Derivation of two-electron density operator

In summary, the conversation discussed the derivation of the second term in 2.11a of the two-electron density. The expert explained that the term eliminates the i=j products through the use of certain identities and integration methods. They also clarified that the two-electron density is not commonly written in this form.
Mart1234
TL;DR Summary
Derivation of two electron density operator using single electron density operator
Hello, I am going over the derivation for two-electron density. I am having a hard time understanding how the second term in 2.11a seen below is derived. I know this term must eliminate the i=j products but can't seem to understand how. Thanks for the help.
1677185633960.png

Attachments

• 1677185491730.png
    1677185491730.png
    18.1 KB · Views: 81
Physics news on Phys.org
Where is this coming from? The 2nd equality of (2.11a) seems to indicate that you consider a special state of uncorrelated/free particles, but we need more context to make sense of it.

I've never seen the two-electron density written like that. Here are my thoughts but I can't say for sure.

Mart1234 said:
I know this term must eliminate the i=j products but can't seem to understand how.
Considering the terms where ##i=j## $$\sum_{i}\delta(\mathbf r-\mathbf r_i)\delta(\mathbf r' - \mathbf r_i)$$We should be able to use the identities ##\delta(x - y) = \delta(y - x)## and ##\int dy \delta(x-y)\delta(y-x') = \delta(x-x')## So we rewrite the above as $$\sum_{i}\delta(\mathbf r-\mathbf r_i)\delta(\mathbf r_i - \mathbf r')$$ and when we are computing the electron density function we will be integrating over ##\mathbf r_i## so the latter identity suggests $$\sum_i\int d\mathbf r_1\dots d\mathbf r_N \delta(\mathbf r - \mathbf r_i)\delta(\mathbf r_i - \mathbf r')|\Psi(\mathbf r_1,\dots, \mathbf r_N)|^2 = N\int d\mathbf r_2\dots d\mathbf r_N \delta(\mathbf r - \mathbf r')|\Psi(\mathbf r,\dots, \mathbf r_N)|^2$$For the last line. I am assuming $$\int dx\int dy \delta(x-y)\delta(y-x')f(y) = \int dx \delta(x-x')f(x)$$

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71
Morbert said:
I've never seen the two-electron density written like that. Here are my thoughts but I can't say for sure.Considering the terms where ##i=j## $$\sum_{i}\delta(\mathbf r-\mathbf r_i)\delta(\mathbf r' - \mathbf r_i)$$We should be able to use the identities ##\delta(x - y) = \delta(y - x)## and ##\int dy \delta(x-y)\delta(y-x') = \delta(x-x')## So we rewrite the above as $$\sum_{i}\delta(\mathbf r-\mathbf r_i)\delta(\mathbf r_i - \mathbf r')$$ and when we are computing the electron density function we will be integrating over ##\mathbf r_i## so the latter identity suggests $$\sum_i\int d\mathbf r_1\dots d\mathbf r_N \delta(\mathbf r - \mathbf r_i)\delta(\mathbf r_i - \mathbf r')|\Psi(\mathbf r_1,\dots, \mathbf r_N)|^2 = N\int d\mathbf r_2\dots d\mathbf r_N \delta(\mathbf r - \mathbf r')|\Psi(\mathbf r,\dots, \mathbf r_N)|^2$$For the last line. I am assuming $$\int dx\int dy \delta(x-y)\delta(y-x')f(y) = \int dx \delta(x-x')f(x)$$

Morbert said:
I've never seen the two-electron density written like that. Here are my thoughts but I can't say for sure.Considering the terms where ##i=j## $$\sum_{i}\delta(\mathbf r-\mathbf r_i)\delta(\mathbf r' - \mathbf r_i)$$We should be able to use the identities ##\delta(x - y) = \delta(y - x)## and ##\int dy \delta(x-y)\delta(y-x') = \delta(x-x')## So we rewrite the above as $$\sum_{i}\delta(\mathbf r-\mathbf r_i)\delta(\mathbf r_i - \mathbf r')$$ and when we are computing the electron density function we will be integrating over ##\mathbf r_i## so the latter identity suggests $$\sum_i\int d\mathbf r_1\dots d\mathbf r_N \delta(\mathbf r - \mathbf r_i)\delta(\mathbf r_i - \mathbf r')|\Psi(\mathbf r_1,\dots, \mathbf r_N)|^2 = N\int d\mathbf r_2\dots d\mathbf r_N \delta(\mathbf r - \mathbf r')|\Psi(\mathbf r,\dots, \mathbf r_N)|^2$$For the last line. I am assuming $$\int dx\int dy \delta(x-y)\delta(y-x')f(y) = \int dx \delta(x-x')f(x)$$
Got it. I appreciate the help.

1. What is the two-electron density operator?

The two-electron density operator is a mathematical operator used in quantum mechanics to describe the distribution of two electrons in a system. It is denoted by the symbol ρ2 and is defined as the sum of the individual electron density operators for each electron in the system.

2. How is the two-electron density operator derived?

The two-electron density operator is derived using the Slater determinant, which is a mathematical function that describes the wavefunction of a multi-electron system. The two-electron density operator is then obtained by taking the expectation value of the Hamiltonian operator with respect to the Slater determinant.

3. What is the significance of the two-electron density operator?

The two-electron density operator is important because it allows us to calculate various properties of a system, such as the electronic energy and electron density, by considering the behavior of two electrons at a time. This is a more accurate approach than considering each electron individually.

4. How is the two-electron density operator used in practice?

In practice, the two-electron density operator is used in quantum chemistry calculations to predict and understand the behavior of molecules and materials. It is also used in the development of computational methods for solving the Schrödinger equation, which is the fundamental equation of quantum mechanics.

5. Are there any limitations to the two-electron density operator?

Yes, there are limitations to the two-electron density operator. It assumes that the electrons in a system behave independently, which is not always the case. It also does not take into account the effects of electron correlation, which is the interaction between electrons that affects their behavior. Therefore, the two-electron density operator is most accurate for systems with weak electron correlation.