Derivative of Force in terms of distance?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the relationship between force, distance, work, and energy on a graph. The area under the curve represents work or energy, while the slope of the curve represents the force per unit distance or the gradient of the force function. The specific values of these can vary depending on the type of function being used.
Ocata
Hi,

Suppose I have a function on a graph with a vertical axis is Force and the horizontal axis is distance. Then the area under the curve is given by F*d = Work = Energy, correct? If so, then what would the slope of the curve represent? F/d = ?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
It will give you the force per unit distance if your function is linear in x(like in a spring).
Otherwise it will give you the gradient of the force as a function of x if your function is non-linear(like coulomb's law).
To know more about gradient https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gradient.

Likes Ocata
1. The area under the curve in general is given by ## \int_{x_{i}}^{x_{f}}F(x)d\,x =W ## , if ##F## is constant then ## W=F\Delta x## (I suppose always ## \cos{\theta}=1##)
2. The slope of the curve is ## \frac{d}{dx}F(x) ## and represent how the force grow or decrease respect the distance, as example if ## F_{Hooke}(x)=-kx ## then ## \frac{d}{dx}F_{Hooke}=-k## is the elastic coefficient ...

Likes Ocata
Essentially the slope gives you the spring constant at that point.

Likes Ocata
Thank you all. I will revisit this topic soon. I need to understand a few prerequisite concepts first, for which I need to create a new thread.

Related to Derivative of Force in terms of distance?

1. What is the definition of the derivative of force in terms of distance?

The derivative of force in terms of distance is the rate of change of force with respect to distance. It represents how much the force changes for a small change in distance.

2. How is the derivative of force in terms of distance calculated?

The derivative of force in terms of distance can be calculated by taking the limit of the change in force divided by the change in distance as the change in distance approaches zero. This can be represented mathematically as dF/dx = lim Δx→0 (ΔF/Δx).

3. What is the physical significance of the derivative of force in terms of distance?

The derivative of force in terms of distance represents the slope of the force-distance graph, which is also known as the force constant. It indicates how strong or weak the force is acting over a given distance.

4. How does the derivative of force in terms of distance relate to the work done by the force?

The derivative of force in terms of distance is directly proportional to the work done by the force. This means that as the derivative increases, so does the amount of work done by the force over a given distance.

5. Can the derivative of force in terms of distance be negative?

Yes, the derivative of force in terms of distance can be negative. This indicates that the force is acting in the opposite direction of the change in distance, resulting in a decrease in force over a given distance.