Deciding My Senior Year: Math or Physics for a Mathematical Physicist

In summary, the conversation discusses the decision between taking graduate courses in mathematics or undergraduate courses in physics for the upcoming year. The individual wants to become a mathematical physicist and has a strong background in mathematics but has not taken any quantum courses yet. They are questioning whether learning physics on their own is realistic and seeking advice on the best path to take for graduate school applications. The advice given is to focus on undergraduate courses in physics for a well-rounded background and to save graduate courses for later.
math_owen
Ok. I have to decided on which path to take next year.

I want to be a mathematical physicist. I'm going into my senior year, and I have almost literally taken every math class offered. I took 8 pure math classes last year. I've taken the 1st year of physics too.

Next year I can take graduate classes in mathematics or I can't opt to take physics classes. Mixing them doesn't really work with the scheduling. I would need to take 3 physics classes in the fall so that I can take quantum in the spring. I would like to research the mathematics behind quantum in graduate school and beyond.

So, should I take the grad classes, which will help me get into a better math grad school, or do I take the physics?

I've been told by some that I should learn the physics on my own if I wish to be a mathematical physicist. Is this realistic? To me, this sounds like Bourbaki-arrogance. I don't know too many Bourbaki's that can handle reading Landau, but I'm sure they would say they "could". Thing for me is, I "want" to be able to read Landau and beyond someday - as well as the classic Algebra by Bourbaki.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
read Landau, good idea

You say you will need to take three classes this fall so that you can take quantum in the spring - does that mean you've not taken any quantum at all so far?

No, no quantum yet. In the fall would be a waves and optics class, EM, and mech, and in the spring quantum 1 and EM 2. I'm not at all worried about the intense work. Especially after Differential Geom, Analysis on Manifolds, Fourier analysis and Complex analysis last semester. I just want to make the wisest choice.

If you want to apply to graduate programs in physics, undergraduate courses in classical mechanics, E&M, statistical mechanics and quantum are pretty much essential. You might want to take a lab course too.

My advice: you have 4 (5? 6?) years of grad school to take grad courses. Use your undergrad to broaden your background and explore material that sounds interesting.

Related to Deciding My Senior Year: Math or Physics for a Mathematical Physicist

1. What is the difference between math and physics for a mathematical physicist?

Mathematical physics is a branch of physics that uses mathematical tools and concepts to study and understand physical phenomena. On the other hand, pure mathematics focuses on abstract mathematical concepts and theories. A mathematical physicist combines these two fields to apply mathematical methods to solve problems in physics.

2. Which subject is more important for a mathematical physicist: math or physics?

Both math and physics are equally important for a mathematical physicist. A strong foundation in mathematics is necessary to understand and solve complex physics problems, while a deep understanding of physics is crucial in applying mathematical concepts to real-world phenomena. Therefore, a balance between the two subjects is necessary for a successful career as a mathematical physicist.

3. Can I major in both math and physics for a career as a mathematical physicist?

Yes, it is possible to double major in math and physics to become a mathematical physicist. However, it may require a heavier course load and a longer duration to complete both majors. Alternatively, you can major in one subject and take courses or pursue a minor in the other to gain a strong foundation in both fields.

4. Which subject should I choose for my senior year: math or physics?

The subject you choose for your senior year should depend on your personal interests and career goals. If you are more interested in the theoretical and mathematical aspects of physics, then focusing on math in your senior year would be beneficial. On the other hand, if you want to pursue experimental or applied physics, then focusing on physics in your senior year would be more suitable.

5. What career opportunities are available for a mathematical physicist?

A mathematical physicist can pursue various career paths, including research positions in academia, government agencies, or private industries. They can also work in fields such as engineering, data analysis, finance, and computer science. Additionally, many mathematical physicists go on to become professors, teaching and mentoring future generations of scientists.