Deriving Equations for Light Sphere in Collinear Motion - O and O' Observers

In summary, when considering a stationary observer and a moving observer in collinear relative motion, the light pulse emitted by the moving observer can be described by two equations: x'^2 + y^2 + z^2= (ct')^2 and t' = ( t - vx/c^2 )λ. However, these equations only work if there is no relative motion between the two observers. Additionally, in order to find the x and t coordinates in the stationary observer's frame, we can use the transformation equations or the fact that the speed of light is constant in all frames. It is important to note that simultaneity is relative and cannot be attached to any absolute meaning.
JesseM said:
Yes, we can sync things up so x=0 and t=0 in O matches up with x'=0 and t'=0 in O'. I was already assuming these events matched up in all my previous calculations (since it's a requirement for them to match up in order for the Lorentz transformation to work).

BTW, this is a song I like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okUrGG66KpQ"

This means, there is time for enjoying.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
cfrogue said:
OK, post 334 is based purely on LT and not opinions.

I do not see you matching all the consequences.

Post 334 uses LT to give a stunning conclusion. You and I both derived this with you being the major player.
In 334 you only showed that in frame O, the light would reach the right endpoint at t=d/(2c), given your previous assumptions. Nothing very stunning about this. Then you said "Guess what, they occur are at the same time in O" but you never explained what "they" was supposed to refer to.
cfrogue said:
How do you square all this with your "new" assertions?
Are you actually going to give any thought to those assertions or do you just plan to dismiss them in a knee-jerk way? Tell me whether you agree or disagree with the following:

1. If the flash happened at x'=0 and t'=0 in frame O', then it is impossible the light from the flash could reach x'=d/2 at t'=0 in frame O'.

2. If the light from the flash reached x'=d/2 at t'=0 in frame O', then the only way the flash could have happened at x'=0 in frame O' would be if at happened at time t'=-d/(2c).

3. If the light reached the right endpoint at t=d/(2c) in frame O, then since the right endpoint had a position as a function of time given by x(t)=d/(2*gamma) + vt in frame O, this means that in frame O the position of the right endpoint when the light reached it must have been x = d/(2*gamma) + vd/(2c). If we plug in v=c/sqrt(2) and gamma=sqrt(2) this becomes x=d/sqrt(2).

4. If the light reached the right endpoint at x=d/sqrt(2), t=d/(2c) in frame O, then if the flash happened at x=0 in frame O, the flash must have happened at a time d/(c*sqrt(2)) earlier than the time it reached the position x=d/sqrt(2). So, if the flash happened at x=0 in frame O, this implies it happened at time t=d/(2c) - d/(c*sqrt(2))=d*(1 - sqrt(2))/(2c)

Please think about and consider each of these and tell me whether you agree or disagree with each; if you disagree with any, please explain why.

JesseM said:
In 334 you only showed that in frame O, the light would reach the right endpoint at t=d/(2c), given your previous assumptions. Nothing very stunning about this. Then you said "Guess what, they occur are at the same time in O" but you never explained what "they" was supposed to refer to.

Well, it is axiomatic that t=d/(2c) in O.

However, we are looking at O' and the simultaneity of it with regard to the left and right points hit of the rod

We did that. Here is the equation.
[tex]
t = \frac{d}{2c} \frac{1}{\sqrt{c^2/v^2 - 1}}
[/tex]
OK, that is when O believes O' sees the simultaneous strike.

I said set v = c/√2.

Guess what, they occur are at the same time in O as does the strikes of the endpoints of O'.

JesseM said:
Are you actually going to give any thought to those assertions or do you just plan to dismiss them in a knee-jerk way? Tell me whether you agree or disagree with the following:

1. If the flash happened at x'=0 and t'=0 in frame O', then it is impossible the light from the flash could reach x'=d/2 at t'=0 in frame O'.

2. If the light from the flash reached x'=d/2 at t'=0 in frame O', then the only way the flash could have happened at x'=0 in frame O' would be if at happened at time t'=-d/(2c).

3. If the light reached the right endpoint at t=d/(2c) in frame O, then since the right endpoint had a position as a function of time given by x(t)=d/(2*gamma) + vt in frame O, this means that in frame O the position of the right endpoint when the light reached it must have been x = d/(2*gamma) + vd/(2c). If we plug in v=c/sqrt(2) and gamma=sqrt(2) this becomes x=d/sqrt(2).

4. If the light reached the right endpoint at x=d/sqrt(2), t=d/(2c) in frame O, then if the flash happened at x=0 in frame O, the flash must have happened at a time d/(c*sqrt(2)) earlier than the time it reached the position x=d/sqrt(2). So, if the flash happened at x=0 in frame O, this implies it happened at time t=d/(2c) - d/(c*sqrt(2))=d*(1 - sqrt(2))/(2c)

Please think about and consider each of these and tell me whether you agree or disagree with each; if you disagree with any, please explain why.

I am really not concerned with all this.

There is a condition where all of this is false according to LT.

What I think you should do is assert that the conclusions of LT we went through are false.

cfrogue said:
Um, no it isn't. The rod is at rest in O', not O, remember?
cfrogue said:
However, we are looking at O' and the simultaneity of it with regard to the left and right points hit of the rod
In O' the strikes occurred simultaneously (as you said in post 319) and at t'=0 (as you said in post 322), that was part of the original conditions of the problem! It was when and where they occurred in O that you were wondering about.
cfrogue said:
[tex]
[/tex]
No, that was the equation for what time t in frame O the light would strike the right endpoint of the rod at rest in O', given that it reached the right endpoint at t'=0 and x'=d/2 in O'. You never calculated anything about when the light would reach the left endpoint in O.
cfrogue said:
I said set v = c/√2.

Guess what, they occur are at the same time in O as does the strikes of the endpoints of O'.
No, the time of the strikes in O' was t'=0. Here are your words from post #322:
cfrogue said:
Please look at what you gave me.

I have changed it at the end.

It will strike the right endpoint at t = ( t' + vx'/(c^2))λ in O'.

t'=0 and x'=d/2 because the rod length is d and the light is centered.

So, t = vdλ/(2*c^2)

t = (d/(2c)) (v/c)λ
t = (d/(2c)) sqrt(1/((c/v)^2 - 1))

How does the last equation look?
Perhaps you should go back and reread the discussion from post #322 on to refresh your memory.

Last edited:
cfrogue said:

[tex]
[/tex]

I said set v = c/√2.

No. The formula for t(R') is only correct if (x'(R')=d/2, t'(R')=0), which cannot be the case if the light is emitted at (x=x'=0, t=t'=0). You made the same error back in #334, and JesseM corrected your error in #335:

cfrogue said:
Now, we looked at a general equation when O calculated O' saw its points struck at the same time.

[tex]
[/tex]

I said set v = c/√2.

Guess what, they occur are at the same time in O.

JesseM said:
That equation was based on the assumption that the light reached the right endpoint of the rod at rest in O' at time t'=0 in O', which means if you want the flash to have happened at the center of this rod at x'=0 in O', it must have happened at t'=-d/(2c), which means (by applying the Lorentz transformation to x'=0, t'=-d/(2c)) it did not happen at x=0 in O.

I suppose you could drop the assumption that the flash happened at the center of the rod at x'=0 in O'. Then if we say it hit the right endpoint at [tex]t = \frac{d}{2c} \frac{1}{\sqrt{c^2/v^2 - 1}}[/tex] in O, and we plug in v=c/sqrt(2) so t=d/(2c). And in frame O the right endpoint has x(t) = d/(2*gamma) + vt, so at t=d/(2c) it is at:
x = d/(2*gamma) + vd/(2c)

And with v=c/sqrt(2) and gamma=sqrt(2), this becomes:

x = d/(2*sqrt(2)) + d/(2*sqrt(2)) = d/sqrt(2)

So if we want the flash to have happened at x=0, it must have happened at a time d/(c*sqrt(2)) earlier than the moment the light reached the right end in frame O, meaning in frame O the flash happened at t = d/(2c) - d/(c*sqrt(2)) = d/(2c) - (d*sqrt(2))/(2c) = d*(1 - sqrt(2))/(2c). But of course if the flash happened at x=0 and t=d*(1 - sqrt(2))/(2c), that means it did not happen at x'=0 in frame O'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pi2_tgCSJQ"

Last edited by a moderator:
JesseM said:
No, the time of the strikes in O' was t'=0. Here are your words from post #322:

cfrogue said:

I didn't understand what cfrogue meant by "because the rod length is d and the light is centered", do you?

Edit: I understand it explains x'=d/2, but t'=0?

atyy said:
I didn't understand what cfrogue meant by "because the rod length is d and the light is centered", do you?

Edit: I understand it explains x'=d/2, but t'=0?
Yes, I figured that just referred to the x'=d/2 part, if not I don't understand the reasoning either. But either way, I just took it as part of the statement of the problem that the light reached the right end of the rod at rest in O' at x'=d/2, t'=0.

cfrogue said:
It will strike the right endpoint at t = ( t' + vx'/(c^2))λ in O'.

What do you mean by "because the rod length is d and the light is centered". Is that supposed to explain why t'=0?

There are 5 events in question:
1) flash: t = t' = 0, x = x' = 0
2) light hits right end of unprimed rod: t = d/(2c), x = d/2
3) light hits left end of unprimed rod: t = d/(2c), x = -d/2
4) light hits right end of primed rod: t' = d/(2c), x' = d/2
5) light hits left end of primed rod: t' = d/(2c), x' = -d/2

DaleSpam said:
But cfrogue didn't say the flash coincided with the origin...there's no reason it needs to, the flash can occur anywhere in spacetime we want to set it, and the origins of the two coordinate systems can occur somewhere else. On the other hand, sometimes cfrogue says things which suggest maybe he does want the flash to occur at the origin...if true that would just mean his thinking is confused, though, since having the flash occur at the origin would be incompatible with the stated assumption that the light strikes the right end of the rod in O' at t'=0 and x'=d/2.

DaleSpam said:

My interpretation too.

JesseM said:
But cfrogue didn't say the flash coincided with the origin...there's no reason it needs to, the flash can occur anywhere in spacetime we want to set it, and the origins of the two coordinate systems can occur somewhere else. On the other hand, sometimes cfrogue says things which suggest maybe he does want the flash to occur at the origin...if true that would just mean his thinking is confused, though, since having the flash occur at the origin would be incompatible with the stated assumption that the light strikes the right end of the rod in O' at t'=0 and x'=d/2.

Yes, I think cfrogue is confused in that way, not totally sure though, I am confused as to how he is confused!

JesseM said:
I think that is what he intended, it certainly is what he intended until the last few pages where the discussion between you and he became confusing to me. Let's wait for him to confirm or clarify.

JesseM said:
Um, no it isn't. The rod is at rest in O', not O, remember?

Yes, I was talking about what O sees about the flash here. I preobably need to be very specific of the frames.

Anyway, this is what O sees for its own version of the light sphere.

JesseM said:
In O' the strikes occurred simultaneously (as you said in post 319) and at t'=0 (as you said in post 322), that was part of the original conditions of the problem! It was when and where they occurred in O that you were wondering about.

There are three ideas.
1) When does O see the strikes of the endpoints of its own rod
2) When does O see the strikes of the endpoints of the rod of O'. This has not been part of the discussions, but O sees the strikes at d/(2λ(c-v)), d/(2λ(c+v)).
3) We then explored the question, when does O calculate that O' will see the simultaneous strikes in its own frame. We came up with this equation.

[tex]
[/tex]

We know that ct' = ±x' at this time t, in the frame in O. So, we then set v = c/√2.
At this v, the light sphere strikes the endpoints of the rod of O and it also strikes the endpoints of the rod of O'. But, the center of the rod/light sphere of O' is located at vt = (c/√2)(d/(2c))= d/(2 √2 ) in the coordinates of O.

atyy said:
No. The formula for t(R') is only correct if (x'(R')=d/2, t'(R')=0), which cannot be the case if the light is emitted at (x=x'=0, t=t'=0). You made the same error back in #334, and JesseM corrected your error in #335:

Thanks for the music link!

So, when does O calculate that O' sees the right and left end points struck at the same time?

This is not asking when does O see the left and right endpoint of O' struck.

atyy said:
What do you mean by "because the rod length is d and the light is centered". Is that supposed to explain why t'=0?

OK, d/2 is because the roid length is d while at rest in O' and the light source is centered, therefore, light must travel in O' from the center to the endpoints which is a length d/2.

t'=0 means that is the initial condition at which the light pulse is emitted.

DaleSpam said:

Agreed.

Then, the question is, in the time of O, when does the light sphere satisfy 4 and 5 as simultaneous in O'.

JesseM said:

You and I went through a lengthy discusstion that
x=0, t=0, x'=0, t'=0.

No, it does not have to be this way, but it is easier.

cfrogue said:
Yes, I was talking about what O sees about the flash here. I preobably need to be very specific of the frames.
But what do you mean for "what O sees about the flash" specifically? The coordinates in O that the flash occurs? The coordinates in O that the light from the flash reaches the endpoint of a rod at rest in O? Or the coordinates in O that the light from the flash reaches the endpoint of a rod at rest in O'? It was the third one that we calculated when we found t = d/(2c)--first you had assumed the light reached the endpoint of the rod at rest in O' at t'=0 and x'=d/2 (post 322), then you had performed the Lorentz transformation on these coordinates and we found that the corresponding t coordinate in O was t = (d/2c)*1/sqrt(c^2/v^2 - 1) (posts 322, 325, and 327), then you plugged in v=c/sqrt(2) into this and we got t=d/2c (posts 330 and 331). So, the whole thing was based on assuming we were talking about the time the light reached the end of the rod at rest in O', and finding the time coordinate of this event in O assuming that the coordinates of this event in O' were t'=0 and x'=d/2. Do you disagree with this synopsis? (if you do, please review the posts I linked to and see if any of my description is inaccurate)
cfrogue said:
There are three ideas.
1) When does O see the strikes of the endpoints of its own rod
2) When does O see the strikes of the endpoints of the rod of O'. This has not been part of the discussions, but O sees the strikes at d/(2λ(c-v)), d/(2λ(c+v)).
You really are confused, 2) was the whole basis for our discussions.
cfrogue said:
3) We then explored the question, when does O calculate that O' will see the simultaneous strikes in its own frame. We came up with this equation.

[tex]
[/tex]
No, that equation was only for the time coordinate in O of the light reaching the right endpoint of the rod at rest in O', again assuming the light hit the right endpoint of the rod at rest in O' at t'=0 and x'=d/2 in O'. Again, please review the previous posts.
cfrogue said:
We know that ct' = ±x' at this time t, in the frame in O. So, we then set v = c/√2.
At this v, the light sphere strikes the endpoints of the rod of O and it also strikes the endpoints of the rod of O'.
No, you specifically assumed that the light hit the right end of the rod at rest in O' at time t'=0 in O', not at time t'=d/(2c) in O'.
JesseM said:
cfrogue said:
You and I went through a lengthy discusstion that
x=0, t=0, x'=0, t'=0.

No, it does not have to be this way, but it is easier.
More confusion on your part, we were only talking about whether the clocks and positions of the two frames were synched such that the origin of one lined up with the origin of the other, i.e. x=0 and t=0 lined up with x'=0 and t'=0 (this is always assumed in any situation where you make use of the Lorentz transformation, if it wasn't true you'd have to use a more general 'Poincaré transformation'). This has nothing to do with the question of whether the light flash happened at the origin of both frames! The light flash can happen at any coordinates we want it to. If you want to have the light flash happen at the spacetime origin of both frames that will certainly make the problem a lot simpler, but then you will have to change your original assumption from post 322 that the light reached the endpoint of the rod at rest in O' at time t'=0 and position x'=d/2, because it's incompatible with the idea that the original flash happened at x'=0 and t'=0. Instead we should say, as DaleSpam did, that the light reached the endpoint of the rod at rest in O' at time t'=d/(2c) and position x'=d/2, and then if we apply the Lorentz transformation to that in order to find the coordinates of this event in O, we will not get a time coordinate of t = (d/2c)*1/sqrt(c^2/v^2 - 1) as in the previous derivation. Instead the time coordinate of this event in O will work out to:

t = gamma*(t' + vx'/c^2) = gamma*(d/(2c) + (d/2c)*(v/c)) = (d/2c)*gamma + (d/2c)*gamma*(v/c) = (d/2c)*[1/sqrt(1 - v^2/c^2)] + (d/2c)*1/sqrt(c^2/v^2 - 1).

If you then plug in v=c/sqrt(2) and gamma=sqrt(2) you get:

t = (d/2c)*(sqrt(2) + 1)

Not t=d/2c as was the case previously when you assumed the event happened at t'=0 and x'=d/2.

JesseM said:
But what do you mean for "what O sees about the flash" specifically? The coordinates in O that the flash occurs? The coordinates in O that the light from the flash reaches the endpoint of a rod at rest in O? Or the coordinates in O that the light from the flash reaches the endpoint of a rod at rest in O'? It was the third one that we calculated when we found t = d/(2c)--first you had assumed the light reached the endpoint of the rod at rest in O' at t'=0 and x'=d/2 (post 322), then you had performed the Lorentz transformation on these coordinates and we found that the corresponding t coordinate in O was t = (d/2c)*1/sqrt(c^2/v^2 - 1) (posts 322, 325, and 327), then you plugged in v=c/sqrt(2) into this and we got t=d/2c (posts 330 and 331). So, the whole thing was based on assuming we were talking about the time the light reached the end of the rod at rest in O', and finding the time coordinate of this event in O assuming that the coordinates of this event in O' were t'=0 and x'=d/2. Do you disagree with this synopsis? (if you do, please review the posts I linked to and see if any of my description is inaccurate)

So, the whole thing was based on assuming we were talking about the time the light reached the end of the rod at rest in O', and finding the time coordinate of this event in O

This is the goal.

In O', light must travel a distance d/2 in both directions so x' is OK.

The question I then asked was, when will this happen in the time of O, that the light travels d/2 in O'?

I think that t'=0 is wrong. I think I made a mistake there. Thanks for going through that.

Should it be this?

x'=d/2.

x'=ct'.

t = ( t' - vx'/c² )λ

t = ( x'/c - vx'/c² )λ

t = ( d/(2c) - vd/2c²)λ

t = d/(2c) ( 1 - (v/c) )λ

Does this look better?

cfrogue said:
So, the whole thing was based on assuming we were talking about the time the light reached the end of the rod at rest in O', and finding the time coordinate of this event in O

This is the goal.

In O', light must travel a distance d/2 in both directions so x' is OK.

The question I then asked was, when will this happen in the time of O, that the light travels d/2 in O'?

I think that t'=0 is wrong. I think I made a mistake there. Thanks for going through that.

Should it be this?

x'=d/2.

x'=ct'.
Right, so t' = x'/c = d/2c.
cfrogue said:
t = ( t' - vx'/c² )λ
Minor mistake: it should be a + sign there since we're going from O' to O (and O' is the one moving at +v relative to O), i.e. t = gamma*(t' + vx'/c^2)
cfrogue said:
t = ( x'/c - vx'/c² )λ

t = ( d/(2c) - vd/2c²)λ

t = d/(2c) ( 1 - (v/c) )λ

Does this look better?
should be t = (d/2c)*(1 + (v/c))*gamma, but otherwise yes.

I'm taking a little trip for the weekend so I'll have to continue this on Monday, see you later...

DaleSpam said:
cfrogue said:
Agreed.

Then, the question is, in the time of O, when does the light sphere satisfy 4 and 5 as simultaneous in O'.
This is found simply through the Lorentz transform:
[tex]t = \gamma (t' - v x'/c^2)[/tex]
[tex]x = \gamma (x' - v t')[/tex]

So we just plug in and evaluate:
4)
[tex]t_4 = \gamma \left( \frac{d}{2c} - v \frac{d}{2c^2} \right)[/tex]
[tex]x_4 = \gamma \left( \frac{d}{2} - v \frac{d}{2c} \right)[/tex]

5)
[tex]t_5 = \gamma \left( \frac{d}{2c} + v \frac{d}{2c^2} \right)[/tex]
[tex]x_5 = \gamma \left( -\frac{d}{2} - v \frac{d}{2c} \right)[/tex]

JesseM said:
Right, so t' = x'/c = d/2c.

Minor mistake: it should be a + sign there since we're going from O' to O (and O' is the one moving at +v relative to O), i.e. t = gamma*(t' + vx'/c^2)

should be t = (d/2c)*(1 + (v/c))*gamma, but otherwise yes.

I'm taking a little trip for the weekend so I'll have to continue this on Monday, see you later...

Great thanks, later.

Looks correct. I am going to work on this a while.

JesseM said:
My personal preference is to leave the formula the same and just let v be negative if it is going to the left. Either way is fine.

Here is the summary.

A light source is centered on a moving rod, moving at v, of rest length d, with the center at O'.

The stationary frame also has a rod of rest length d and the center at O.

When O and O' are coincident, light emits at O' which is a light source.

The questions is, in the time of O, when does O' see the endpoints of its rod struck simultaneously.

Code:
 |-------->v
               Light is emitted
                     |
 |-------------------O'------------------|
|--------------------O--------------------|
-d/2                                       d/2

Code:
Below, the left endpoint and right endpoint are struck simultaneously in O'.
   |-------->v
   |-------------------O'--------------------|

This is the time in O when O' sees the simultaneous stikes.

[tex]
t = \frac{d}{2c} {\sqrt{\frac{c+v}{c-v}}
[/tex]

Please correct any errors in the above.

DaleSpam said:
My personal preference is to leave the formula the same and just let v be negative if it is going to the left. Either way is fine.

How do I see formulas in lex here?

All I see is black with some very light white.

I have to copy them elsewhere to see them.

cfrogue said:
How do I see formulas in lex here?

All I see is black with some very light white.

I have to copy them elsewhere to see them.
You must have an out-of-date internet browser. Update to a more recent version if you can. (e.g. Internet Explorer 7 or 8, Firefox 3, Safari 4.)

DrGreg said:
You must have an out-of-date internet browser. Update to a more recent version if you can. (e.g. Internet Explorer 7 or 8, Firefox 3, Safari 4.)

Thanks DrGreg.

DaleSpam said:

I'm working from the above.

cfrogue said:
Here is the summary.

A light source is centered on a moving rod, moving at v, of rest length d, with the center at O'.

The questions is, in the time of O, when does O' see the endpoints of its rod struck simultaneously.

Code:
 |-------->v
               Light is emitted
                     |
Code:
   |-------->v

In your drawing for the emission, you took the unprimed point of view and drew the primed rod contracted. If your drawing for light striking an endpoint (there are 4 such events) is also from the unprimed point of view, then the primed rod should remain contracted.

cfrogue said:

[tex]
[/tex]

I haven't checked the details, but you have only one time where you should have two different times by plugging DaleSpam's (x'4, t'4) into the Lorentz transformations to get (x4, t4), and similarly with (x'5, t'5) to get (x5, t5), which should match DaleSpam's:

DaleSpam said:
This is found simply through the Lorentz transform:
[tex]t = \gamma (t' - v x'/c^2)[/tex]
[tex]x = \gamma (x' - v t')[/tex]

So we just plug in and evaluate:
4)
[tex]t_4 = \gamma \left( \frac{d}{2c} - v \frac{d}{2c^2} \right)[/tex]
[tex]x_4 = \gamma \left( \frac{d}{2} - v \frac{d}{2c} \right)[/tex]

5)
[tex]t_5 = \gamma \left( \frac{d}{2c} + v \frac{d}{2c^2} \right)[/tex]
[tex]x_5 = \gamma \left( -\frac{d}{2} - v \frac{d}{2c} \right)[/tex]

Edit: In the above formulas, I believe DaleSpam's "v" is cfrogue's "-v".

Last edited:
cfrogue said:
Here is the summary.

Code:
 |-------->v
               Light is emitted
                     |
Code:
   |-------->v

[tex]
[/tex]

Please correct any errors in the above.
It is good to see you starting to use diagrams, you are almost ready for actual spacetime diagrams.

Expanding [itex]\gamma[/itex] in the expressions I gave for [itex]t_4[/itex] and [itex]t_5[/itex] above and simplifying I get
[tex]
t_4 = \frac{d}{2c} {\sqrt{\frac{c+v}{c-v}}
[/tex]
which is what you had, and
[tex]
t_5 = \frac{d}{2c} {\sqrt{\frac{c-v}{c+v}}
[/tex]
which you omitted

DaleSpam said:
It is good to see you starting to use diagrams, you are almost ready for actual spacetime diagrams.

Expanding [itex]\gamma[/itex] in the expressions I gave for [itex]t_4[/itex] and [itex]t_5[/itex] above and simplifying I get
[tex]
[/tex]
which is what you had, and
[tex]
[/tex]
which you omitted

The question that was asked is what is the time in O in which O' sees the strikes as simultaneous.

The equations you listed are the times O sees the two different strikes.

That is not the issue.

O' sees the endpoints of the rod struck at the same time at some time t'

There exists a time in O when this occurs.

That is the answer I was looking for.

So, again, the question is not when does O see the endpoints of O' struck.

The question is when in the time of O does O' see the strikes of its endpoints.

There are 4 strikes of endpoints - 2 endpoints per rod.

For O , 2 of them are simultaneous, 2 are not simultaneous.

For O' , 2 of them are simultaneous, 2 are not simultaneous.

The strikes simultaneous for O are not simultaneous for O'

The strikes simultaneous for O' are not simultaneous for O.

atyy said:
There are 4 strikes of endpoints - 2 endpoints per rod.

For O , 2 of them are simultaneous, 2 are not simultaneous.

For O' , 2 of them are simultaneous, 2 are not simultaneous.

The strikes simultaneous for O are not simultaneous for O'

The strikes simultaneous for O' are not simultaneous for O.

This is all true.

For O' , 2 of them are simultaneous
This occurs for the endpoints of O'.

Now, the question that was asked is when does this happen in the time of t.

cfrogue said:
This is all true.

For O' , 2 of them are simultaneous
This occurs for the endpoints of O'.

Now, the question that was asked is when does this happen in the time of t.
DaleSpam gave that answer as:

[tex]
[/tex]
and
[tex]
[/tex]

Those are the times in O that the 2 strikes occur simultaneously in O'. A single t' in O' for two nonlocal events correspond to two different t values in O.

cfrogue said:
The question that was asked is what is the time in O in which O' sees the strikes as simultaneous.

The equations you listed are the times O sees the two different strikes.

That is not the issue.

O' sees the endpoints of the rod struck at the same time at some time t'

That is the answer I was looking for.

So, again, the question is not when does O see the endpoints of O' struck.

The question is when in the time of O does O' see the strikes of its endpoints.
It seems like you don't yet fully grasp the relativity of simultaneity. That is OK, it is one of the most difficult concepts to master.

Because the strikes are simultaneous in O' they are not simultaneous in O. That means that the strikes have two different times in O, as shown by the Lorentz transform above. So your question, as posed, has no answer. There is no single time in O when both endpoints of O' are struck by the light.

The key error is here:
cfrogue said:
There does not exist a single such time. There exist two, one for each end of the rod.

Last edited: