Derivation of Fermi-Dirac distribution

In summary: So you take the partial derivative with respect to each one. In your case, you want to take the derivative with respect to g_i f_i. So you take the partial derivative of the function in 2.5.11 with respect to g_i f_i and set it equal to zero.This will give you a set of N equations in N unknowns, where N is the number of variables (in this case, the number of g_i f_i terms).
kidsasd987
http://ecee.colorado.edu/~bart/book/book/chapter2/pdf/ch2_5_5.pdfcan you please tell me where f/(f(gi,fi) is from?

and also how to get to (2.5.13)

Physics news on Phys.org
kidsasd987 said:
can you please tell me where f/(f(gi,fi) is from?

I don't see the expression in the text. Where is it?

and also how to get to (2.5.13)

you simply take the derivative of the expression in brackets in 2.5.12. Use the expression for lnW in 2.5.8.

pellman said:
I don't see the expression in the text. Where is it?

sorry, it should be eq(2.5.12), f/f(gifi).

Also, can you tell me what variable do we take if we find a derivative of eq 2.5.12

This is a very cumbersome derivation. It's much easier in terms of 2nd quantization. Let's take free non-relativistic fermions (ideal gas). The grand canonical operator for thermal equilibrium (as derived from the maximum-entropy principle under the constraint of given mean energy and particle number) is given by
$$\hat{R}=\frac{1}{Z} \exp(-\beta \hat{H}+\alpha \hat{N}),$$
where I choose convenient Lagrange multipliers. Their relation to the usual thermodynamic quantities follow later when we've evaluated the partition sum. It will turn out that ##\beta=1/(k_\text{B} T)## and ##\alpha=\mu/T## (where ##T## is the temperature and ##\mu## the chemical potential of the gas).

We assume the particles to be in a cubic box of length ##L##. Assuming periodic boundary conditions, the possible single-particle momentum eigenvalues are ##\vec{p} \in \frac{\hbar}{2 \pi L} \mathbb{Z}^3##. In addition we have the ##2s+1## spin states with ##\sigma_z \in \{-s,-s+1,\ldots,s \}##, where ##s \in \{1/2,3/2,\ldots \}## is the spin of the fermions. The possible occupation numbers for each momentum-spin particle states are only ##0## or ##1## (because we've fermions, and the field operators thus obey canonical equal-time anti-commutation relations). Thus the partion sum is
$$Z=\mathrm{Tr} \exp(-\beta \hat{H}+\alpha \hat{N})=\prod_{\vec{p},\sigma_z} \sum_{N(\vec{p},\sigma_z)=0}^{1} \exp[-N(\vec{p},\sigma_z) E(\vec{p})+\alpha N(\vec{p},\sigma_z)]= \prod_{\vec{p},\sigma_z} [1+\exp(-\beta E(\vec{p})+\alpha)].$$
Thus we have
$$\hat{R}=\frac{\exp(-\beta \hat{H}+\alpha \hat{N})}{\prod_{\vec{p},\sigma_z} [1+\exp(-\beta E(\vec{p})+\alpha)]}.$$
Now the mean occupation number of each single-particle state is given by
$$\mathrm{Tr}[\hat{R} \hat{N}(\vec{p},\sigma_z)]=\frac{\exp[-\beta E(\vec{p})+\alpha]}{1+\exp(-\beta E(\vec{p})+\alpha)} = \frac{1}{\exp[\beta E(\vec{p})-\alpha]+1},$$
which is the Fermi-Dirac distribution.

kidsasd987 said:
sorry, it should be eq(2.5.12), f/f(gifi).

Also, can you tell me what variable do we take if we find a derivative of eq 2.5.12

By f/f(gifi) you mean [itex] \partial / \partial (g_i f_i ) [/itex] , right ? Ok. I'm not familiar with the physics here. I haven't looked at this for a long time. Just following the math. The author says you need to find the maximum of the function in 2.5.11. This is with respect to the quantities [itex]g_i f_i[/itex] for each i , where you are treating each [itex]g_i f_i[/itex] as a single variable. Mentally replace the [itex]g_i f_i[/itex] with [itex]x_i [/itex] if it helps.

To maximize (or minimize) a function with respect to a set of N variables [itex]x_i [/itex], you take the partial derivative with respect to each one and set it equal to zero, giving N equations in N unknowns. (Which may or may not be solvable.) In this case, the variables are [itex]g_i f_i[/itex] (treated as a single variable) for each i.

What is the Fermi-Dirac distribution?

The Fermi-Dirac distribution is a probability distribution that describes the distribution of particles in a system that obeys the principles of quantum mechanics. It was derived by physicists Enrico Fermi and Paul Dirac in the 1920s and is used to describe the behavior of fermions, which are particles with half-integer spin.

What is the importance of the Fermi-Dirac distribution?

The Fermi-Dirac distribution is an essential tool in understanding the behavior of particles in quantum systems, such as electrons in a solid material. It allows us to calculate the probability of finding a particle at a specific energy level and to predict the overall behavior of a system of particles.

How is the Fermi-Dirac distribution derived?

The Fermi-Dirac distribution is derived using statistical mechanics and the principles of quantum mechanics. It involves applying the concept of the Pauli exclusion principle, which states that no two fermions can occupy the same quantum state simultaneously. By considering all possible ways in which fermions can be distributed among energy levels, the distribution can be derived.

What is the difference between the Fermi-Dirac distribution and the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution?

The Fermi-Dirac distribution and the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution are both probability distributions used to describe the behavior of particles. However, the Fermi-Dirac distribution is specific to fermions, while the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution is used for particles with integer spin, known as bosons. Additionally, the Fermi-Dirac distribution takes into account the Pauli exclusion principle, while the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution does not.

What are some real-world applications of the Fermi-Dirac distribution?

The Fermi-Dirac distribution has many practical applications in fields such as solid-state physics, semiconductor technology, and astrophysics. It is used to model the behavior of electrons in materials, which is crucial in the design of electronic devices. Additionally, it is used in understanding the properties of white dwarfs, neutron stars, and other dense astronomical objects.