Dealing with Frustrating Computer Issues: A Scientist's Nightmare

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computers
In summary, the conversation revolves around issues with downloading, installing, and using programs on a computer. It is suggested that the problem is not with the computer itself, but with the operating system, particularly Windows. Different software options are recommended to improve the experience, and it is mentioned that there are many different operating systems to choose from. One person expresses their fear of having to deal with computer issues while in school.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
When ever i want to do some thing i have to down load some thing, only to find that some thing will not install, so i have to down load some thing to fix it, only to find that i should have down loaded some thing else first, only when i did that it said (this program is all ready installed on your computer) okay, but this program is not responding, so delete it and down load again, now i forgot what i wanted.

Computer science news on Phys.org
wolram said:
When ever i want to do some thing i have to down load some thing, only to find that some thing will not install, so i have to down load some thing to fix it, only to find that i should have down loaded some thing else first, only when i did that it said (this program is all ready installed on your computer) okay, but this program is not responding, so delete it and down load again, now i forgot what i wanted.

Take my wife, for example... Sorry, you said computer...

{Just kidding dear o:)}

It is not so much of an issue with computes as it is with operating systems. If I had to guess you are using windows.

waht said:
It is not so much of an issue with computes as it is with operating systems. If I had to guess you are using windows.

I think windows is using me, i have gone round in so many circles i can see my own backside.

Ivan Seeking said:
Take my wife, for example... Sorry, you said computer...

{Just kidding dear o:)}

I think you just killed your operating system Ivan :smile:

there are few computer problems for which a hammer will not find relief

Definitely a OS problem and not a computer problem. There are many many different OS's to choose from. Maybe you just haven't found the right one for you yet.

Even if you are using Windows, you can generally improve the experience by your choice of software. I run Vista on hardware that can handle it and it is totally pleasant with:

Opera instead of Internet Explorer
Foxit Reader instead of Adobe Reader
VLC instead of windows media / real player / quicktime
No itunes! Apple software blows on windows platforms!

The only thing Windows can't be is secure, but other than that it can function quite well.

I'm running Vista. For the most part it works just fine.
I did once have a problem finding drivers for a particular bit of hardware. Why they would put an OS on a computer with hardware that does not have compatible drivers I'll never know.

I'm running Leopard on a dual-core Intel Mac. No problems, other than software compatibility which is improving every day.

Topher925 said:
Definitely a OS problem and not a computer problem. There are many many different OS's to choose from. Maybe you just haven't found the right one for you yet.

"My car is making these noises!"

"Maybe you should try a unicycle, or a blimp..."

This is actually one of my worst fears about going back to school. I'll be using my computer extensively, and I would hate having to go through a session of backing up data files and formatting.

Related to Dealing with Frustrating Computer Issues: A Scientist's Nightmare

1. Why is my computer running so slow?

There can be several reasons for a slow computer, such as a lack of memory or processing power, too many programs running at once, or a virus/malware infection. It is recommended to check your computer's specifications and close any unnecessary programs to improve its speed. Running a virus scan can also help identify any potential issues.

2. Why does my computer keep freezing?

Freezing or crashing can occur due to a variety of reasons, such as outdated software, hardware conflicts, or corrupt system files. It is recommended to make sure your operating system and drivers are up to date, run a disk check to identify any potential errors, and check for any hardware conflicts in the device manager.

3. How do I get rid of pop-up ads?

Pop-up ads can be annoying and can also pose a security risk. They are usually caused by adware or malware programs. It is recommended to run a thorough virus scan and use adware/malware removal tools to eliminate any potential threats. You can also adjust your browser settings to block pop-ups and avoid clicking on suspicious links.

4. What should I do if my computer won't turn on?

If your computer won't turn on at all, it could be due to a faulty power supply, a dead battery, or a hardware issue. First, make sure the power outlet and cable are working correctly. If the issue persists, try removing any external devices and restarting the computer. If it still won't turn on, it may be a hardware issue that requires professional assistance.

5. How do I fix a blue screen error?

A blue screen error, also known as the "blue screen of death," can occur due to hardware or software issues. It is recommended to restart your computer and check for any recent hardware or software changes that may have caused the error. Updating drivers and running a virus scan can also help. If the issue persists, it may be due to a hardware failure and requires professional assistance.