Are there any potential issues with the Windows Creator update?

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Windows
In summary: Update, it seems I did identify a bug with Creator. The Microsoft Level 3 Engineer that they had call me back said yes, it's a bug and they are now working on it and had me revert to the previous build of Windows 10. They currently have no fix for it.In summary,-Things to beware of when scheduling the download for the Windows 10 upgrade.-The update has a bug that disables flash on some websites.-Windows 10 takes over tasks that were previously handled by programs.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Things to beware of.

When you get the initial pop up window to schedule the download, it completely freezes your entire computer!

You can do nothing, you cannot access anything, you cannot minimize the pop up, you have three options install now, install later, or snooze. Ok, since I can't check to see when it might be convenient to install since they locked up my computer and it is supposed to be a lengthy installation, I foolishly chose "snooze" thinking "snooze", that's usually 5-15 minutes, that'll be plenty of time to check when the best time will be.

WRONG! Snooze is THREE DAYS!

Anyway, I selected "OFF" for all selections except for location and the one were you can only select "Basic" or "Full" where the explanation for giving them full access to all of your information is that maybe they will send you more pictures you might like. No thanks, I selected Basic.

Maybe some of you want some of the stuff they are pushing, I have no interest in any of it.

I have yet to download this thing. I have heard from others that it reset all of their basic settings and they had to go and manually reset everything back. PITA.

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Wow, that's as bad as my horror story with iPad. I went to upgrade the OS and plugged the iPad in. The photo app wanted to import all the photos while itunes said it needed to upgrade to a newer version and the iPad software said it needed to backup before the new OS could be applied. Everything just went nuts and there was no obvious activity for quite while. I foolishly pulled the plug to start again and found I had to go back to factory settings on the iPad and the supposed backup was never made so I had to use a 6 month old backup losing some of my wife's writings. All this while she was on vacation and told me NOT to update her machine as it was fine as is. Apple should have managed these operations and not allowed to run amok all at once.

With respect to Windows updates, my mother-in-law was caught in that forced update they had awhile back and it caused a lot of havoc with her machine, changing settings requiring app updates ...

Likes Evo
jedishrfu said:
... losing some of my wife's writings. All this while she was on vacation and told me NOT to update her machine as it was fine as is.
If I click your avatar, the text reads that you are from Austin, Tx... where are you living now ?? [COLOR=#black]..[/COLOR]
lmao.gif

Likes jedishrfu, rbelli1 and CalcNerd
jedishrfu said:
Ah Austin?
You set your profile location as Austin.

jedishrfu said:
Ah Austin?
I guess I'd better keep my day job...[COLOR=#black].[/COLOR] :blushing:

Likes jedishrfu
jedishrfu said:
Ah Austin?

That loud whooshing noise you heard must have been OCR's joke!

BoB

Likes OCR and jedishrfu
rbelli1 said:
That loud whooshing noise you heard must have been OCR's joke!

BoB

:check: ...[COLOR=#black].[/COLOR] lol

Just found a major glitch with the upgrade! It disables flash in Edge, even though it shows to be turned ON, it is disabled and you cannot enable it. Major mistake by Microsoft. Just had it confirmed. Only two hours on the phone. Apparently, it's only supposed to disable flash for sites that are HTML5 only, OOOPS. It seems it has no way of knowing.

Last edited:
Evo said:
Just found a major glitch with the upgrade! It disables flash in Edge, even though it shows to be turned ON, it is disabled and you cannot enable it. Major mistake by Microsoft. Just had it confirmed. Only two hours on the phone. Apparently, it's only supposed to disable flash for sites that are HTML5 only, OOOPS. It seems it has no way of knowing.
That's Microsoft for you.

I got so fed up with OneDrive popping up when I was saving PDF and Word documents, I uninstalled it. At least the update didn't change the setting 'load at Windows start-up'. But some of my file association with programs were reset which was annoying, and then I had to try and fix my printing issue because Windows took over that task -- whatever that means. All working as usual now, though.

Best update ever...

Update, it seems I did identify a bug with Creator. The Microsoft Level 3 Engineer that they had call me back said yes, it's a bug and they are now working on it and had me revert to the previous build of Windows 10. They currently have no fix for it.

And once again, I had to go into settings and tell it to boot on more than one core. :frown: I wish the updates would stop doing that to my system.

What is a Windows Creator Caveat?

A Windows Creator Caveat is a warning or limitation that is associated with the use of a specific software program or tool, specifically pertaining to the Windows operating system. It outlines potential issues or risks that users may encounter while using the software.

Why are Windows Creator Caveats important?

Windows Creator Caveats are important because they inform users of any potential risks or limitations associated with the software they are using. This allows users to make informed decisions and take necessary precautions to avoid any negative impacts on their system.

How can I find out if a software program has any Windows Creator Caveats?

To find out if a software program has any Windows Creator Caveats, you can check the documentation or user manual that comes with the program. You can also search for information online or contact the software developer directly.

What should I do if I encounter a Windows Creator Caveat while using a software program?

If you encounter a Windows Creator Caveat while using a software program, it is important to read and understand the caveat. You may need to take specific actions, such as changing settings or updating your system, to address the issue. If you are unsure, you can seek help from the software developer or a technical support team.

Can Windows Creator Caveats be fixed?

In most cases, Windows Creator Caveats can be fixed, either by following specific instructions provided by the software developer or by updating your system. However, in some cases, the caveat may be a permanent limitation of the software and cannot be fixed.