Deriving Smakula's Equation for Color Center in KCl Crystal

• A
  • Thread starter Mrinmoy Naskar
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is conducting an experiment on color centers in KCl crystals and needs to use Smakula's equation to calculate the density of color centers. However, they are having trouble finding the derivation of the equation. They are looking for suggestions on how to derive the equation or any helpful resources, preferably a soft copy. A possible reference could be "F-Centers in Alkali Halides" by Jordán J. Markham, specifically chapters 1-4.
Mrinmoy Naskar
I am doing an experiment on color center in kcl crystal where I need to use smakula's eqn to calculate the density of color center.. in every textbooks only the formula has been written but I want to know the derivation of smakula's equation by considering each f center as a damped harmonic oscillator.. can anyone tell me how to derive the equation or suggest me any book (it will be very helpful if you provide me the link of the soft copy )
thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Try F-Centers in Alkali Halides
Jordán J. Markham
Chapter:1-4

What is Smakula's Equation for Color Center in KCl Crystal?

Smakula's Equation is a mathematical expression used to describe the relationship between the energy of a color center in a KCl crystal and its wavelength. It is derived from the principles of quantum mechanics and is used to calculate the energy levels and absorption spectra of color centers.

Who is Smakula and why is this equation named after him?

Smakula is a scientist who first proposed this equation in 1937 to describe the behavior of color centers in KCl crystals. He was a pioneer in the field of color center spectroscopy and his equation has been widely used in research and industry.

What are color centers and why are they important in KCl crystals?

Color centers are defects in a crystal lattice that cause the absorption or emission of light at specific wavelengths. In KCl crystals, these color centers are responsible for the characteristic color of the crystal and have important applications in optical devices and sensors.

How is Smakula's Equation derived?

Smakula's Equation is derived from the Schrödinger equation, which describes the behavior of quantum particles. By applying this equation to the electron states in a KCl crystal, we can derive an expression for the energy of a color center in terms of its wavelength.

What factors can affect the accuracy of Smakula's Equation?

The accuracy of Smakula's Equation can be affected by factors such as temperature, crystal impurities, and crystal defects. Additionally, the equation assumes a perfect crystal lattice, which may not always be the case in real-world applications. These factors should be taken into consideration when using the equation to calculate color center energies.