Deriving the Equation of Motion for an Object Thrown Vertically Upwards

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the equation for the height of an object thrown vertically upwards at a given initial speed and finding its maximum height. The equation is derived using differential equation methods and the final solution is given as h=18+30t-(gt^2)/2.
Deimantas

Homework Statement

From a height of 18 meters above ground, an object is thrown vertically upwards at a speed of 30m/s. Find the equation where height h depends on time t. Find the maximum height of the object.

Homework Equations

h=h0+v0t-(gt^2)/2

The Attempt at a Solution

The equation of motion of an object thrown vertically upwards is h=h0+v0t-(gt^2)/2
By inserting h0=18 and v0=30 we get
[itex]h=18+30t-(gt^2)/2[/itex], which is the correct answer. When t=3, h is max at 63.
Now my problem here is that instead of finding the aforementioned equation of motion in a book, i was supposed to create it myself, using differential equation methods. How?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Once the ball have been thrown up it has accelration -g, due to gravity. Acceleration is the derivative of velocity and velocity is the derivative of distance (height here).

So your differential equations problem is [itex]d^2h/dt^2= -g[/itex] with initial values h(0)= 18, h'(0)= v(0)= 30.

Deimantas said:

Homework Statement

From a height of 18 meters above ground, an object is thrown vertically upwards at a speed of 30m/s. Find the equation where height h depends on time t. Find the maximum height of the object.

Homework Equations

h=h0+v0t-(gt^2)/2

The Attempt at a Solution

The equation of motion of an object thrown vertically upwards is h=h0+v0t-(gt^2)/2
By inserting h0=18 and v0=30 we get
[itex]h=18+30t-(gt^2)/2[/itex], which is the correct answer. When t=3, h is max at 63.
Now my problem here is that instead of finding the aforementioned equation of motion in a book, i was supposed to create it myself, using differential equation methods. How?

You want to start from using that the derivative of the velocity is equal to the acceleration. So v'(t)=(-g). Integrate both sides to get v(t). Determine the constant of integration. Then v(t)=h'(t), so integrate again to get h(t)

Thanks for helping me out :)

Related to Deriving the Equation of Motion for an Object Thrown Vertically Upwards

1. What is an equation of motion?

An equation of motion is a mathematical representation of the relationship between an object's position, velocity, and acceleration over time. It describes how the position of an object changes as a function of time, taking into account its initial position, velocity, and acceleration.

2. How do you find an equation of motion?

To find an equation of motion, you first need to identify the initial conditions (position, velocity, and acceleration) of the object. Then, you can use the appropriate kinematic equations, such as the equations of motion for constant acceleration, to solve for the unknown variables and obtain the equation of motion.

3. What are the kinematic equations used to find an equation of motion?

The most commonly used kinematic equations for finding an equation of motion are the equations of motion for constant acceleration. These include:

• Position equation: x = x0 + v0t + 1/2at2
  • Velocity equation: v = v0 + at
  • Acceleration equation: v2 = v02 + 2a(x-x0)

4. Can an equation of motion be used for all types of motion?

No, an equation of motion is most commonly used for motion with constant acceleration. However, it can also be used for motion with variable acceleration by breaking the motion into small segments with constant acceleration and then combining the equations of motion for each segment.

5. How can an equation of motion be used in real-world situations?

An equation of motion can be used in real-world situations to predict an object's future position, velocity, or acceleration based on its initial conditions. It can also be used to analyze the motion of objects and make comparisons between different scenarios, such as determining the fastest route for a race or the optimal launch angle for a projectile.