Deriving the ionization energy of a hydrogen atom

In summary: Assuming the electron is obeying bohr's model of the atom its centripetal acceleration a = F / m, and by a = v2 / s, v = √(a s). The kinetic energy Ek = ½ m v2 = ½ e2/s 8.988*109 ≈ 2.18*10-18 J. This makes the extra energy gained of the assembly of the atom E = Ep + Ek ≈ -2.18*10-18 J ≈ -13.60eV which is what I was after!The ionization energy is essentially a transition from n=1 to n=∞ corresponding to emission/absorption of a photon.
Tommy R
Hi, I've just gotten started with basic quantum physics in physics class and we've just talked about ionization energy. It is stated that the energy of a hydrogen atom is -13.60eV (or -2.179aJ). I assume this is the potential energy (and that this is the reason the atom has a lower mass than the sum of the mass of its components on their own). I'm curious as to how this can be derived.

My book briefly states that the radius of the hydrogen atom (i.e. the distance between electron an proton) is 5.29*10-11 m. My thinking is the following: The electrostatic force on the electron is F=k Q1 Q2 / r2 = - k e2 / r2 in this case. The potential energy is thus Ep = F r = -k e2 / r = -8.988*109 (1.60218*10-19)2 / (5.29*10-11) ≈ -4.36*10-18 J ≈ -27.22eV ≈ 2*(-13.60eV).

So I'm off by a factor of two. But I feel like I'm on the right track since my calculated energy is so close to the double of what I want to get. I'm thinking that the electrons wave function shouldn't have any effects on this, but I'm not very familiar with this. What am I missing? Thanks for any input!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Tommy R said:
Hi, I've just gotten started with basic quantum physics in physics class and we've just talked about ionization energy. It is stated that the energy of a hydrogen atom is -13.60eV (or -2.179aJ). I assume this is the potential energy (and that this is the reason the atom has a lower mass than the sum of the mass of its components on their own). I'm curious as to how this can be derived.

My book briefly states that the radius of the hydrogen atom (i.e. the distance between electron an proton) is 5.29*10-11 m. My thinking is the following: The electrostatic force on the electron is F=k Q1 Q2 / r2 = - k e2 / r2 in this case. The potential energy is thus Ep = F r = -k e2 / r = -8.988*109 (1.60218*10-19)2 / (5.29*10-11) ≈ -4.36*10-18 J ≈ -27.22eV ≈ 2*(-13.60eV).

So I'm off by a factor of two. But I feel like I'm on the right track since my calculated energy is so close to the double of what I want to get. I'm thinking that the electrons wave function shouldn't have any effects on this, but I'm not very familiar with this. What am I missing? Thanks for any input!
You forget to add the kinetic energy of the electron :)

Likes Tommy R
Biker said:
You forget to add the kinetic energy of the electron :)
I tried this out and got it working! And it made a lot of sense, Thanks!
Assuming the electron is obeying bohr's model of the atom its centripetal acceleration a = F / m, and by a = v2 / s, v = √(a s). The kinetic energy Ek = ½ m v2 = ½ e2/s 8.988*109 ≈ 2.18*10-18 J. This makes the extra energy gained of the assembly of the atom E = Ep + Ek ≈ -2.18*10-18 J ≈ -13.60eV which is what I was after!

Except that ionization energy is essentially a transition from n=1 to n=∞ corresponding to emission/absorption of a photon.
Ionization energy.jpg

less ground state lamb shift h x 8.183807 GHz = 2.17870936 E-18 Joules. Don't quite know how that ties in (if at all) with E = Ep + Ek ? In the formula me is the reduced electron mass and α is the fine structure constant.

Attachments

• Ionization energy.jpg
    Ionization energy.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 1,340
Last edited:

1. What is ionization energy?

Ionization energy is the amount of energy required to remove an electron from an atom or molecule in its ground state.

2. How is the ionization energy of a hydrogen atom derived?

The ionization energy of a hydrogen atom can be derived using the Rydberg formula, which relates the ionization energy to the energy levels of the electron in the atom.

3. What is the significance of the ionization energy of a hydrogen atom?

The ionization energy of a hydrogen atom is significant because it is the simplest and most well-studied atom, and its ionization energy serves as a benchmark for understanding the ionization energies of other atoms and molecules.

4. What factors affect the ionization energy of a hydrogen atom?

The ionization energy of a hydrogen atom is affected by the nuclear charge, the distance between the nucleus and the electron, and the electron's energy level. It also increases as the number of protons in the atom increases.

5. How is the ionization energy of a hydrogen atom measured?

The ionization energy of a hydrogen atom can be measured experimentally using spectroscopy techniques, which involve shining light of various wavelengths onto the atom to determine the energy required to remove an electron.