Replacing a non-harmonic function with a harmonic function

Your Name]In summary, the problem at hand is to find an equivalent harmonic function g(x,y,z) that satisfies the boundary condition x=0 and is equal to the given non-harmonic function f(x,y,z). This can be achieved by manipulating f(x,y,z) and adding terms that cancel out its non-zero Laplacian. It is recommended to approach this problem analytically, consulting with experts, and collaborating with others for potential solutions.
shahab44
TL;DR Summary
replacing a non-harmonic function with a harmonic function
I am solving a problem of the boundary condition of Dirichlet type, in order to solve the problem, the functions within the differential equations suppose to be harmonic.

I have a function f(x,y,z) (the function attached) which is not harmonic. I must find an equivalent function g(x,y,z) which shall its Laplacian to be zero and at the boundary which is x=0 to be equal to f(x,y,z) "i.e f(0,y,z)=g(0,y,z)"
I have been trying with Mathematica for almost a week but just by trail, which is not a clever way. I am wondering if there is a way to do it.

thanks

Attachments

• hGluh.jpg
    hGluh.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 339
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your problem with the community. I can understand the frustration of trying to solve a difficult problem without a clear solution in sight. However, I believe there are a few steps you can take to approach this problem in a more systematic and efficient manner.

Firstly, it is important to understand the concept of a harmonic function and its relationship with the Laplace equation. A function is considered harmonic if it satisfies the Laplace equation, which is a second-order partial differential equation. This equation states that the sum of the second-order partial derivatives of a function with respect to its variables must equal zero. In other words, a function is harmonic if its Laplacian (the sum of its second-order partial derivatives) is equal to zero.

In your case, you have a function f(x,y,z) that is not harmonic. This means that its Laplacian is not equal to zero. In order to find an equivalent function g(x,y,z) that is harmonic, you will need to manipulate f(x,y,z) in a way that its Laplacian becomes zero. This can be achieved by adding a term or terms to f(x,y,z) that cancel out the non-zero terms in its Laplacian.

To do this, you can start by considering the Taylor series expansion of f(x,y,z) around the point x=0. This will give you an expression for f(x,y,z) in terms of its derivatives at x=0. From there, you can manipulate this expression to find the additional terms that need to be added to f(x,y,z) in order for its Laplacian to be equal to zero. This approach will help you find a more systematic and analytical solution, rather than relying on trial and error.

Additionally, you can also consult with experts in the field of differential equations or seek help from colleagues who may have experience with similar problems. Collaborating with others can often lead to new insights and approaches that you may not have considered before.

I hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck in solving this problem.

1. What is a non-harmonic function?

A non-harmonic function is a mathematical function that does not follow the pattern of a harmonic function. In other words, it does not have a sinusoidal shape and does not repeat itself at regular intervals.

2. Why would you want to replace a non-harmonic function with a harmonic function?

Replacing a non-harmonic function with a harmonic function can make it easier to analyze and manipulate mathematically. Harmonic functions have well-defined properties and can be described using simple equations, making them more useful in many scientific and engineering applications.

3. How do you replace a non-harmonic function with a harmonic function?

This process involves finding a harmonic function that has a similar shape and behavior to the non-harmonic function. This can be done by using techniques such as Fourier analysis or by fitting a series of sinusoidal functions to the non-harmonic function.

4. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to replacing a non-harmonic function with a harmonic function?

One limitation is that not all non-harmonic functions can be accurately represented by a single harmonic function. In some cases, multiple harmonic functions may be needed to approximate the non-harmonic function. Additionally, the process of replacing a non-harmonic function with a harmonic function may result in loss of information or accuracy.

5. What are some real-world examples of replacing a non-harmonic function with a harmonic function?

One example is the use of Fourier series to approximate non-sinusoidal electrical signals in electronics and signal processing. Another example is the use of Fourier transforms in image and sound processing to convert non-harmonic signals into harmonic signals that are easier to analyze and manipulate.