Debugging Latex Equations: Tips and Tools for Troubleshooting

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter John Creighto
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Error Latex
In summary: I was using the old form $$\mathcal L(a_1,...a_n, ...;\dot a_1,..,\dot a_n, ...;t)$$and it was working on my blog, but apparently not on this site. As for the other site, it's a phpBB forum and they don't seem to have any control over the latex settings. I'll just have to stick with the old form for that site. Thanks for all the help! In summary, the equation $\left(\frac{\partial \mathcal L(a_1,…a_n, …;\dot a_1,..,\dot a_n, …;t)}{\partial a_i}\right) - \left
John Creighto
Code:
\left(\frac{\partial \mathcal L(a_1,…a_n, …;\dot a_1,..,\dot a_n, …;t)}{\partial a_i}\right) - \left(\frac{d}{dy} \frac{\partial \mathcal L(a_1,…a_n, …;\dot a_1,..,\dot a_n, …;t)}{\partial \dot a_i}\right) = 0 \quad \text{for } i = 1, \dots, n, i \neq j

The above equation works on this form but won't work on my wordpress blog (see Lagrangian Mechanics and The Heat Equation), and it won't work on http://www.climateaudit.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=766&p=14997#p14997 . Is there any useful tools for debugging latex equations? If anyone is curious the above equation is the Eular Lagrange Equation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
\mathcal is usually succeeded by {blah}. Could that be the problem?

You can use TeXnic for debugging information.

Dragonfall said:
\mathcal is usually succeeded by {blah}. Could that be the problem?

You can use TeXnic for debugging information.

I gave it a try. No such luck though. Thanks though. I'm going to give TeXnic a try. Hopefully it will save me a lot of trouble in the future.

Try changing \text to \textrm (or something).

"\mathcal is usually succeeded by {blah}. Could that be the problem?"

No - if the argument to mathcal is longer than a single character then {} would be needed, but without them it is applied only to the next character, the L.

I copied your code and tried it in Latexit on my Macbook pro - no problem - it compiled it without a hitch, and displayed it just as you see it above. If this is indeed what it should look like, perhaps there is a code structure used here that your other software doesn't support? Or perhaps it's something so glaringly simple that we all miss it at first shot.

[tex]
\left(\frac{\partial \mathcal L(a_1,…a_n, …;\dot a_1,..,\dot a_n, …;t)}{\partial a_i}\right) - \left(\frac{d}{dy} \frac{\partial \mathcal L(a_1,…a_n, …;\dot a_1,..,\dot a_n, …;t)}{\partial \dot a_i}\right) = 0 \quad \text{for } i = 1, \dots, n, i \neq j
[/tex]

and no, \text is designed specifically to be used inside displays like this, so we no longer have to work with those annoying little boxes to get the formatting correct. textrm would probably work too, but I don't think this is where the problem might be.

statdad said:
no, \text is designed specifically to be used inside displays like this, so we no longer have to work with those annoying little boxes to get the formatting correct. textrm would probably work too, but I don't think this is where the problem might be.

Well, I just ran the input in a boring tex file (i.e. something that looked like \documentclass{article}\begin{document}$$math$$\end{document}), and I got an "undefined control sequence" error for \text, which this went away with \textrm.By the way, to the OP, you should replace "..." with "\ldots".

cristo said:
Well, I just ran the input in a boring tex file (i.e. something that looked like \documentclass{article}\begin{document}$$math$$\end{document}), and I got an "undefined control sequence" error for \text, which this went away with \textrm.

By the way, to the OP, you should replace "..." with "\ldots".

Bingo - \text works when the amsmath package is used - if you don't have it in your preamble you get the undefined control sequence error.

I don't know how the interpreters for this site and the OPs blogs are set up, but it would seem that the default settings here load amsmath while the other sites do not.

cristo said:
By the way, to the OP, you should replace "..." with "\ldots".

Thankyou. This was the problem :)

Related to Debugging Latex Equations: Tips and Tools for Troubleshooting

1. What is a Latex Error?

A Latex Error is an error that occurs when compiling a document using the Latex typesetting system. It can be caused by a variety of factors, such as incorrect syntax, missing packages, or conflicting commands.

2. Why am I getting a Latex Error?

There are many reasons why you may be getting a Latex Error. Some common causes include typos in your code, missing or outdated packages, or using incompatible commands.

3. How do I fix a Latex Error?

The best way to fix a Latex Error is to carefully review your code and identify any errors or inconsistencies. You can also try using a debugging tool or consulting online resources or forums for assistance.

4. Can I prevent Latex Errors?

While it's impossible to completely prevent Latex Errors, there are steps you can take to minimize the chances of encountering them. These include using a good text editor with syntax highlighting, keeping your packages updated, and carefully reviewing your code before compiling.

5. Is there a way to automatically find and fix Latex Errors?

There are some tools and programs that can help identify and fix Latex Errors, such as the Latex Error Finder or the Latex Error Analyzer. However, these tools are not foolproof and may not catch all errors, so it's still important to review your code manually.