Derivation of the Bloch theorem

In summary: So it just becomes ##\vec{k} + \vec{k'}##. and why didn't he drop the "C" coefficent from the coefficient C ?The coefficient C is just a symbol for the magnitude of the electric field. It doesn't actually have any real meaning.
patric44
Homework Statement
some questions about the derivation of Bloch theorem
Relevant Equations
in the attachments
hi guys
our solid state professor gave us a series of power point slides that contains the derivation of Bloch theorem , but some points is not clear to me , and when i asked him his answer was also not clear :
bloch.png

in the first part i understand the he represented both the potential energy and the electron plane wave as a Fourier series
but when he multiplied both together in the last equation he introduced k' why is that ! sinse k=k+G as it wil repreat in the next parabolic dispersion and subsequently he changed the index of Ck ⇒ Ck'-G isn't that also k ?
in the next page he set again k=k+g and took the exponential as a common factor but yet leaves the "C" coefficent as k-G
why he keep alternating between k'-G , k ...
and the jump from
$$ Ψ(r) ⇒Ψk(r) $$
is not very clear to me ?

- and how i suppose to solve this Schrodinger equation i mean its no longer a differential eq ?

Physics news on Phys.org
patric44 said:
Homework Statement:: some questions about the derivation of Bloch theorem
Relevant Equations:: in the attachments

hi guys
our solid state professor gave us a series of power point slides that contains the derivation of Bloch theorem , but some points is not clear to me , and when i asked him his answer was also not clear :
View attachment 260161
in the first part i understand the he represented both the potential energy and the electron plane wave as a Fourier series
but when he multiplied both together in the last equation he introduced k' why is that ! sinse k=k+G as it wil repreat in the next parabolic dispersion and subsequently he changed the index of Ck ⇒ Ck'-G isn't that also k ?
He just introduced ##\vec{k'} \equiv \vec{G} + \vec{k} ## so that the argument of the exponential would be ##i \vec{k'} \cdot \vec{r} ## (he wanted that argument to be as simple as possible). So basically he replaces ##\vec{k}## by ##\vec{k'} - \vec{G}##.

Likes gh136
nrqed said:
He just introduced ##\vec{k'} \equiv \vec{G} + \vec{k} ## so that the argument of the exponential would be ##i \vec{k'} \cdot \vec{r} ## (he wanted that argument to be as simple as possible). So basically he replaces ##\vec{k}## by ##\vec{k'} - \vec{G}##.
i know that , why did he changed that into k in the next page as you can see when he took the e^ikr as a common factor .
and if he is considering k' = k+G = k then why didn't he drop it from the coefficient C ?
that is my question

patric44 said:
i know that , why did he changed that into k in the next page as you can see when he took the e^ikr as a common factor .
and if he is considering k' = k+G = k then why didn't he drop it from the coefficient C ?
that is my question
Ok, your questions were not very clear.

In the next page, he just renamed ##\vec{k}' \rightarrow \vec{k} ##. Since the sum is over the vectors, one can rename them, they are dummy indices.

Likes patric44

1. What is the Bloch theorem?

The Bloch theorem is a fundamental principle in solid state physics that describes the behavior of electrons in a periodic potential, such as in a crystal lattice. It states that the wavefunction of an electron in a crystal can be written as a product of a plane wave and a periodic function, known as the Bloch function.

2. Who discovered the Bloch theorem?

The Bloch theorem was first proposed by Swiss physicist Felix Bloch in 1928.

3. How is the Bloch theorem derived?

The Bloch theorem can be derived mathematically using the Schrödinger equation and the concept of translational symmetry in a crystal lattice. This involves solving the Schrödinger equation for a single electron in a periodic potential and applying boundary conditions to obtain the Bloch function.

4. What are the applications of the Bloch theorem?

The Bloch theorem is used in many areas of solid state physics, including the study of semiconductors, metals, and insulators. It is also essential for understanding phenomena such as band structure, electrical conductivity, and the behavior of electrons in magnetic fields.

5. Are there any limitations to the Bloch theorem?

While the Bloch theorem is a powerful tool for understanding the behavior of electrons in a crystal, it does have limitations. It assumes that the crystal is infinite and perfectly periodic, which is not always the case in real materials. Additionally, it does not account for the effects of electron-electron interactions, which can play a significant role in certain systems.