Is the Dirac Delta Function of x^2 Equivalent to Delta of x?

In summary, the Dirac delta function is a map that takes a function as its input and returns the value of that function at the origin. This can be symbolized as ##f \mapsto f(0)##. While there may be different notations used, they all serve the same purpose. It is important to note that the delta function is a functional, and not a function itself. In the conversation, there is a debate about whether the delta function of ##x^2## is equal to the delta function of ##x##. One person argues that by using a variable transformation, it can be shown that the two are not equal, while another argues that the variable transformation should be done carefully and that the answer is still zero
chessmath
Hi
I would like to know what is the dirac delta function of x^2, I read somewhere it is equal to delta of x itself but why?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The Dirac delta is a map whose input is a function and output is the value at the origin. In symbols: ##f \mapsto f(0)##. There's lots different notations that are used, but they all do the essentially same thing. (Note that some notations explicitly translate function over as well, but I'm going to ignore that.)

Now the functions ##f(x)=x^2## and ##g(x) = x## both pass through the origin, so when you do Dirac to either you get zero.

I disagree. Consider the following variable transformation: [tex]u=x^2 \qquad \mathrm{d}u=2x\,\mathrm{d}x[/tex] [tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \delta(x^2)2x\,\mathrm{d}x = 2 \int_{0}^{\infty} \delta(u)\,\mathrm{d}u = 1[/tex]

But [tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \delta(x)2x\,\mathrm{d}x = 2x\mid_{x=0} = 0[/tex] So the delta functions are not the same.

0xDEADBEEF said:
I disagree. Consider the following variable transformation: [tex]u=x^2 \qquad \mathrm{d}u=2x\,\mathrm{d}x[/tex] [tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \delta(x^2)2x\,\mathrm{d}x = 2 \int_{0}^{\infty} \delta(u)\,\mathrm{d}u = 1[/tex]

But [tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \delta(x)2x\,\mathrm{d}x = 2x\mid_{x=0} = 0[/tex] So the delta functions are not the same.

I think one needs to be more careful with the limits when changing variables. The singularity in the integral occurs right at the point where one needs to split up the integral to do the change of variables, which prevents us from doing so.

Consider what happens if we do the calculation like this instead:

$$I = \int_{-\infty}^\infty dx~2x \delta(x^2 - \epsilon),$$
where ##\epsilon## is a small positive constant to be taken to zero at the end of the calculation. Using the rule

$$\delta(g(x)) = \sum_i \frac{\delta(x-x_i)}{|g'(x_i)|},$$
where the ##x_i## are zeros of g(x), we have

$$\begin{eqnarray*}
I & = & \int_{-\infty}^\infty dx~2x \left[ \frac{\delta(x-\sqrt{\epsilon})}{2\sqrt{\epsilon}} + \frac{\delta(x+\sqrt{\epsilon})}{|-2\sqrt{\epsilon}|}\right] \\
& = & \frac{1}{\sqrt{\epsilon}}\left[ \sqrt{\epsilon} + (-\sqrt{\epsilon})\right] \\
& = & 0.
\end{eqnarray*}$$
(Taking the limit at this point is, of course, trivial).

Last edited:
0xDEADBEEF said:

Invalid. Integration by substitution is only well defined when we are dealing with functions with real variables.

PS: Dirac is a functional. So, the statement "Dirac delta of g" means "apply Dirac delta to g". If you want ##\delta \circ g## you need to write "Dirac composed with g".

Last edited:
Sorry, people but wikipedia agrees with me. The variable transform rule is the only sensible way to define [tex]\delta(f(x))[/tex]. This can also be seen in the definition of the delta function as the limit of an integral over a thinner and thinner peak. The variable transform can be done before taking the limit so it is legal. Due to this definition we can also see that the following makes sense (and I have seen it in textbooks) [tex]\int_0^\infty \delta(x) f(x) = \frac{1}{2}f(0)[/tex] Mute's argument is nice but the second formula is only valid if g'(x) is not zero. It is in fact a result of the variable substitution formula, because locally you can approximate g(a) as a linear function and 1/g' is the volume element for the corresponding variable change. It seems as if the limiting process is not legal. If we do any limits they should be done with a definition of the delta function as a limit. Although I also find it a bit funny that the modified delta function integral of a function that is zero at the origin will produce one. pwsnafu's definition of the delta function seems to differ from that of the rest of the world.

0xDEADBEEF said:
Sorry, people but wikipedia agrees with me. The variable transform rule is the only sensible way to define [tex]\delta(f(x))[/tex]. This can also be seen in the definition of the delta function as the limit of an integral over a thinner and thinner peak. The variable transform can be done before taking the limit so it is legal. Due to this definition we can also see that the following makes sense (and I have seen it in textbooks) [tex]\int_0^\infty \delta(x) f(x) = \frac{1}{2}f(0)[/tex] Mute's argument is nice but the second formula is only valid if g'(x) is not zero. It is in fact a result of the variable substitution formula, because locally you can approximate g(a) as a linear function and 1/g' is the volume element for the corresponding variable change. It seems as if the limiting process is not legal. If we do any limits they should be done with a definition of the delta function as a limit. Although I also find it a bit funny that the modified delta function integral of a function that is zero at the origin will produce one. pwsnafu's definition of the delta function seems to differ from that of the rest of the world.

The change of variables does not work in your calculation because you have to split the integral up right at the point where the delta function should "ping". That needs to be treated more carefully. (Also, we are not arguing against the convention ##\int_0^\infty \delta(x)f(x) = f(0)/2##.)

In my calculation g'(x) where the delta function "pings" because I have shifted the discontinuity away from zero to a value where the derivative exists, and hence the calculation is valid. The only way it can be incorrect is to argue that

$$\lim_{\epsilon \rightarrow 0} \int_{-\infty}^\infty dx~2x \delta(x^2-\epsilon) \neq \int_{-\infty}^\infty dx~2x \delta(x^2).$$

So, let's try this as you suggest: let's take ##\int_{-\infty}^\infty dx~2x \delta(x^2)## to mean

$$\lim_{\epsilon\rightarrow 0}\int_{-\infty}^\infty dx~2x \delta_\epsilon(x^2),$$

where ##\delta_\epsilon(x^2)## is a nascent delta function. Let's choose

$$\delta_\epsilon(x^2) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}\epsilon} \exp\left(-\frac{(x^2)^2}{2\epsilon^2}\right).$$

Then,

$$\int_{-\infty}^\infty dx~2x \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}\epsilon} \exp\left(-\frac{(x^2)^2}{2\epsilon^2}\right) = 0$$
by symmetry.

Hm. Well, let's try a nascent delta function that's not symmetric, then. Let's consider

$$\delta_\epsilon(x) = \frac{\mbox{Ai}(x/\epsilon)}{\epsilon},$$
where Ai(x) is the Airy function. But then we have ##\delta_\epsilon(x^2) = Ai(x^2/\epsilon)/\epsilon##, and so it will turn out to be an even integrand again: Changing variables to ##y = x/\sqrt{\epsilon}## gives

$$\int_{-\infty}^\infty dx~2x \frac{\mbox{Ai}(x^2/\epsilon)}{\epsilon} = \int_{-\infty}^\infty dy~2y \mbox{Ai}(y^2) = 0.$$

So, for the moment I remain convinced that the answer is zero in this case.

Note, however, there are potential problems, at least computationally: if we consider a general function ##f(x)##, then

$$\int_{-\infty}^\infty dx~f(x) \frac{\mbox{Ai}(x^2/\epsilon)}{\epsilon} = \int_{-\infty}^\infty dy~\frac{f(\sqrt{\epsilon}y)}{\epsilon} \mbox{Ai}(y^2).$$

If the function f(x) is odd in y, then the integral is of course still zero by symmetry. However, if f is not odd then ##f(\sqrt{\epsilon}y)/\sqrt{\epsilon}## may diverge as ##\epsilon## tends to zero, in which case we cannot take the limit inside the integrand. This does not imply the limit does not exist, per se, but we would have to do the integral first and then take the limit to find out whether it does or not.

Last edited:
0xDEADBEEF said:
pwsnafu's definition of the delta function seems to differ from that of the rest of the world.

What? Did even read Wikipedia, that you cite?

Sorry, people but wikipedia agrees with me. The variable transform rule is the only sensible way to define

Are you citing this? Then you need the derivative of the inverse.

PS: Wait are you citing this? Then it clearly states:
provided that g is a continuously differentiable function with g′ nowhere zero.
But ##g(x)=x^2## doesn't satisfy this. So I ask you again: how do you define ##\delta(x^2)##. If ##\phi_n \rightarrow \delta## then (if I understand your argument)
##\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\int_{\mathbb{R}} \phi_n(x^2) \, f(x) \, dx = \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\int_0^\infty \phi_n(u) \, \frac{f(\sqrt u}{2\sqrt u} \, du##
but I'm not seeing how the RHS is well-defined as a generalised function for some arbitrary test function f.

I'm personally starting to get the feeling ##\delta(x^2)## is not a well-defined generalised function.

Last edited:

Related to Is the Dirac Delta Function of x^2 Equivalent to Delta of x?

1. What is the Delta Dirac function of (x^2)?

The Delta Dirac function of (x^2) is a mathematical function that represents an infinitely narrow and tall spike at x=0, with an area of 1 under the curve. It is often denoted as δ(x^2) or δ(x^2-0).

2. What is the purpose of the Delta Dirac function of (x^2)?

The Delta Dirac function of (x^2) is often used in mathematical equations to model an impulse or point source. It can also be used to represent a concentration of mass or charge at a single point.

3. How is the Delta Dirac function of (x^2) different from the regular Delta Dirac function?

The regular Delta Dirac function, denoted as δ(x), represents an infinitely narrow and tall spike at x=0, with an area of 1 under the curve. The Delta Dirac function of (x^2) is similar, but is specifically centered at x=0 and has a squared term in the argument.

4. What is the integral of the Delta Dirac function of (x^2)?

The integral of the Delta Dirac function of (x^2) is equal to the area under the curve, which is 1. This can be written as ∫δ(x^2)dx = 1.

5. How is the Delta Dirac function of (x^2) used in physics?

The Delta Dirac function of (x^2) is commonly used in physics to represent point sources of energy or mass, such as in the study of electric fields or particle interactions. It is also used in Fourier analysis and signal processing to represent impulses or sudden changes in a signal.