Delta-Scuti phase folded light curve equation

In summary, there is a concern about the up-down asymmetry in the data and whether it can be accurately modeled by an equation. The possibility of errors in the folding period and the approach to determining the equation is discussed.
so_gr_lo
Homework Statement
Trying to fit a model to the phase folded light curve (v-band mag vs phase) from delta-scuti v-band data, tried to find an equation relating magnitude and phase for variable stars but can't find anything, is there a specific equation I can try to fit ? I've included the equation for asymmetric sinusoidal functions but not sure thats applicable
Relevant Equations
e.g. y=cos(x-1/2cos(x))

equation for calculating phase
[(t–to)/P]
data I'm trying to fit
1676928606971.png

Physics news on Phys.org
The left-right asymmetry does not seem to be the major issue. It's the up-down asymmetry that bothers me. How does it get to be so sharp at the minima?
But I'm no astrophysicist, so maybe this happens. If so, any known explanation that would suggest an equation form?

If you don't care about the physics and just want some equation that models it I'll have a go.

The thickening approaching the peak is also curious. Is it possible that your folding period isn't quite right, e.g. if you double it do you see alternating behaviours over successive peaks?

Edit: given the raw data, and the desire to express it as ##y=A\sin(f(x))+B##, I would determine A and B by inspection and plot ##\arcsin(\frac{y-B}A)## against x. Of course, you will need to arrange that ##|\frac{y_i-B}A|\leq 1\forall i##, either by exaggerating A or by smoothing the data.

Edit 2: I just tried that by extracting a subset of the raw data from your chart. The result looked remarkably like the raw data. Reiterating led to a series of curves tending towards a sawtooth. Of course, one does have to be careful with an ambiguity arising from arcsin, but that does not seem to be the problem.

Last edited:

1. What is a Delta-Scuti phase folded light curve equation?

A Delta-Scuti phase folded light curve equation is a mathematical formula used to analyze the brightness variation of a Delta-Scuti variable star over time. It takes into account the star's pulsation period and phase to create a folded light curve, which is a graph of the star's brightness over one full pulsation cycle.

2. How is the Delta-Scuti phase folded light curve equation calculated?

The equation is typically calculated using photometric data collected from observations of the Delta-Scuti star. This data includes the star's brightness measurements at different points in time, which are then used to plot the folded light curve. The equation itself involves mathematical operations such as averaging, normalization, and phase shifting.

3. What is the significance of the Delta-Scuti phase folded light curve equation?

The equation is significant because it allows scientists to study the pulsation behavior of Delta-Scuti stars in a more precise and accurate manner. By analyzing the folded light curve, scientists can determine the star's pulsation period, amplitude, and other important parameters that provide insights into the star's internal structure and evolution.

4. Can the Delta-Scuti phase folded light curve equation be applied to other types of stars?

While the equation is specifically designed for Delta-Scuti variables, it can also be applied to other types of pulsating stars with similar characteristics. This includes other types of variable stars such as Cepheids, RR Lyrae stars, and eclipsing binaries.

5. Are there any limitations to the Delta-Scuti phase folded light curve equation?

Like any scientific equation, the Delta-Scuti phase folded light curve equation has its limitations. It assumes that the star's pulsation period and amplitude remain constant over time, which may not always be the case. It also relies on accurate and precise photometric data, which can be affected by factors such as atmospheric conditions and instrumental errors.