Deriving the small-x approximation for an equation of motion

In summary, the small-x approximation is a mathematical technique used to simplify equations of motion by assuming that the value of x (position) is much smaller than other variables. It is important because it simplifies complex equations, making them easier to solve and interpret. The approximation is derived by assuming x is small and neglecting higher-order terms. However, it is only valid for small values of x and may not accurately describe motion over large distances or in complex systems. It can be applied in various research fields, but its limitations must be considered.
Abhishek11235

Homework Statement

The problem is taken from Morin's book on classical mechanics. I found out Lagrangian of motion. Now to solve, we need small angle and small x approximation. The small angle approximation is easy to treat. But how to solve small x approximation i.e how do I apply it?

Homework Equations

Given ##x/l \lt\lt 1## we need to solve:
$$Ml^2\ddot\theta +ml(l\ddot\theta + \ddot x)+mx^2\ddot\theta+2mx\dot\theta\dot x=-(M+m)glsin\theta - mgxcos\theta$$

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I tried to divide whole expression and since ##x\lt\lt
Screenshot_2019-01-28-23-47-10.png
l##,
I ignored these terms. But the answer was wrong. How do I solve it?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-01-28-23-47-10.png
    Screenshot_2019-01-28-23-47-10.png
    21.5 KB · Views: 1,440
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Defining your variables, perhaps including a picture, are necessary.

I suspect one can simply relate x, l, and theta in the case of sufficiently small x.

Abhishek11235 said:

Homework Statement

The problem is taken from Morin's book on classical mechanics. I found out Lagrangian of motion. Now to solve, we need small angle and small x approximation. The small angle approximation is easy to treat. But how to solve small x approximation i.e how do I apply it?

Homework Equations

Given ##x/l \lt\lt 1## we need to solve:
$$Ml^2\ddot\theta +ml(l\ddot\theta + \ddot x)+mx^2\ddot\theta+2mx\dot\theta\dot x=-(M+m)glsin\theta - mgxcos\theta$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to divide whole expression and since ##x\lt\lt View attachment 237939 l##,I ignored these terms. But the answer was wrong. How do I solve it?[/B]
If ##x## and ##\theta## (and their derivatives) are small, you can neglect products of them, so you have ##x^2 \ddot \theta \approx 0## and ##x \dot \theta \dot x \approx 0##. Don't forget that ##\sin \theta \approx \theta## and ##x \cos \theta \approx x.##

If ##x<<l## implies ##/dot x<<##?
Ray Vickson said:
If ##x## and ##\theta## (and their derivatives) are small, you can neglect products of them, so you have ##x^2 \ddot \theta \approx 0## and ##x \dot \theta \dot x \approx 0##. Don't forget that ##\sin \theta \approx \theta## and ##x \cos \theta \approx x.##

Abhishek11235 said:
If ##x<<l## implies ##/dot x<<##?
No, obviously not. The function ##x(t) = 0.05 \sin(1000 t)## satisfies ##|x| \leq 0.05,## but ##x'(t) = 200 \cos(1000 t)## is not always small, and that is even more true for ##x''(t) = -200,000 \sin(1000 t).## So, no: what I said was "If ##x## and ##\theta## (and their derivatives) are small", then … Somehow you need to get some decent bounds on the derivatives as well, so the problem is not yet solved.

1. What is the small-x approximation?

The small-x approximation is a mathematical technique used to simplify an equation of motion by neglecting terms that are proportional to the small variable x. This is often done to make the equation more manageable and easier to solve.

2. When is the small-x approximation applicable?

The small-x approximation is applicable when the variable x is much smaller than other variables in the equation. This typically occurs when x is approaching zero, but the exact threshold may vary depending on the specific equation and context.

3. How is the small-x approximation derived?

The small-x approximation is derived by assuming that x is small and then expanding the equation using a Taylor series. The higher order terms in the series, which are proportional to x, are then neglected to obtain the simplified equation.

4. What are the limitations of the small-x approximation?

The small-x approximation is only applicable when x is much smaller than other variables in the equation. If x is not significantly smaller, the neglected terms may have a significant impact on the accuracy of the solution. Additionally, the approximation may not be valid for all values of x, and it is important to check the validity of the approximation for the specific problem at hand.

5. Can the small-x approximation be used for all types of equations of motion?

No, the small-x approximation is generally only applicable to linear equations of motion. It may not be valid for more complex equations, such as those involving non-linear terms or higher order derivatives.