Deciding Bounds & Finding Sup/Inf

• Thread starter elle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bounds
In summary, the conversation is about determining whether a given sequence is bounded above, bounded below, or bounded, and finding the supremum and infimum if applicable. The speaker is struggling with similar questions and is asking for guidance on how to approach the answer. They mention that the supremum is the least upper bound and the infimum is the greatest lower bound. The conversation also includes a discussion on the behavior of the sequence and how it can help determine bounds.
elle
Help! I've been asked to decide whether or not the given sequence is

i) bounded above
ii) bounded below
iii) bounded

and to determine (where appropriate) the supremum and infimum.

I've got like 6 similar questions to attempt but I don't know where to start :confused: The examples we have been given in our notes are so complicated that I don't understand them :frown: Can someone show me how to approach the answer? Thanks very much!

I know Supremum is the least upper bound and infimum is the greatest lower bound.

http://tinypic.com/ftlrg5.jpg"

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well quite clearly, since n is a natural number we have [tex]a_n = 1 + \frac{1}{n} \ge 1 + \frac{1}{{n + 1}} = a_{n + 1} [/tex]. So the 'non-alternating' part is a decreasing sequence. In fact, that part of your sequence will converge to 1. The behaviour of (-1)^n for natural numbers n is fairly obvious. You should now be able to decide on a bound.

First make certain that you know what "bounded above", "bounded below", and "bounded" MEAN!

Then write out a few terms of the sequence. It should quickly become obvious.

Related to Deciding Bounds & Finding Sup/Inf

1. What is the purpose of "Deciding Bounds & Finding Sup/Inf: A Guide"?

The purpose of this guide is to provide a step-by-step process for determining the upper and lower bounds of a set of data, as well as finding the supremum and infimum of the set.

2. Why is it important to find the upper and lower bounds of a set?

Knowing the upper and lower bounds of a set can help determine the range of values that the data can take on. This is useful in identifying outliers and understanding the spread of the data.

3. What is the difference between supremum and infimum?

The supremum (or least upper bound) is the smallest number that is greater than or equal to all the elements in the set. The infimum (or greatest lower bound) is the largest number that is less than or equal to all the elements in the set.

4. How do you decide which method to use for finding the bounds?

The method used for finding the bounds depends on the type of data and the given conditions. The guide provides several different techniques, such as using algebra, calculus, or graphical representation, to determine the bounds.

5. Can this guide be applied to any type of data?

Yes, the guide can be applied to any type of data as long as the data has a defined order and can be represented numerically. The techniques used in the guide are applicable to both discrete and continuous data sets.