Derivative Transformation with Law of Cosines

In summary, the Law of Cosines can be stated as a^2 = b^2 + c^2 - 2bccos(A). Using a coordinate transformation, one can find the related partial derivatives (\frac{∂f}{∂c})_{b,a} etc.
Solidmozza
Hi there,

The Law of Cosines can be stated as

[itex]a^2 = b^2 + c^2 - 2bccos(A)[/itex]

where [itex]a[/itex],[itex]b[/itex], and [itex]c[/itex] are the sides of a triangle, and [itex]A[/itex] is the angle opposite the side [itex]a[/itex]. I have a function, [itex]f(b,c,A)[/itex], with an associated set of partial derivatives [itex](\frac{∂f}{∂c})_{b,A}[/itex] etc. What I want to do is to use a coordinate transformation to get the related derivatives [itex](\frac{∂f}{∂c})_{b,a}[/itex] etc. This looks like a multivariable partial derivative problem with a constraint. Using the chain rule, it seems to me that

[itex](\frac{∂f}{∂c})_{b,A}=\frac{∂f}{∂c}+\frac{∂f}{∂a} \frac{∂a}{∂c}[/itex]

[itex](\frac{∂f}{∂c})_{b,a}=\frac{∂f}{∂c}+\frac{∂f}{∂A} \frac{∂A}{∂c}[/itex]

where I think [itex]\frac{∂f}{∂c}[/itex] is the same in both expressions. I can calculate the [itex]\frac{∂a}{∂c}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{∂A}{∂c}[/itex] parts using the Law of Cosines, but then I don't know what to do with [itex]\frac{∂f}{∂a}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{∂f}{∂A}[/itex], i.e. if I use the transformation [itex]\frac{∂f}{∂a}=\frac{∂f}{∂A}\frac{∂A}{∂a}[/itex] then it looks like [itex](\frac{∂f}{∂c})_{b,A}=(\frac{∂f}{∂c})_{b,a}[/itex] but numerical results and intuition tell me otherwise.

In essence, I don't know how to find the partial derivative [itex](\frac{∂f}{∂c})_{b,a}[/itex] given [itex](\frac{∂f}{∂c})_{b,A}[/itex] and that the variables are connected via the Law of Cosines.

Any assistance with this problem would be greatly appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
You are getting confused because you use the same symbol, f, to denote different functions. Do not do it. Let f be a function of (b, c, A). Then let F be a function of (b, c, a). Obviously, f(b, c, A) = F(b, c, a(b, c, A)), where a(b, c, A) is the cosine law. You need to obtain the derivatives of F, use the chain rule.

Hi Voko,

Thanks for the response, but I'm still a little stuck here. This is how I continued:

[itex]dF = (∂F/∂c)dc + (∂F/∂b)db + (∂F/∂a)da[/itex]

Now [itex](∂F/∂c)_{b,a} = (∂F/∂c)[/itex] (is this not just [itex](∂f/∂c)[/itex]?)

And [itex](∂F/∂c)_{b,A} = (∂F/∂c) + (∂F/∂A)(∂A/∂c)[/itex]

But [itex](∂A/∂c) = (c-bcosA)/a[/itex]

Hence, [itex](∂F/∂c)_{b,A} - (∂F/∂c)_{b,a} = (∂A/∂c)(c-bcosA)/a[/itex]

However, this doesn't conform to what I have when I substitute in numerical values. I'm clearly not getting something here, could you give me a more forceful push?

Just to make sure we are on the same page. What you really have is ## \partial f/\partial b, \ \partial f/\partial c, \ \partial f/\partial A ##, correct? And you need to find ## \partial F/\partial b, \ \partial F/\partial c, \ \partial F/\partial a ##.

Then [tex]

\frac {\partial f} {\partial b} = \frac {\partial} {\partial b} F (b, c, a(b, c, A)) = \frac {\partial F} {\partial b} + \frac {\partial F} {\partial a} \frac {\partial a } {\partial b}

\\

\frac {\partial f} {\partial c} = \frac {\partial} {\partial c} F (b, c, a(b, c, A)) = \frac {\partial F} {\partial c} + \frac {\partial F} {\partial a} \frac {\partial a } {\partial c}

\\

\frac {\partial f} {\partial A} = \frac {\partial} {\partial b} F (b, c, a(b, c, A)) = \frac {\partial F} {\partial a} \frac {\partial a } {\partial A}

[/tex]

This is a linear system; solve for ## \partial F/\partial b, \ \partial F/\partial c, \ \partial F/\partial a ##.

Thanks a heap Voko, that did the trick! :)

What is the "Derivative Transformation with Law of Cosines"?

The "Derivative Transformation with Law of Cosines" is a mathematical concept that involves using the law of cosines to find the derivative of a given function. It is useful in calculus and related fields, and can help solve problems involving curves and angles.

How do you use the law of cosines to find the derivative of a function?

To use the law of cosines to find the derivative of a function, you must first express the function in terms of the law of cosines, which involves the cosine function and its inverse. Then, using the chain rule, you can differentiate the function to find its derivative.

What are some real-world applications of the "Derivative Transformation with Law of Cosines"?

The "Derivative Transformation with Law of Cosines" has many real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, and navigation. For example, it can be used to calculate the velocity of a moving object or the trajectory of a projectile.

Is the "Derivative Transformation with Law of Cosines" difficult to understand?

The "Derivative Transformation with Law of Cosines" may be challenging for some individuals, as it involves advanced mathematical concepts. However, with proper study and practice, it can be mastered by anyone with a strong foundation in calculus and trigonometry.

Can the "Derivative Transformation with Law of Cosines" be applied to all types of functions?

Yes, the "Derivative Transformation with Law of Cosines" can be applied to all types of functions, as long as they can be expressed in terms of the law of cosines. This includes polynomial, exponential, and trigonometric functions, among others.