Welcome to the PF.

For speed control on the DC motors, you need to use PWM circuits. How are you planning on controlling 3 motors with a 2-axis joystick?

bassam77 said:
in fixed speed, should I use a pwm circuit to drive them or a simple 3-axes joy-stick is enough?

thanks in advance

Seeing as you want fixed speed you may not need PWM - simple on-off switch control will give you fixed speed, you can control that speed with by altering the supply voltage. It will probably cost a lot less than 3 x PWM.

The problem is that you may not be able to find a 3 axis Joystick with simple switches, they all seem to have pots like so:

http://www.superdroidrobots.com/shop/item.aspx/analog-3-axis-joystick/1263/

Which could control 3 PWM's or relays but not motors directlyThe arcade style 2 axis joysticks have 4 micro switches (8 positions in total) which could control four 10A loads directly.

http://www.arcadomaniashop.com/Arcade-Joystick-Japan/enUltimately it depends on how you want the motors to function relative to the joysticks positions...

what if I found a low power joy stick and connected it to the motors through relays?
what do you think in this case? isn't better?
if this scenario is accepted, does it affect the motor with any side effect?
can I use a resettable fuse as an example to protect my motors?

bassam77 said:
what if I found a low power joy stick and connected it to the motors through relays?
what do you think in this case? isn't better?
Define 'better'.
Using relays complicates things, whether this is necessary or even beneficial cannot be known with the information you've given.

if this scenario is accepted, does it affect the motor with any side effect?
can I use a resettable fuse as an example to protect my motors?

Relays are just regular switches as far your motors are concerned so will have the same effect as any other switch would.
Protect your motors from what exactly?

billy_joule said:
Define 'better'.
Using relays complicates things, whether this is necessary or even beneficial cannot be known with the information you've given.
Relays are just regular switches as far your motors are concerned so will have the same effect as any other switch would.
Protect your motors from what exactly?

protecting the motor from any high current may consume and hence damaging the gear as an example if the load differs or the motor jammed

Woodmizer sawmills use a 12v electronic control module with a 1k pot hooked to it. The output of the ECM feeds the gates of 4 IRFZ44N Mosfet transistors connected in parallel to power a 3/4 hp 12 volt DC motor from 0 to full speed with current up to 50 amps. The variable speed motor powers the carriage that saws the logs. You may be able to adapt this to higher voltage dc motors up to 48 volts. The Mosfets will go up to 55 volts. Power the ECM with 12 volts.

1. How does speed control work in a DC motor?

Speed control in a DC motor is achieved by varying the voltage or current supplied to the motor. By increasing or decreasing the voltage or current, the speed of the motor can be adjusted. This is typically done using a variable resistor or a pulse width modulation (PWM) controller.

2. What are the different methods of speed control for DC motors?

There are several methods of speed control for DC motors, including voltage control, current control, armature resistance control, and field flux control. Each method has its own advantages and is suitable for different applications.

3. What factors affect the speed of a DC motor?

The speed of a DC motor is affected by several factors, including the voltage and current supplied to the motor, the load on the motor, the type and design of the motor, and the environmental conditions such as temperature and humidity.

4. Can I control the speed of a DC motor in both directions?

Yes, DC motors can be controlled in both forward and reverse directions by changing the polarity of the voltage supplied to the motor. This can be done using a simple switch or through a more complex control system.

5. What are the applications of DC motor speed control?

DC motor speed control is used in a wide range of applications, such as robotics, industrial machinery, electric vehicles, and home appliances. It allows for precise control of motor speed, which is essential for efficient and accurate operation in these various applications.