Deriving Equations for Light Sphere in Collinear Motion - O and O' Observers

In summary, when considering a stationary observer and a moving observer in collinear relative motion, the light pulse emitted by the moving observer can be described by two equations: x'^2 + y^2 + z^2= (ct')^2 and t' = ( t - vx/c^2 )λ. However, these equations only work if there is no relative motion between the two observers. Additionally, in order to find the x and t coordinates in the stationary observer's frame, we can use the transformation equations or the fact that the speed of light is constant in all frames. It is important to note that simultaneity is relative and cannot be attached to any absolute meaning.
Is anyone going to tackle this?

OK, I have another way to look at it, tell me what you think.

I have a light timer on the left end of a rod of length r and a light source in the center of the rod. A light timer records the time when light strikes it. This will be the moving frame at v.

Now, when the center of the rod is at the origin of O, all clocks are synchronized to 0 in each frame.

Now, light will strike the left point of the rod at t = r/(λ(c+v)) in O.

What will the light timer in O' read, t' = t*λ, for time dilation?

Physics news on Phys.org
cfrogue said:
Maybe so, but the fact is if you are in a frame and light emits from a light source, light moves spherically from the light source with the light source as the center.
DaleSpam said:
No, it does not. The light flash moves spherically from the origin of the flash regardless of the subsequent motion of the source. That is the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postulates_of_special_relativity" : "As measured in an inertial frame of reference, light is always propagated in empty space with a definite velocity c that is independent of the state of motion of the emitting body."
cfrogue said:
You have failed to realize in the moving frame, it thinks it is at rest.

Light proceeds spherically in that frame from the light emission point in the frame.

Now, from the rest frame, that center point is at vt at any time t.

We must be scientific.
No, your reasoning is incorrect. Suppose that the source is at rest in the moving frame. Then it will be true that in the moving frame, the light proceeds spherically from the position of the source, and since the source is at rest in the moving frame the light sphere always remains centered on the source in this frame. It is also true that in the stationary frame, the source is moving with speed vt. However, this does not mean that in the stationary frame, the light is centered on the source--it's not, in the stationary frame it's centered on the position the source was when it emitted the light. If you would actually do the math instead of relying on vague verbal arguments you'd see this (I showed you the math in post 189, where I started by assuming the light had the equation of an expanding sphere in the coordinates of the moving frame, and showed that if you then apply the Lorentz transformation to the coordinates the light passes through in the moving frame to find the coordinates it passes through in the stationary frame, you see that it still has the equation of an expanding sphere in the coordinates of the stationary frame). You'd also be able to see this conceptually if you bothered to learn how Minkowski diagrams work. As long as you continue to rely only on words you're going to be confused, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
JesseM said:
No, your reasoning is incorrect. Suppose that the source is at rest in the moving frame. Then it will be true that in the moving frame, the light proceeds spherically from the position of the source, and since the source is at rest in the moving frame the light sphere always remains centered on the source in this frame. It is also true that in the stationary frame, the source is moving with speed vt. However, this does not mean that in the stationary frame, the light is centered on the source--it's not, in the stationary frame it's centered on the position the source was when it emitted the light. If you would actually do the math instead of relying on vague verbal arguments you'd see this (I showed you the math in post 189, where I started by assuming the light had the equation of an expanding sphere in the coordinates of the moving frame, and showed that if you then apply the Lorentz transformation to the coordinates the light passes through in the moving frame to find the coordinates it passes through in the stationary frame, you see that it still has the equation of an expanding sphere in the coordinates of the stationary frame). You'd also be able to see this conceptually if you bothered to learn how Minkowski diagrams work. As long as you continue to rely only on words you're going to be confused, though.

Suppose I told you I am relying on the math.

Now, the sphere expands in the rest frame.

But, it is expanding in the moving frame as well.

Confirm or deny this.

cfrogue said:
Is anyone going to tackle this?

It is trivial:

You confuse the center that is observed by an observer, with the some center that he can calculate for some moving observer. You can calculate a lot of moving coordinates in your frame, that doesn't move the light sphere, or any other physical object.

Similar to the Length contraction thread you entire argument is based on confusing two different things, by using inaccurate language, and ignoring all attempts to clarify what is meant.

A.T. said:
It is trivial:

You confuse the center that is observed by an observer, with the some center that he can calculate for some moving observer. You can calculate a lot of moving coordinates in your frame, that doesn't move the light sphere, or any other physical object.

Similar to the Length contraction thread you entire argument is based on confusing two different things, by using inaccurate language, and ignoring all attempts to clarify what is meant.

I cannot find an answer.

Is time dilation applicable yes or no.

cfrogue said:
Suppose I told you I am relying on the math.

Now, the sphere expands in the rest frame.

But, it is expanding in the moving frame as well.

Confirm or deny this.
Yes, that is true, but it's perfectly spherical and centered on the origin in both frames. The correct way to do the math is to figure out which x',y',z',t' coordinates the light passes through in one frame, then apply the Lorentz transformation to find the x,y,z,t coordinates the light must therefore pass through in the other frame (this is exactly what I did in post 189). Does your version of "the math" involve figuring out the coordinates the light passes through in one frame and applying the Lorentz transformation? If not it is probably based on mistaken classical assumptions (but it would help if you would actually write out whatever math you are basing your statements on, so people could identify the flaw).

JesseM said:
Yes, that is true, but it's perfectly spherical and centered on the origin in both frames. The correct way to do the math is to figure out which x',y',z',t' coordinates the light passes through in one frame, then apply the Lorentz transformation to find the x,y,z,t coordinates the light must therefore pass through in the other frame (this is exactly what I did in post 189). Does your version of "the math" involve figuring out the coordinates the light passes through in one frame and applying the Lorentz transformation? If not it is probably based on mistaken classical assumptions (but it would help if you would actually write out whatever math you are basing your statements on, so people could identify the flaw).

Yea, I am glad you finally confessed one light sphere has two origins.

(but it would help if you would actually write out whatever math you are basing your statements on, so people could identify the flaw)

You wrote the above to me.

Now, can you provide the math in the context of a light sphere without frames on how this is realizable in the real external world?

cfrogue said:
Yea, I am glad you finally confessed one light sphere has two origins.
No I did not, because the two frames are not measuring "one light sphere", they are measuring different light spheres which represent different cross-sections of the same light cone (the light cone being the set of all points in spacetime that the light passes through). Each frame defines a "light sphere" as a set of points on the light cone that all occur at the same time-coordinate in that frame, so due to the relativity of simultaneity, the set of events that one frame defines to be contained on a single light sphere would actually occur at many different times and thus be part of many different light spheres in the other frame.

cfrogue said:
You have failed to realize
Why do you put in pointless little snide side comments like this? You should realize by now that I do not have any knowledge deficit or comprehension problem on this topic. I understand it well and fully, and I have been nothing but courteous and patient with you. Frankly, it is tiring to try to help you out when you are so repetitively insulting to myself and others. I certainly have done nothing to provoke this nor deserve it. Such behaviour is very immature.

I don't even think that you misunderstand the material, I think that you just deliberately write sloppily and avoid standard terminology in order to purposefully provoke argument and you add such extraneous insults in order to deliberately inflame the argument.

DaleSpam said:
Why do you put in pointless little snide side comments like this? You should realize by now that I do not have any knowledge deficit or comprehension problem on this topic. I understand it well and fully, and I have been nothing but courteous and patient with you. Frankly, it is tiring to try to help you out when you are so repetitively insulting to myself and others. I certainly have done nothing to provoke this nor deserve it. Such behaviour is very immature.

I don't even think that you misunderstand the material, I think that you just deliberately write sloppily and avoid standard terminology in order to purposefully provoke argument and you add such extraneous insults in order to deliberately inflame the argument.

Sorry to offend you.

I will not do it again.

But, I have some material here.

No, I do not misunderstand any more than you do.

I am glad you figured that out.

JesseM said:
No I did not, because the two frames are not measuring "one light sphere", they are measuring different light spheres which represent different cross-sections of the same light cone (the light cone being the set of all points in spacetime that the light passes through). Each frame defines a "light sphere" as a set of points on the light cone that all occur at the same time-coordinate in that frame, so due to the relativity of simultaneity, the set of events that one frame defines to be contained on a single light sphere would actually occur at many different times and thus be part of many different light spheres in the other frame.

Your light cone is based on forcing the origins to be the same.

The M diagrams place the origin of the light emission at a common point.

Are you claiming this is true in reality?

JesseM said:

Say, Post #211, what do you think?

cfrogue said:
Your light cone is based on forcing the origins to be the same.

The M diagrams place the origin of the light emission at a common point.

Are you claiming this is true in reality?
Of course you can have multiple flashes of light from different points, which will result in multiple light cones. But the whole problem we are considering is what happens when a single source let's out a single flash of light in all directions, and different frames look at how the light from this flash expands over time, from the perspective of their own coordinates. There aren't two separate flashes, one for each frame, it's two frames analyzing the same single flash.

cfrogue said:
I will not do it again.
Thanks, I appreciate that.
cfrogue said:
But, I have some material here.
Let's summarize the material:

1) you agree with my post 2, that the equation of the light cone in the unprimed is ct = ± x
2) you agree with my post 4, that the equation of the light cone does not violate relativity of simultaneity
3) you agree with my post 191, that the "multiple centers" and elongation are due to the relativity of simultaneity

As far as I can tell the remaining discussion is not substantive and is simply due to lingering communication problems.

JesseM said:
Of course you can have multiple flashes of light from different points, which will result in multiple light cones. But the whole problem we are considering is what happens when a single source let's out a single flash of light in all directions, and different frames look at how the light from this flash expands over time, from the perspective of their own coordinates. There aren't two separate flashes, one for each frame, it's two frames analyzing the same single flash.

You know I am only talking about one light flash.

In the rest frame it proceeds spherically from 0 and in the moving frame it proceeds spherically from vt all from the view of O.

cfrogue said:
OK, I have another way to look at it, tell me what you think.

I have a light timer on the left end of a rod of length r and a light source in the center of the rod. A light timer records the time when light strikes it. This will be the moving frame at v.

Now, when the center of the rod is at the origin of O, all clocks are synchronized to 0 in each frame.

Now, light will strike the left point of the rod at t = r/(λ(c+v)) in O.
You originally said the rod had a rest length of r and the light was emitted from the center, which would mean in the rod's rest frame the distance from the center to the left end was only r/2...but based on this equation, presumably you should have said the distance from the center to the left end was r, and the rod's total rest length was 2r. Assuming that's what you meant, then yes, the time in frame O where the rod is moving to the right at speed v would be t=r/(gamma*(c+v))
cfrogue said:
What will the light timer in O' read, t' = t*λ, for time dilation?
It depends on how the light timer was synchronized. If the timer was set to read 0 at the moment the flash was emitted according to the definition of simultaneity in frame O, then yes, when the light reached it the timer would read t' = t*gamma = r/(c+v). But if the timer was set to read 0 at the moment the flash was emitted according to the definition of simultaneity in the rod's own rest frame, then no, it wouldn't, it would just read t' = r/c.

DaleSpam said:
Thanks, I appreciate that.
Let's summarize the material:

1) you agree with my post 2, that the equation of the light cone in the unprimed is ct = ± x
2) you agree with my post 4, that the equation of the light cone does not violate relativity of simultaneity
3) you agree with my post 191, that the "multiple centers" and elongation are due to the relativity of simultaneity

As far as I can tell the remaining discussion is not substantive and is simply due to lingering communication problems.

You and I agree. I see all this and agree.

There is more to explore.

Please consider post #211.

Also, consider the multiple light source origins.

cfrogue said:
In the rest frame it proceeds spherically from 0 and in the moving frame it proceeds spherically from vt all from the view of O.
Wrong. Again, I showed the math to prove that if the flash proceeds spherically from the origin in one frame, then applying the Lorentz transformation shows that the same flash also proceeds spherically from the origin in the other frame. You have no math to support your own silly claims.

JesseM said:
You originally said the rod had a rest length of r and the light was emitted from the center, which would mean in the rod's rest frame the distance from the center to the left end was only r/2...but based on this equation, presumably you should have said the distance from the center to the left end was r, and the rod's total rest length was 2r. Assuming that's what you meant, then yes, the time in frame O where the rod is moving to the right at speed v would be t=r/(gamma*(c+v))

It depends on how the light timer was synchronized. If the timer was set to read 0 at the moment the flash was emitted according to the definition of simultaneity in frame O, then yes, when the light reached it the timer would read t' = t*gamma. But if the timer was set to read 0 at the moment the flash was emitted according to the definition of simultaneity in the rod's own rest frame, then no, it wouldn't, it would just read t' = r/c.

Geez, another error.

I meant the radius.

Each clock sync occurs only in the frame and not the other.

Are you OK?

cfrogue said:
Geez, another error.

I meant the radius.

Each clock sync occurs only in the frame and not the other.
If the light timer was synchronized so that it read 0 at the moment of the flash in the rod's rest frame, then it would show a time of r/c when the light reached it. If this wasn't true the second postulate of SR would be violated.

JesseM said:
If the light timer was synchronized so that it read 0 at the moment of the flash in the rod's rest frame, then it would show a time of r/c when the light reached it. If this wasn't true the second postulate of SR would be violated.

You did not understand what I said.

t = r/(λ*(c+v))

What is t'?

t' = t*λ for time dilation?

JesseM said:
Wrong. Again, I showed the math to prove that if the flash proceeds spherically from the origin in one frame, then applying the Lorentz transformation shows that the same flash also proceeds spherically from the origin in the other frame. You have no math to support your own silly claims.

I already know the know the equations show two different origins for one light sphere.

Now that you have admitted this, operating from the light sphere, how do you make this happen?

cfrogue said:
Please consider post #211.
Oops, I did indeed miss this one.
cfrogue said:
Look at the https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2464800&postcount=88" again, note that the lines t=0 and t'=0 intersect only at the origin. You cannot synchronize all of the clocks in each frame, you can only synchronize one clock in each frame. The relativity of simultaneity requires that all of the remaining clocks be out of sync between the frames.

I suspect this is just a communication problem and that you understand that already.

cfrogue said:
I already know the know the equations show two different origins for one light sphere.

Now that you have admitted this, operating from the light sphere, how do you make this happen?
I already told you in post 218 that the light spheres in different frames are not "one light sphere" but rather different cross-sections of the same light cone, so I guess the taunting "now that you have admitted this" is just one of those "pointless little snide side comments" that DaleSpam referred to in post 219. Not going to keep discussing this stuff with you if you act in this sort of trollish way.

DaleSpam said:
Oops, I did indeed miss this one.Look at the https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2464800&postcount=88" again, note that the lines t=0 and t'=0 intersect only at the origin. You cannot synchronize all of the clocks in each frame, you can only synchronize one clock in each frame. The relativity of simultaneity requires that all of the remaining clocks be out of sync between the frames.

I suspect this is just a communication problem and that you understand that already.

This diagram does not address the many different origins.

Why??

If it does not, then it is incomplete.

Do you know what that means in mathematical logic?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complete_theory

JesseM said:
I already told you in post 218 that the light spheres in different frames are not "one light sphere" but rather different cross-sections of the same light cone, so I guess the taunting "now that you have admitted this" is just one of those "pointless little snide side comments" that DaleSpam referred to in post 219. Not going to keep discussing this stuff with you if you act in this sort of trollish way.

Why do you need to call me names given that I corrected you into accepting the fact that there exists two different light spheres?

How do you make this happen in the context of one light sphere?

cfrogue said:
Why do you need to call me names given that I corrected you into accepting the fact that there exists two different light spheres?
There are an infinite number of light spheres, one for every single instant (single value of the time coordinate) in any given frame. A light sphere at a single instant in one frame consists of events on the light cone that are spread out over many different times in the other frame, and thus are part of many different light spheres in that frame. If you have trouble understanding what I'm talking about that's fine, but don't accuse me of "admitting" something I didn't admit or I'll assume you're trolling.
cfrogue said:
You did not understand what I said.

t = r/(λ*(c+v))

What is t'?

t' = t*λ for time dilation?
No, it's you who doesn't understand. t' = r/c, just like I said. If we assume that in frame O the light was emitted at x=0 and t=0, and that the light hit the left end of the rod at x=-rc/(gamma*(c+v)) and t=r/(gamma*(c+v)), then just apply the Lorentz transformation and you'll see that t'=r/c. This is the time that would show on a clock at the left end when the light hit it, assuming the clock was set to show a time of 0 at t'=0 in this frame (the time when the light was emitted in this frame).

JesseM said:
There are an infinite number of light spheres, one for every single instant (single value of the time coordinate) in any given frame. A light sphere at a single instant in one frame consists of events on the light cone that are spread out over many different times in the other frame, and thus are part of many different light spheres in that frame. If you have trouble understanding what I'm talking about that's fine, but don't accuse me of "admitting" something I didn't admit or I'll assume you're trolling.

I did not see you put these light spheres at an origin. What is the origin?

JesseM said:
No, it's you who doesn't understand. t' = r/c, just like I said. If we assume that in frame O the light was emitted at x=0 and t=0, and that the light hit the left end of the rod at x=-rc/(gamma*(c+v)) and t=r/(gamma*(c+v)), then just apply the Lorentz transformation and you'll see that t'=r/c. This is the time that would show on a clock at the left end when the light hit it, assuming the clock was set to show a time of 0 at t'=0 in this frame (the time when the light was emitted in this frame).

OK, does time dilation not apply?

Please explain why.

I am glad to see you knew what I was doing.

But, you will now need to support time dilation.

JesseM said:

This is time dilation.

Why does it not apply?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_dilation

cfrogue said:
This diagram does not address the many different origins.
It does.

Observe the intersection of the light cone with the line t=1. This is the unprimed light sphere at t=1. Observe the intersection of the light cone with the line t'=1. This is the primed light sphere at t'=1.

Note that the midpoint of the unprimed light sphere is on the line x=0. Note that the midpoint of the primed light sphere is on the line x'=0. As you can see in the diagram, the two different light spheres have two different centers.

DaleSpam said:
It does.

Observe the intersection of the light cone with the line t=1. This is the unprimed light sphere at t=1. Observe the intersection of the light cone with the line t'=1. This is the primed light sphere at t'=1.

Note that the midpoint of the unprimed light sphere is on the line x=0. Note that the midpoint of the primed light sphere is on the line x'=0. As you can see in the diagram, the two different light spheres have two different centers.

so is
t' = t*λ

where t = r/(λ*(c+v))

cfrogue said:
I did not see you put these light spheres at an origin. What is the origin?
Look at the diagram:

lightconecenters.gif

This diagram is drawn from the perspective of A's frame, with A at rest at the origin of this frame...the horizontal axis is x and the vertical axis is t, so you can say that A's position on the horizontal axis is x=0, and the light is first emitted from this position at t=0. B is at the origin of his own frame, at x'=0, and the tip of the light cone where the light was first emitted is also t'=0. You can see that for A, the light sphere at the moment of the event E on the left also contains the event E1 on the right, and that A is exactly midway between E and E1 at the moment these events occur. You can also see that for B, the light sphere at the moment of the event E on the left contains the event E2 on the right, and that B is exactly midway between E and E2 at the moment these events occur (according to his own definition of simultaneity). You can look at the graph to find the coordinates of all these events if you want to check the math--for example, in the A frame E occurs at (x=-2, t=2) and E2 occurs at (x=6, t=6), while the event on B's worldline that is simultaneous with these events in his own frame occurs at (x=2, t=4). If you apply the Lorentz transformation to all three of these events (using v=0.5c), you find that in B's frame they all happen at the same t' coordinate, and that the event on B's worldline occurs at x'=0 while E and E2 happen at equal distances from B on either side.
cfrogue said:
OK, does time dilation not apply?

Please explain why.

I am glad to see you knew what I was doing.

But, you will now need to support time dilation.
It does apply. Because of the relativity of simultaneity, if the clock at the left end of the rod reads 0 at t'=0 in the rod's rest frame, in frame O it does not read 0 at t=0, instead it already reads rv/c^2 at t=0. So, if in frame O the clock ticks forward by t/gamma = r/(gamma^2*(c+v)) in the time it takes the light to reach it, as predicted by the time dilation equation, then the time it will show when the light reaches it will be rv/c^2 + r/(gamma^2*(c+v)).

With a little algebra we can simplify this:

rv/c^2 + r/(gamma^2*(c+v)) = rv/c^2 + r*(1 - v^2/c^2)/(c+v) = [rv*(c+v)]/[c^2*(c+v)] + [rc^2*(1 - v^2/c^2)]/[c^2*(c+v)] = [rvc + rv^2 + rc^2 - rv^2]/[c^2*(c+v)] = [rc*(c+v)]/[c^2*(c+v)] = r/c.

So, taking the initial time on the rod clock at t=0 in frame O (which is not zero due to the relativity of simultaneity) and adding the elapsed time in frame O predicted by the time dilation equation yields the correct prediction that the clock will read r/c when the light reaches it.

JesseM said:
Look at the diagram:

lightconecenters.gif

This diagram is drawn from the perspective of A's frame, with A at rest at the origin of this frame...the horizontal axis is x and the vertical axis is t, so you can say that A's position on the horizontal axis is x=0, and the light is first emitted from this position at t=0. B is at the origin of his own frame, at x'=0, and the tip of the light cone where the light was first emitted is also t'=0. You can see that for A, the light sphere at the moment of the event E on the left also contains the event E1 on the right, and that A is exactly midway between E and E1 at the moment these events occur. You can also see that for B, the light sphere at the moment of the event E on the left contains the event E2 on the right, and that B is exactly midway between E and E2 at the moment these events occur (according to his own definition of simultaneity). You can look at the graph to find the coordinates of all these events if you want to check the math--for example, in the A frame E occurs at (x=-2, t=2) and E2 occurs at (x=6, t=6), while the event on B's worldline that is simultaneous with these events in his own frame occurs at (x=2, t=4). If you apply the Lorentz transformation to all three of these events (using v=0.5c), you find that in B's frame they all happen at the same t' coordinate, and that the event on B's worldline occurs at x'=0 while E and E2 happen at equal distances from B on either side.

It does apply. Because of the relativity of simultaneity, if the clock at the left end of the rod reads 0 at t'=0 in the rod's rest frame, in frame O it does not read 0 at t=0, instead it already reads rv/c^2 at t=0. So, if in frame O the clock ticks forward by t/gamma = r/(gamma^2*(c+v)) in the time it takes the light to reach it, as predicted by the time dilation equation, then the time it will show when the light reaches it will be rv/c^2 + r/(gamma^2*(c+v)) = rv/c^2 + r*(1 - v^2/c^2)/(c+v) = [rv*(c+v)]/[c^2*(c+v)] + [rc^2*(1 - v^2/c^2)]/[c^2*(c+v)] = [rvc + rv^2 + rc^2 - rv^2]/[c^2*(c+v)] = [rc*(c+v)]/[c^2*(c+v)] = r/c.

Uh, does that mean that time dilation is false?

Here is the deal under SR.

t' = t*λ

where t = r/(λ*(c+v))

I set up a real problem.

cfrogue said:
Uh, does that mean that time dilation is false?

Here is the deal under SR.

t' = t*λ

where t = r/(λ*(c+v))

I set up a real problem.
No, it doesn't contradict time dilation. The time interval between the light being emitted at t=0 and the light hitting the left end was t = r/(gamma*(c+v)) in the O frame, and the time elapsed on the clock between its reading at t=0 and the its reading when the light hit it was t/gamma = r/(gamma^2*(c+v)), exactly as predicted by the time dilation equation. But since its reading at t=0 was rv/c^2, its reading when the light hit it was rv/c^2 + t/gamma, which worked out to r/c. Maybe if you'd actually pay attention and think a little before writing a knee-jerk dismissive response you'd learn more, and avoid getting everyone around you frustrated at your attitude.

JesseM said:
No, it doesn't contradict time dilation. The time interval between the light being emitted at t=0 and the light hitting the left end was t = r/(gamma*(c+v)) in the O frame, and the time elapsed on the clock between its reading at t=0 and the its reading when the light hit it was t/gamma = r/(gamma^2*(c+v)), exactly as predicted by the time dilation equation. But since its reading at t=0 was rv/c^2, its reading when the light hit it was rv/c^2 + t/gamma, which worked out to r/c. Maybe if you'd actually pay attention and think a little before writing a knee-jerk dismissive response you'd learn more, and avoid getting everyone around you frustrated at your attitude.

Yea, so let's see

t' = t*λ

where t = r/(λ*(c+v))

Thus,

t' = r/(c+v)

Is this false?

Here is the time dilation logic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_dilation