Derive the State Machine from Input Sequence

In summary, the conversation discusses a 3 state machine with one input variable and the derivation of its state table. The input x produces an output sequence for z, starting in state A. The attempt at finding a distinguishing sequence is mentioned, with a 4 number sequence (0100) identified but deemed unhelpful. The possible types of the state machine (Mealy or Moore) are also questioned.
rzn972

Homework Statement

This is a 3 state machine with one input variable. The input given for x produces the output sequence for z. The machine starts in state A.
I am asked to derive the state table.

x=010001010010010011010
A
z=001000000001001000001

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that you first try to find the distinguishing sequence. I tried 2 and 3 number sequences and failed. I got a 4 number distinguishing sequence (0100), but it doesn't really help.
A(0010)= 0000
B(0010)= 0001
C(0010)= 1001 => C(0) =1
x=010001010010010011010
A A B C
z=001000000001001000001
I appreciate the help guys!

Physics news on Phys.org
is this a mealy or moore state machine?
Or can it be either?

1. How do you derive a state machine from an input sequence?

To derive a state machine from an input sequence, you must first identify all the possible inputs and outputs in the sequence. Then, you can create a state diagram to represent the different states and transitions between them based on the inputs and outputs.

2. What is the purpose of deriving a state machine from an input sequence?

The purpose of deriving a state machine from an input sequence is to understand and visualize the behavior of a system or process. This can help in identifying potential errors and improving the efficiency and effectiveness of the system.

3. What are the steps involved in deriving a state machine from an input sequence?

The steps involved in deriving a state machine from an input sequence are: 1) Identify the inputs and outputs, 2) Create a state diagram, 3) Define the initial state, 4) Determine the transitions between states based on the inputs and outputs, and 5) Test and refine the state machine.

4. Can a state machine be derived for any type of input sequence?

Yes, a state machine can be derived for any type of input sequence as long as the inputs and outputs can be identified and the system or process can be represented in a state diagram.

5. How does deriving a state machine from an input sequence help in debugging and optimizing a system?

Deriving a state machine from an input sequence can help in debugging and optimizing a system by providing a visual representation of the system's behavior. This can make it easier to identify potential errors and inefficiencies, and allow for targeted improvements to be made to the system.