Deriving position from angular velocity on a rotating sphere.

In summary, the problem at hand is to determine if the path of a point on a rigid sphere rotating about its center, with an angular velocity of $\omega(t) = (\cos(t) , \sin(t), \sqrt(3))$, ever intersects with its starting point at (0,0,1) at a later time. The approach suggested is to use a linear system of differential equations with non-constant coefficients, which may require a different approach than the eigenvector method. There is also discussion about the direction of the angular velocity vector and its relationship to the axis of rotation.
meiji1

Homework Statement

Consider a rigid sphere of radius 1 and center at (0,0,0) that rotates about its center. The
angular velocity is $\omega(t) = (\cos(t) , \sin(t), \sqrt(3))$. Does the path of the point starting at (0,0,1) ever reach this point at a later time?

Homework Equations

We're given $\omega(t) = (\cos(t) , \sin(t), \sqrt(3))$ as the angular velocity of the rotation of the sphere, and that's it.

The Attempt at a Solution

Let $r(t)$ denote the displacement of (0,0,1) on the sphere at time t, so that $r(0) = (0,0,1)$.

(in this notation, Skew(\omega(t)) := the tensor of \omega(t), I believe)

I know that we can write $dr/dt = Skew(\omega(t)) r(t)$, and from this we induce a linear system of differential equations. From the definition of $\omega(t)$, the matrix elements of $Skew(\omega(t))$ will be non-constant. I have no idea how to solve a linear system of differential equations with non-constant coefficients. Obviously the eigenvector approach used in the constant case would fail horrendously.

Perhaps I should instead ask for a reference on that. If that's too hard or complicated a problem to tackle, could someone please suggest a different approach?

On a broader note.. the various sources I've read on angular velocity tend to say it's always parallel to the axis of rotation, but I don't believe that's true. My textbook does an example in which the angular velocity of a particle rotating about a moving axis is derived, and it is not in general parallel to whatever the axis of rotation happens to be at time t. Nonetheless, the infallible source of knowledge of all things science, Wikipedia, says without qualification that the angular velocity is parallel to the axis of rotation.. very confusing. :-/

Physics news on Phys.org
The magnitude of the angular velocity might be important as well as the rate at which the angular velocity vector rotates about the z axis?

Related to Deriving position from angular velocity on a rotating sphere.

What is angular velocity and how is it related to position on a rotating sphere?

Angular velocity is a measure of how quickly an object rotates or spins around a fixed point. On a rotating sphere, the angular velocity is directly related to the position of the object on the sphere. As the angular velocity increases, the position on the sphere also changes more rapidly.

How is the position of an object on a rotating sphere calculated using angular velocity?

The position of an object on a rotating sphere can be calculated using the formula "position = angular velocity x time". This formula takes into account the angular velocity of the object and the amount of time that has passed since the object started rotating.

What units are used to measure angular velocity and position on a rotating sphere?

Angular velocity is typically measured in radians per second (rad/s) or degrees per second (deg/s). Position on a rotating sphere can be measured in radians (rad) or degrees (deg), depending on the preferred unit of measurement.

What factors can affect the accuracy of calculating position from angular velocity on a rotating sphere?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of this calculation, including the precision of the angular velocity measurement, the stability of the rotating sphere, and any external forces acting on the object. Additionally, any errors in the time measurement can also affect the accuracy of the calculated position.

Can this same concept be applied to other types of rotating objects besides a sphere?

Yes, this concept can be applied to any type of rotating object, as long as the object's shape and rotational axis are known. However, the formula for calculating position may differ depending on the shape and axis of rotation.