Deriving a volume formula, answer seems to be correct but is negative.

In summary: The lower boundary is less than the upper boundary.Sorry for the delay in responding, I've been stuck on this problem all day. The problem is that sin(u) is undefined for angles greater than pi/2. So the substitution that I made, x = r \; sin(u) would only work for angles between -pi/2 and pi/2. If I wanted to solve for u for angles greater than pi/2, I would need to use the cosine function.Thanks for the help!
e^(i Pi)+1=0
I'm an engineering student, and I'm making a formula for the volume of liquid in a cylinder that is cut in half diagonally. r is the radius, h is the height from the bottom to the top of the sloped flat bottom, and L is the height of the water within the cylinder. So when L = h you would expect the formula to be equal to h∏r^(2)/2.

z bar is the plane defining the bottom where the cylinder is "cut." It was derived using the points (-r,0,0), (r,0,h) and (0,r,h/2) so it passes through the xy plane at x = -r and touches h at x = r.

y bar is the standard equation for half a circle with radius r

a is the x value of the rightmost edge of the liquid as the tank is filled.

[itex]v = 2\int_{-r}^{a}\int_{0}^{\bar{y}}\int_{\bar{z}}^{h}dzdydx[/itex]

[itex]\bar{z} = \frac{hx}{2r}+\frac{h}{2}[/itex]

[itex]\bar{y} = \sqrt{r^{2}-x^{2}}[/itex]

[itex]a = \frac{2rL}{h}-r[/itex]

Solving leads to the following formula:

[itex]v = \frac{r^{2}h*arcsin(a/r)}{2}+\frac{ha\sqrt{r^{2}-a^{2}}}{2}-\frac{3\pi r^{2}h}{4}+\frac{h(r^{2}-a^{2})^{3/2}}{3r}[/itex]

[itex]a = \frac{2rL}{h}-r[/itex]

It's much simpler the leave a as a separate equation, solve for a and then enter it into the larger equation. If this formula were correct, you would expect it to equal zero when L equals zero, which it does. You would also expect it to equal h∏r^(2)/2 when L = h except it equals the negative of that. I've worked hard on this and am trying to get it right. Is something wrong with my setup? Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In what way is the bottom sloped? This I don't understand. Place the cylinder so that the water starts at z=0. If the bottom is sloped, this must be a sharp edge. What is the angle of rotation of the cylinder? What is angle of rotation of the cutting plane?

The cylinder is vertical. The rise of the slope is h, and the run is 2r, so the angle is arctan (h/2r). It's just cut diagonal from the bottom leftmost edge to the top rightmost edge, then discard the bottom portion.

Last edited:
Sorry for taking so long to respond. I've gone through the calculations now, I do get the correct sign. Look again at ##sin^{-1}(-1)##, that is the only error I see. In case that doesn't make sense, your third term is incorrect.

Thanks for the help, I definitely appreciate it. I can make the formula give the correct answer if I choose arcsin(-1) = -pi/2 rather than 3pi/2, but that seems rather arbitrary. How am I supposed to know that the correct answer is the first and not the second?

I made the substitution ##x = r \; sin(u)##. The integration dx runs from -r to a. This gives ##-r = r \; sin(u)##, ##u = arcsin(-1)##. The other boundary gives ##a = r \; sin(u)##, ##u = arcsin(a/r)##. The point is that these need to be within one revolution of each other (or perhaps it is always the nearest solution, not sure) and the lower boundary must be less than the upper boundary. I'm not entirely sure actually but you should be able to work it out.

Let me try and be more clear. X is being translated into an angle, x has a range: -r to a. These need to appear on the same S-shape of the sine curve, the part from -pi/2 to pi/2. They both need to appear in this interval and the bounds must be in the correct order.

What is the formula for deriving volume?

The formula for deriving volume is V = lwh, where V is volume, l is length, w is width, and h is height.

How do you know if the answer to a volume formula is correct?

You can use a measuring tool, such as a ruler or measuring tape, to physically measure the length, width, and height of an object and then plug those values into the formula to calculate the volume. If the calculated volume matches the actual volume of the object, then the answer is correct.

Why does the answer to a volume formula sometimes come out as negative?

This can happen when the dimensions used in the formula are entered incorrectly or if the object being measured is an irregular shape. It can also occur if the units of measurement are not consistent, for example, using centimeters for length and meters for width and height.

What are some common mistakes when using a volume formula?

Some common mistakes include using the wrong formula (such as using the area formula instead of the volume formula), using incorrect units of measurement, and not properly measuring the dimensions of the object.

How can I make sure my volume formula calculations are accurate?

To ensure accuracy, it is important to double-check your measurements, use the correct formula, and use consistent units of measurement. It can also be helpful to perform the calculation multiple times and compare the results to confirm the accuracy of your answer.