Deactivate or remove my account?

• Thread starter rose22
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a user wanting to delete their account on the website Physics Forums. They are informed that their account can be banned, but their posts will remain. The user explains that they want to delete their account because they will not be using it due to spending time in the hospital. The conversation also includes a discussion about the purpose of the forum and the option of being unbanned in the future. Lastly, there is a mention of a prank involving the use of the respondent's avatar.
rose22
I have been looking on the site for instructions on how to delete my account, but can't seem to find anything. Could someone point me in the right direction? & please no rude &/or silly answers.

Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
oh no.. damn, i kind of wish i hadn't signed up now. do you know of a more detailed explanation as to why accounts aren't deleted?

rose22 said:
oh no.. damn, i kind of wish i hadn't signed up now. do you know of a more detailed explanation as to why accounts aren't deleted?
We can ban you're account, which essentially closes it, but your posts will stay.

rose22 said:

If I may ask, why do you want your posts and account to be deleted? Having an account on PF is (as far as I'm aware) not particularly embarassing, but if there are some specific things you wouldn't want out in the open you posted, you can probably discuss this with a mentor or admin. (Though it's obviously always smarter to just not put stuff on the internet you are going to regret later, but this may be somewhat unavoidable nowadays.)

Questions and answers in a public forum like this one are supposed to benefit not only the original questioner, but also other people who use the site. This is not a private tutoring service.

ahh okay, then yes i would like to be banned.

i never asked for my posts to be deleted. and i am not asking for my account to be deleted because of embarrassment or because, as you put it, for a "private tutoring service". i am planning on going "offline" as much as possible, i have to spend a lot of time in hospital over the next few monhs, so will not be going online. i don't see the point in contuining with something i am not going to use, so i am trying to delete my accounts that i have across the net.

rose22 said:
ahh okay, then yes i would like to be banned.

i never asked for my posts to be deleted. and i am not asking for my account to be deleted because of embarrassment or because, as you put it, for a "private tutoring service". i am planning on going "offline" as much as possible, i have to spend a lot of time in hospital over the next few monhs, so will not be going online. i don't see the point in contuining with something i am not going to use, so i am trying to delete my accounts that i have across the net.
I am very sorry to hear, i hope you are going to be ok.

Since this is a voluntary ban, you may request to be un-banned at any time.

Good luck to you.

Are you ready?

sorry for the delay! yes i am, thank you very much for your understanding in this matter :)

_
rose22, PF is the tar-baby. makes joining pretty hard to be reversible.
Evo said:
Are you ready?

Evo, does this make you feel a little like Jack Kevorkian or someone in Switzerland who serves in Dignitas?

(glad they used your avatar for April 1.)L8r,

r b-j

rbj said:
_
Evo, does this make you feel a little like Jack Kevorkian or someone in Switzerland who serves in Dignitas?
Yes, it's sad to ban someone that's good, but at least I also have to power to bring them back to life.

(glad they used your avatar for April 1.)
That was a complete surprise to me when I came to PF and saw me everywhere!

1. How do I deactivate or remove my account?

To deactivate or remove your account, you will need to go to the settings or account management section of the specific platform or website. From there, you should be able to find an option to either deactivate or permanently delete your account.

2. What happens to my data when I deactivate or remove my account?

It depends on the platform or website's policies. Some may completely delete all of your data, while others may keep it for a certain period of time before permanently deleting it. It's important to check their terms and conditions or privacy policy for more information.

3. Can I reactivate my account after deactivating it?

This also depends on the platform or website's policies. Some may allow you to reactivate your account by simply logging back in, while others may require you to go through a reactivation process. It's best to check with the platform or website for more information.

4. Will my account be visible to others if I deactivate it?

Again, this depends on the platform or website's policies. Some may make your account temporarily invisible to others, while others may still display your account but with limited functionality. It's important to check with the platform or website for more information.

5. Can I retrieve my data after I permanently delete my account?

No, once you have permanently deleted your account, it is unlikely that you will be able to retrieve your data. It's important to make sure you have all the necessary information or data saved before deleting your account.