Derive the wave equation for fields E, B from the potentials

In summary, the conversation discusses deriving the wave equations for the E and B fields in vacuum using the scalar and vector potentials. It is mentioned that the wave equation for the B field can be derived by taking the curl of the homogenous wave equation for the vector potential, but there is uncertainty about deriving the wave equation for the E field. The conversation goes on to discuss using the Lorenz gauge condition and making assumptions about the well-behavedness of functions in order to derive the wave equations for both fields.
phenomenologic
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Template is shown
I'm studying for my electrodynamics exam and one of the past exam questions is:

From the scalar and vector potentials, derive the homogenous wave equations for E and B fields in vacuum.

I did derive the wave equation for the B field by simply taking the curl of the homogenous wave equation for the vector potential A. But I got stuck deriving the wave equation for the E field. I think it has to come from a tricky combination of the following four equations:
1) Definition of the E field E = -Φ - ∂A/dt
2&3) Wave equations for Φ and A
4) Lorenz gauge condition: ∇.A - (1/c^2)(∂^2Φ/∂t^2) = 0

Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
If Φ satisfies the wave equation, can you show that -Φ also satisfies the wave equation?

Hmm, so I write -(ΔΦ-(1/c^2)(∂^2Φ/∂t^2))=Δ(-Φ)-(1/c^2)(∂^2(-Φ)/∂t^2)=0. And this operation (i.e, taking nabla 'inside' the Laplacian and the partial time derivative) is allowed, right? There are no restrictions on it as far as I know but I'm not 100% sure.

Then I perform the same trick for -∂A/∂t. Similarly, I take the partial derivative inside (again, assuming it's allowed), showing the equation is satisfied for -∂A/∂t. Then add up the new equations, use formula 1) above and done?

That was what I wasn't 100% sure. Thanks!

1. What is the wave equation for fields E, B?

The wave equation for fields E, B is a mathematical equation that describes the propagation of electromagnetic waves in space. It is given by the partial differential equation ∇^2E - (1/c^2)∂^2E/∂t^2 = 0, where E is the electric field, c is the speed of light, and ∇^2 is the Laplacian operator.

2. How is the wave equation derived from the potentials?

The wave equation for fields E, B can be derived from the Maxwell's equations using the vector calculus identity ∇ × (∇ × E) = ∇(∇ · E) - ∇^2E. By substituting the expressions for the electric and magnetic fields in terms of the potentials, the wave equation can be obtained.

3. What are the potentials used in the derivation of the wave equation?

The potentials used in the derivation of the wave equation are the electric potential φ and the vector potential A. These are related to the electric and magnetic fields by the equations E = -∇φ - ∂A/∂t and B = ∇ × A.

4. What is the physical significance of the wave equation for fields E, B?

The wave equation for fields E, B describes how electromagnetic waves propagate in space. This equation is important for understanding the behavior of light, radio waves, and other forms of electromagnetic radiation. It also allows us to make predictions about the properties of these waves, such as their speed and polarization.

5. Are there any simplifications or assumptions made in the derivation of the wave equation for fields E, B?

Yes, there are some simplifications and assumptions made in the derivation of the wave equation for fields E, B. These include assuming that the media in which the waves propagate are linear, isotropic, and homogeneous. Additionally, the effects of external sources and radiation are not considered in the derivation.